Read 1957 times

TESOL requirement?
« on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:50 am »
My mate told me a few days ago that a new requirement for teaching english in a korean public school is the TESOL cert. True/false

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
Re: TESOL requirement?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:25 am »
 both. GOE does not require one but EPIK, GEPIK, SMOE, and IMOE and BUSAN dor require it.

Edit:  I didn't know you had an MA or anything else. I thought you just had a B.A. 

Tefl/Tesol.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 07:48:28 am by money55 »

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 04:21:30 pm »
are you sure? is this recent?

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 05:12:52 pm »
Just looking at the pay scale for GEPIK, it looks like GEPIK got rid of pay scale 3, which was a degree in any field. I only see pay scale 2 and up. For pay scale 2, you must satisfy one of the following:

1. A bachelor's degree in Education
2. A bachelor in any field plus a minimum of one year of teaching at an accredited                            institution
3. A master's degree in any field
4. A bachelor in any field plus a TESOL, TEFL or CELTA of at least 100 hours certification
 OR
5. A teacher's certification in your home country

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2013, 05:27:13 pm »
Phew! I thought it had to be the tesol specifically! I got the tefl and MA so no worries there.

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2013, 09:19:18 pm »
Tefl is favoured by EPIK, they recommend people are employed if they have done 100 hours which has a 20 hour classroom component.

They advise people to do 20 hours of classroom learning.

See the newsletter below:

http://www.epik.go.kr/upload/boardnews/201209/ - See the section by Grace Jung (An Epik Fall (second article), paragraph number 2).

PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:58:31 am »
Phew! I thought it had to be the tesol specifically! I got the tefl and MA so no worries there.

If you have an MA why not put the thing to use? Go to a university or something I bet you'd be more appreciated there and also actually do more teaching. If I had an MA I'd be upset that 80% of my time, at minimum, was being used to play games or babysit.
WinRAR, WinRAR, chicken dinrar

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 08:13:12 am »

If you have an MA why not put the thing to use? Go to a university or something I bet you'd be more appreciated there and also actually do more teaching. If I had an MA I'd be upset that 80% of my time, at minimum, was being used to play games or babysit.

Depends on what the OP wants in life. I have a MSc (Tech) degree in Chemistry yet I have enjoyed my 1 year here. I know of one other guy who lost his job in the ship yards here, (business or something) got a job in an English school and ended up getting wed to the Principal. He is enjoying living here.

But we are getting of topic.

Do the 100 hours TEFL make sure you do a 20 hour classroom component - if you don't like it then consider it money well spent - it means that Korea might not be for you.

I survived quite well with 120 or 140 hours course of TEFL in Korea, in fact my orientation was 8 months late.
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 02:17:40 pm »

True that true that. This is my second year teaching elementary school and while I love the life here I HAVE been thinking about that transition to university.