Read 2933 times

epik summer vacation window?
« on: February 11, 2013, 06:19:05 pm »
anybody know when exactly epik public schools close down (im told july) in summer 2013? im trying to book my travel tickets in advance. thanks

Re: epik summer vacation window?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 06:24:17 pm »
Not a very good idea to book your tickets....at least not now. Maybe two weeks in advance, but now...that's laughable.  You'll have camp to do and there's always last minute changes that will get you screwed over.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 07:27:44 pm »
You need to get your foot down and talk to your co-t about it.  They should have the schedule already made up as to when the school is out, summer camp, etc.  They should have all schedule preplanned for year 2013.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 07:36:52 pm »
anybody know when exactly epik public schools close down (im told july) in summer 2013? im trying to book my travel tickets in advance. thanks

EPIK schools do not operate on the same timetable.  You need to ask your school for their vacation dates and confirm with your co-teacher that the dates you want are ok

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:03:15 pm »
You need to get your foot down and talk to your co-t about it.  They should have the schedule already made up as to when the school is out, summer camp, etc.  They should have all schedule preplanned for year 2013.

people keep posting this nonsense and its simply not true.  Your co teacher doesn't even know if he/she will be teaching at that school in march.

Every school has a different vacation schedule and every school has a different camp schedule.   There is a good chance that you school could care less about your vacation plans or whether or not you can get cheap plane tickets nor should they.    Just going from memory, the contract says something about letting you request vacation a couple weeks ahead of time.   Realistically, the 3 month mark is a good time to start getting aggressive about setting your vacation dates in stone.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 07:23:08 am »

people keep posting this nonsense and its simply not true.  Your co teacher doesn't even know if he/she will be teaching at that school in march.

Every school has a different vacation schedule and every school has a different camp schedule.   There is a good chance that you school could care less about your vacation plans or whether or not you can get cheap plane tickets nor should they.    Just going from memory, the contract says something about letting you request vacation a couple weeks ahead of time.   Realistically, the 3 month mark is a good time to start getting aggressive about setting your vacation dates in stone.

If, by 'people' you mean me, then it's not nonsense.  I will be getting my copy of the school's schedule for the year this week.  I know another person at another nearby school who got theirs last week.

Most teachers know if they won't be teaching there next month because either they requested to transfer to another school, or they have reached their time limit at the current school.  Just because you have no clue about what's happening doesn't mean there isn't a plan.

Another thing, the contract specifies the minimum notice (15 days) you must give when requesting vacation time, not the time when you can make the the request.

Finally, the correct expression is "couldn't care less".  Getting it wrong is a common mistake amongst English learners, so keep studying.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 07:31:36 am »

Wut? All the teachers in my school know if they are leaving and have known for a while....at least the ones I talk to. (I thought it is pretty standard every 4 years they rotate) Also, they have been finalizing next years schedule for weeks. Should be available this week or in the next couple.

To the OP: remember that anytime up to .000000000000000000 000000001 seconds before a scheduled event it can change or a new plan can be created with the same short notice. I think it is a Korean law  :P  So I would get it in writing before I bought tickets.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 07:33:37 am by gtrain83 »

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2013, 07:45:30 am »
all the above are true. EPIK isn't incharge of school schedules. Teachers rarely know the school schedule in advance....and if they do, it's subject to change.

Usually School Ends Mid-late July and
Camp begins end of July, early-August.

Unfortunately at this time, there is no guarentee that you will get the vacation days you were promised. Even if you are lucky enough to set a date right now, book it into the system, and get it in writing......stuff happens last minute in Korea and you may end up getting screwed over.

I would discuss the topic with your co-teacher later in March. I know this sounds far off but Teachers are extremely busy with end of year paper-work...and then they're gonna be busy for most of March with the beginning of year paper-work. You're also gonna get a whack of new teachers changing into the school (maybe even new co-teachers) The school is gonna be a zoo for the next month or so.

Talk to them after the dust settles. Get your calender out and let them know a time frame you want to go home and you can work around that. Put it in their heads early, but don't rely on an exact answer right away. You may get really lucky and be able to book in advance. I was....but my co-teacher is a Head-Teacher and had a good relationship with the VP which definitely helps.