Read 1496 times

Vacation days cut?
« on: February 15, 2013, 09:58:39 am »
Hey all, just had a quick scan but couldn't see an answer...

I just wondered if anyone has got their new contracts and see that their vacation days have been slashed?  We still get the 18 days vacation but our re contracting vacation has been cut from 10 days to 5 days.  Is this the new standard? 

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Re: Vacation days cut?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 09:59:16 am »
Hey all, just had a quick scan but couldn't see an answer...

I just wondered if anyone has got their new contracts and see that their vacation days have been slashed?  We still get the 18 days vacation but our re contracting vacation has been cut from 10 days to 5 days.  Is this the new standard?

Yes, it's the new standard.

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 10:04:51 am »
Really?  That sucks.  I work at an english village so our contracts are staggered.  it seems like who resigned before march got to keep they severence and extra holidays, but if you are resigning now you don't.  Our school use to roll over vacation days, so i went from having a potential 41 vacation days in my next contract, to 23 in the space of a day. F@cking great.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 10:13:48 am »
I think you mean re-signed.

I am with EPIK and our new contracts will have one week renewal bonus vacation.  Last time it was two weeks.

Them's the breaks, but at least you know ahead of time, so that you can choose to sign or look elsewhere for something better.

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 10:59:30 pm »
Yep looks like it. SMOE renewal bonus have been reduced to one week.

Kinda makes sense, because some (most?) schools have extended their school terms recently (i believe because of fitting Saturday schedules into M-F) so that means that some NSETs, after taking Winter/Summer camps, into account had 6 weeks holidays (if they had renewed) but only something like 5 weeks where school was officially out in a year.

To me, it makes sense that way from an employer's persepctive, why would you give your employees MORE holidays than school holiday times, effectively causing you to have to juggle routines and give half-days etc etc.

(of course this reasoning sn't going to apply to all schools but something I have found to be a common feature in friend's schools recently).
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Nivea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 02, 2011, 11:23:30 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2013, 01:54:24 am »
I think you mean re-signed.

I am with EPIK and our new contracts will have one week renewal bonus vacation.  Last time it was two weeks.

Them's the breaks, but at least you know ahead of time, so that you can choose to sign or look elsewhere for something better.

For you re-sign for 2013/2014 you get 2 weeks in Busan but the current new contract say if you re-sign for 2014/2015 you will get one extra week. I do think that the conditions aren't so great but that was one of the few things that BMOE actually told people in good time.

I have been told that public school teachers in Gimhae don't do desk warming so even new teachers get 8 weeks holiday.

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2013, 03:53:33 pm »
the good news is these are the MINIMUMS under the contract. I am sure if you are in a major city under EPIK, GEPIK etc you will be held to these standards. But if you are in a small town/rural school they are afraid of losing the teacher, especially rural (my job couple years ago) and they tend to be more generoud with a few extra days here or there. If you want the possibility of having a true 2 week or 2 1/2 week break here or there.....rural schools.