Read 2919 times

• dash17
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2011, 07:11:00 pm
    • New Zealand : Wellington
I'm public school EPIK program. I was placed in a tiny town outside a large city, and wanted to relocate to that city so I could be nearer my friends and, like, a convenience store.

At contract renewal time, I let my co-teacher know I wanted to change apartments. However on the day I was meant to sign my contract, the principal told me that if I wanted to move, I may as well go back to my home country, because they would look for a new teacher (e.g. refuse my renewal).

I agreed to stay put, because I really liked my students and my teaching hours. But now I wonder if what they did was legal? Doesn't it clearly state in our contracts that if we want to move from assigned housing, they will give us 400,000 per month to use for rent?

On what grounds (if any) can they legally refuse this?

Re: school refused to renew my contract if I requested apartment change
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:24:59 pm »
Yah man, you should have called his bluff.

• Crowded
  • Adventurer

• September 26, 2012, 12:10:48 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:25 pm »
Do you want the 400k a month, or do you want them to get you another apartment in the city?

If you just want the 400k a month, I think they might have been confused about what you were saying. You should have no problems switching to the 400k a month option.

If you want them to relocate you to another apartment in the city, then you are honestly SOL. Apartments in the city are going to be WAY more expensive. They aren't obligated to move you. If this scenario is the case, then I would have suggested just trying to change to a public school in the city.

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:26:36 pm »
Article 12.3- " Employer shall provide...rent subsidy upon mutual agreement between the employer and the employee."

It seems there is nothing you can do. How typical though to wait and tell you on contract signing day! Hope things look up for you ! :azn:
meow

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 12:29:31 pm »
they can choose not to renew you if they want.

• dash17
  • Veteran

• August 05, 2011, 07:11:00 pm
    • New Zealand : Wellington
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 12:30:37 pm »
Thanks Laci_teacher. I know there's nothing I can do about it at this stage, I just wanted to check whether it was in the contract. Cheers for clearing that up for me.

Yah man, you should have called his bluff.

Ha. I did. I called his bluff... but over the weekend I thought hard about it and on Monday went back and grovelled for my job back. LOL. I had to write a letter of apology  and everything.
In retrospect I realize that I should have just followed my gut and left. My current apartment is really in the middle of nowhere - at least 3km from the nearest convenience store. The only benefit about my having stayed is the money.

• bkiddie95
  • Newgookin

• October 25, 2012, 03:09:07 pm
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:39:00 pm »
They made you write a letter of apology?  I'm indignant on your behalf.

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 01:19:45 pm »
I have never heard of that before! They must have been really upset. Jeez Louise!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:22:31 pm by Laci_teacher »
meow

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2013, 08:07:24 am »
Oh no! You should have thought hard about your feelings. Does your living place make you miserable? You don't even have food nearby! haha
I would have just found another job, many are hiring and many new teachers leave a high possibility of quitting. That's just rude that they gave you an ultimatum though.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:53 am »
OP, can you post the apology letter?   Is it something like this?

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 08:42:13 am by newb »
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2013, 08:36:23 am »
OP, can you post the apology letter?

Well give them notice and that leaves you a few months to sort out a new job or them to stew over their stupidity.

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2013, 09:56:23 am »
The principal probably told you that because they have a signed contract with the owner of your apartment and they don't want to cancel it and eat the penalties.  You could have told them you wanted to find your own apartment. 

It's interesting that you have to write a letter of apology.  Now you know how they really look at you, well at least, how the principal really looks at you.  And you also got a lesson in how the older Korean generation thinks, too. 

• JCongo
  • Veteran

• December 03, 2012, 10:25:02 am
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2013, 10:31:54 am »
You chose the wrong time to ask IMO. Should have told them in the first couple months you wanted to move or you were going to bail. That would cost them a lot more pain and they would have probably switched you back then. Now that you are at the end of the contract they can just get someone new to come live there.