Read 1558 times

• dachiza727
  • Super Waygook

• June 24, 2010, 09:52:23 pm
    • South Korea
    more
English Speaking Robots Arrival
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:35:42 am »
Desk warming today, and in rolls a 14million won english speaking robot.  I'm beginning to think my job isn't secure as I thought.

this r2d2 looking guy has been staring at me for the past 45 minutes.  I learn how to opperate it later this afternoon.  "frank and the robot" lol

anyone else got a robot?
"Iíll have a vanilla...one of those vanilla bullshit things. You know, whatever you want, some vanilla bullshit latte cappa thing. Whatever you got."

true dat.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
Re: English Speaking Robots Arrival
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 12:27:56 pm »
i want a robotic cat that speaks english.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 12:29:21 pm »
Well, we've all heard stories for a few years about English robots. They seem pretty rare, and teachers that have received them in the past said their schools eventually stopped using them altogether. Collecting dust in the corner!

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 12:42:34 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about these dust collectors.  This can easily go with the other thread on translators making language teachers obsolete--obviously years away!

Check out last night's Colbert Report where they show abc news captioning using some program to translate Marco Rubio's rebuttal to the state of the union.  Hilarious.

e.g. "I'm at the home of the body in August to pay thugs and be asked what's the hamas."

When you consider language is always changing I pretty confident it'll be a long, long time before we see C-3PO.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 09:43:14 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much about these dust collectors.  This can easily go with the other thread on translators making language teachers obsolete--obviously years away!

Check out last night's Colbert Report where they show abc news captioning using some program to translate Marco Rubio's rebuttal to the state of the union.  Hilarious.

e.g. "I'm at the home of the body in August to pay thugs and be asked what's the hamas."

When you consider language is always changing I pretty confident it'll be a long, long time before we see C-3PO.

Yeah I saw that, it was funny!

Ha ha, I doubt abc's text translation is the best tech can do now. But keep hoping...you don't want to lose your cushy job and benefits!

By benefits I mean listening to the VP snore as you deskwarm in his office.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 10:30:54 am »
I would be hopeful the robot could run to the local corner store for you.