Read 2400 times

• KacL
  • Adventurer

• January 14, 2013, 09:05:25 pm
    • Gokseong
Time off for funerals
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:42 pm »
Does anyone have any experience with their hogwan granting them time off for funerals? One of my relatives just passed away in the states, and if my Mom wants me to come home then I'll be there. If my hogwan is going to throw a fit then I'd consider a midnight run. I just want to know if anyone has any experience with this before I bring it up to my employers.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:13:35 pm by KacL »

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Time off for funerals
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:40:38 pm »
EPIK contracts have a clause for this.  Seven days for the death of a parent or spouse, five days for a child.  Maybe your contract has something.  If not, don't forget family is very important here, you might be able to negotiate something, perhaps unpaid.

Good luck.

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 11:20:52 pm »
I went home for my grandmothers funeral, the school was fine with it but I used some of my annual leave.

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 08:40:12 am »
If you have emergency surgery and can walk to the bathroom in your hospital room or someone close dies don't expect Koreans to care one bit. I'm sure some do care, but I know and have heard of a lot of if you can walk then you should ....Bali Bali Bali to school even to desk warm.
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

• mycena
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2011, 10:59:19 am
    • Masan
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 01:23:20 pm »
It really depends on your boss. My grandma died about 6 months after I arrived in Korea. Naturally, I wanted to fly home for a week to attend the funeral. My boss told me I was welcome to, but I wouldn't have a job when I got back. YMMV.

• writerly
  • Adventurer

• June 21, 2011, 12:35:07 am
    • Canada
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 10:21:23 am »
I don't, but the mother of a co-worker died while she was here, and I covered some classes for her. Our boss was very understanding and my co-worker went home right away for a week. I assume it was without pay (fair enough), and my co-worker still had her job when she came back.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2013, 10:30:09 am »
EPIK contracts have a clause for this.  Seven days for the death of a parent or spouse, five days for a child.  Maybe your contract has something.  If not, don't forget family is very important here, you might be able to negotiate something, perhaps unpaid.

Good luck.

This tends to be the extent of it. My grandmother was very ill and had several close calls during my first semester. To be prepared, I asked my coordinator about it. She checked it out and grandparents/aunts/uncles/cousins/siblings aren't covered. My grandmother died while I was home visiting during vacation, so the leave situation turned out to be a non-issue.

Sorry for your loss.

• klin062
  • Veteran

• March 10, 2011, 02:28:48 pm
    • Seongnam
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 10:34:38 am »
I would check with your boss.  My school said I could take three days to go home when my grandad died but I would have to use vacation days.
Sounds like everyone has difference experiences with this so I'd ask your boss directly.
Good luck, I hope you can work something out.

• gamgokt
  • Veteran

• February 18, 2013, 09:49:58 am
    • here and there
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 11:44:32 am »
Does anyone have any experience with their hogwan granting them time off for funerals

For hagwons it is up to the individual owner, for public schools all time off is stated in the contract.

• taewon
  • Super Waygook

• July 04, 2012, 12:00:38 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 11:52:03 am »
Expect them not to give time off or even care, if they do then your lucky. Oh, my twin brother died - sorry you need to stay here and babysit these kids. I've found most korean people view you as trash, but trash they need or are forced to have .
"One year they asked me to be poster boy - for birth control."
Rodney Dangerfield

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2013, 12:30:01 pm »
Yes.  I once worked for a small hagwon, when my mother suddenly passed away a couple of years ago without any notice like having been hospitalized.  I was able to get three and a  half days off to fly home, help out a little bit and then get right back on a couple of airplanes to return to Korea.  It took me more than twenty hours to get home one way, but it was worth it, and I spent some really high quality time with my brother.  The flights also cost a couple of  million won, too, as I was obviously unable to get a cheaper flight, but it was all worth it.  Try and see what you can do to negotiate to take the time off and either lose wages or make up the lost time later with your co-workers.   I have heard that you can get a bereavement/funeral discount from the airlines if you have proof, but I didn't at the time, so I paid full fare.  If you go, you should look into any discounts for traveling by air to a funeral.