Read 5667 times

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• November 04, 2012, 05:25:02 pm
    • South Korea
Re: References Letters From Problem Schools
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 10:27:30 am »

Most likely several have been hit by cars, then. It's crazy but true; young people have been known to ignore risks so they can appear more 'cool' than they really are. Fortunately smoking takes a lot longer to kill you than 2 tonnes of metal hitting you at 60 kph.

People rebel period.  In the States, jaywalking is illegal for sure, but people are smart enough to cross when tumbleweeds are blowing through the street.  Moreover, people aren't strict AT ALL about enforcing the rule. 

At the end of the day, it's pragmatic choice: is it worth the risk or not?  I talked to my students and show them the proper times to cross, sometimes when we're all running late.  I'm trying to make my kids smarter.  Again, it isn't like it's Dirty Dancing, and I'm the only rebel; everyone does it here.  Countless Koreans, young and old, do it at that crosswalk - they did it before I got there and will do it when I leave. 
"We're entrusted with the same tomorrow..."
-- El-P

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 10:35:49 am »
Your point is somewhat valid: I did "jaywalk" in front of my school. But let me put it into perspective for you.  First of all, before I even began to do it, the students did it all of the time, along with regular Korean citizens - all of the time.  As for the direct order thing, noone can tell me what to do in my personal time.  If that crosswalk was school property, that'd be a different story.

Well yes they can tell you to stop BREAKING THE LAW! Whether it is in your free time or not! It doesn’t matter that your students do it. You are an adult and a teacher, you should be 'squeaky clean' so to speak - even if ALL your other teachers are doing bad things/being lazy ect! Two wrongs don’t make a right - especially when you are a Waygook!

If you're going to be (brave/silly) enough to point out the faults of the school, you sure has hell better be 'whiter that white' so to speak!  :laugh: Mud sticks – when you are a Waygook!

You can argue all you want on Waygook.org – BUT you are in the wrong.

They are saying (from what you are implying) that they’ve said that you are a good TEACHER but have a flawed personality….. You have basically for X amount of months been metaphorically ‘flipping off’ your principal (or whichever superior told you to stop jay walking) by ignoring their (request= instruction).

Now you are asking for their help (yes it is help in a Koreans eyes) by asking for a reference. As others have said, legally all they have to give is the Employment certificate.

So now the choice is yours – eat humble pie, say sorry, maybe bring in a cake or something and try to mend the broken bridge. Or don’t; waste more time here on Waygook complaining about how bad you have it!

Maybe write a letter to Whoopi Goldberg and try and get her support?

Your analogy of the Mississippi thing is flawed btw! They were often innocent – you are guilty. Take the chip off your shoulder and sort this out as quickly and as pain free as possible!

I hope it works out for you, because it sounds like you are a good teacher and you CARE. Learn from this. Pick your battles and learn to smile, little bow and move on!

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 10:46:02 am »
People rebel period.  In the States, jaywalking is illegal for sure, but people are smart enough to cross when tumbleweeds are blowing through the street.  Moreover, people aren't strict AT ALL about enforcing the rule. 

At the end of the day, it's pragmatic choice: is it worth the risk or not?  I talked to my students and show them the proper times to cross, sometimes when we're all running late.  I'm trying to make my kids smarter.  Again, it isn't like it's Dirty Dancing, and I'm the only rebel; everyone does it here.  Countless Koreans, young and old, do it at that crosswalk - they did it before I got there and will do it when I leave.

At the end of the day their moms are going to learn that their cool, western, good-lookin', smart teacher has been encouraging them to run across lanes of traffic if they're late, rather than just get out of their god-darn bed on time.

Unless other teachers are telling them to cross on a green, then that would be unfair.

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 10:49:32 am »
Please keep the comments on topic to advice on how to get a reference letter from a school with who the teacher is not on good terms. All further comments on jaywalking and etc will be deleted.

