Read 24847 times

• hangook77
  • The Legend

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
Re: Great news! The Housing Allowance is not included in your severance
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2020, 08:00:52 am »
I know one dude who cashes his out last summer and he said he got just the salary and not the housing allowance.  Some education offices will let you cash it out if you are in need of a housing deposit.  (One exception to the rule, I guess.)  Have to do it before you renew your new contract. 

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2020, 08:28:03 am »
My housing allowance is paid to me separately and is the exact amount of my rent.  It is not taxed and won't be included in my severance payout. 

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2020, 10:32:47 am »
I've heard very conflicting information about this. Apparently, it depends on how it is paid to you. If it comes all in one deposit you may be able to get the housing included. But who knows, probably depends on the mood of the people working that day.

• OnNut81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2020, 11:04:32 am »
In my third year at my current school the new admin. lady lumped it all together at tax time and then said I had to catch up on these missed taxes for the year. I was ok with it as I had the money to pay and in the end it would result in my severance pay including the housing, if it was all being taxed.  The Co-t teacher was all apologetic, but I had to explain that this would start off a chain reaction.  I explained that it wasn't just a one off thing and that this would jump up my severance pay and both myself and the school would have to compensate for the changes.  Me with back taxes and them with meeting the new severance pay amount.  That lit a fire under the admin. lady who previously said there was nothing she could now do.  All of a sudden she realised she was going to be accountable to the school.  So, I had to send the school screen shots of every rent payment I had made over the course of that year and since the amount of rent paid and the housing stipend matched they were somehow able to right the ship.  You couldn't just filter out particular payments so the pages I was sending included other purchases.  Nothing bad, like a payment to the Utopia Anma, but the odd GS 25 purchase at 1:00am on a Tuesday. 

Anyways, they are much more resourceful when figuring out issues when it is also their problem.