Read 2404 times

• wafflebunny
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2010, 02:25:13 pm
    • Daejeon, South Korea
Korean Apologist Behavior vs. Anti-Korean behavior
« on: February 24, 2011, 04:34:12 pm »
I have seen a lot of threads and response on here lately with many complaints and debates about how the foreigners here are doing in Korea. And it seems to be a war between the Korean Apologists and the Anti-Koreans. Someone said it perfectly in another thread where they described these two:

Yes, there are sides... extremes, really. If you ever visit Dave's ESL (the largest Korea ESL forum) you should be able to easily notice this:

Korea apologists: Whenever somebody mentions something negative about Korea, the Korea apologists will come in for the defense. "We are guests," "This is a different culture," "Why don't you just leave?" etc. are all sweeping arguments made to try to cover up any negativity relating to Korea.

Korea haters: These are the miserable people that only mention negative things, and they have a lot of them. They don't like anything about Korea, yet they stay here for some reason. Likely they are just internet trolls.

Not everybody belongs to those groups, but they certainly exist! It's more prevalent on ESL Cafe.

I have to say something to say to both because I am starting to see it on here. To Korean Apologists or just people who simply love Korea, understand that not every one will like or feel comfortable in Korea. Some people want to like it better (like myself) but just have dealt with situations here that has made their stay and working here rough. But sometimes those who complain on here might just need a helping hand or some advice. The Eastern culture is still a very old culture and goes by a social doctrine (Confucian) that has rules that are considered somewhat unhealthy in modern society (like hiding ones emotions when it's okay to show emotion. It is dangerous to bottle up your emotions.) just like in Western culture we have rules considered unhealthy on our day and age. But they may  be very sensitive people who are having a hard time adjusting and might need advice other than 'If you hate it here just leave" or "You're not in America anymore!" or just taking up for a Korean who may have even had the wrong in a situation involving a foreigner. This is why many expats leave because where they can't find the support from Koreans they can't even get it from some expats.

And to the anti-Korean posters on here, if you hate Korea fine. But some people here maybe be having trouble living here and to hear a lot of hate about this country might not be very comforting to them. Plus, be understanding that no matter how twisted some things may be here (even I am always complaining about some of their ways here) you chose to come here and they are really going out of their way to make you feel welcome. So while you are hating their country, they will run after you just to return your dropped wallet while in the West they would more than likely pick up up and take it. Also understand that Koreans are still recovering from being a hermit region. Like how some anti-Korean expats show their ignorance, many Koreans are still ignorant. Two Ignorances won't make a solution. So if you're not going to leave Korea, at least don't troll the forums where people seek advice and help.

That's just my 2 cents.  :) :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 04:36:47 pm by wafflebunny »

• wajowens
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2010, 01:08:08 pm
    • Daejeon
Re: Korean Apologist Behavior vs. Anti-Korean behavior
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:20:37 pm »
stirring :(

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Re: Korean Apologist Behavior vs. Anti-Korean behavior
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 01:47:06 am »
Guys, we really don't need any more talk on "haters" versus "apologists."  This isn't Dave's ESL Cafe, and unfortunately week by week there are more threads that belong there than here. 

Thread locked because I'd rather people focus on being constructive than on bickering.
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/