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 10:59:45 am »
Well yes they can tell you to stop BREAKING THE LAW! Whether it is in your free time or not! It doesn’t matter that your students do it. You are an adult and a teacher, you should be 'squeaky clean' so to speak - even if ALL your other teachers are doing bad things/being lazy ect! Two wrongs don’t make a right - especially when you are a Waygook!

If you're going to be (brave/silly) enough to point out the faults of the school, you sure has hell better be 'whiter that white' so to speak!  :laugh: Mud sticks – when you are a Waygook!

You can argue all you want on Waygook.org – BUT you are in the wrong.

They are saying (from what you are implying) that they’ve said that you are a good TEACHER but have a flawed personality….. You have basically for X amount of months been metaphorically ‘flipping off’ your principal (or whichever superior told you to stop jay walking) by ignoring their (request= instruction).

Now you are asking for their help (yes it is help in a Koreans eyes) by asking for a reference. As others have said, legally all they have to give is the Employment certificate.

So now the choice is yours – eat humble pie, say sorry, maybe bring in a cake or something and try to mend the broken bridge. Or don’t; waste more time here on Waygook complaining about how bad you have it!

Maybe write a letter to Whoopi Goldberg and try and get her support?

Your analogy of the Mississippi thing is flawed btw! They were often innocent – you are guilty. Take the chip off your shoulder and sort this out as quickly and as pain free as possible!

I hope it works out for you, because it sounds like you are a good teacher and you CARE. Learn from this. Pick your battles and learn to smile, little bow and move on!

You make good points, no doubt. 

However, I should clarify a couple of things. First, the Mississippi reference is in regards to what has happened to me after the jaywalking incident, actually.  Everyone moved on from that, but made new problems when I re-signed.  This involved exaggerations and downright lies about me and themselves.  In those cases, I was in the right.  Secondly, I'm only complaining on here because I'm deskwarming and am bored as heck.   ;D  Moreover, my complaints on this thread stemmed from a genuine and important question.  I don't think I put anything too negative about my coworkers in the initial post.

One of the reasons for my hesitation towards "mending the broken bridge" is that, after two years with me, these people know that I'm not the kind of guy to change like that.  They would know the move was fake; I'm not one to fake my emotions like that.  Even when I tried to mend the bridge over the trivial jaywalking bit during the first year, they still stuck it to me in the letter.  I wish I had it on hand to share some of the ridiculous quotes in there.  With so much negativity in it over something so little, compared to the positive things I did for the school, I don't know why the woman chose to write it at all.  If that was then, I don't even want to imagine what this new one would look like.

Lastly, thanks for the kind words.   ;D Something will work out.  I just reason something'll work out faster if I get this letter.  In any case, half of the initial post was asking how to get around receiving a letter anyway.
-- El-P

• cracker
  • Veteran

• April 04, 2011, 12:20:11 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 11:09:03 am »
This involved exaggerations and downright lies about me and themselves.  In those cases, I was in the right.  Secondly, I'm only complaining on here because I'm deskwarming and am bored as heck

I only replied to your post as, I too am bored as heck!  ;D

I know what you mean about not wanting to appear 'fake' by changing your tune so quickly. I can understand that!

Hopefully you work something out with them and they write you a nicer one!

• livzy
  • Super Waygook

• April 21, 2012, 09:08:25 pm
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 11:34:11 am »
It could be a face-saving problem, if so that old chestnut rears its head once again.

• FalseFace
  • Super Waygook

• South Korea
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 12:24:37 pm »
Back to the problem at hand: Is it possible for your recruiter to call the school and request the letter? Sometimes this helps as he/she can indicate your imperative need for this letter as well as maybe relate your willingness to mend fences over a tumultuous year.

That's a great idea: asking a neutral party.  However, like I said above, if they wrote something so negative about the trivial thing I did during my first contract, I can only imagine what they'd write for this one.  It would be useless.

I'll give it a shot though. Thank you.

Peace
-- El-P