Read 3522 times

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
will you be at school during "spring break"?
« on: February 07, 2013, 10:24:40 am »
I had high hopes for this break. The GEPIK contract doesn't actually mention anything about "spring break" so I was hoping FOR ONCE my school would cut me a break and spare me the misery of deskwarming for two weeks (after I just got done with deskwarming for 2.5 weeks during winter break). I actually was asked by a coworker what my plans are for the break, so I went home happy yesterday...only to come to school today and have my co-teacher hit me with this one:

"Umm, yes. You know the vacation soon? Yes...um...in a week? Yes. Well...during vacation, I need you to find me material for the next year. Yes, and please give the instructions and all your material from this year. Yes...and let us try to make the room look nice, yes?"

Nooooooo  :cry: :cry: :cry: So, I will not be free those two weeks. I won't even be deskwarming AKA watching Dexter and reading pathetic tumblrs. I will instead be slaving away under my tyrant of a co-teacher crying out "Domina! Domina!" as she brutally forces me to do her work for her.

So, anyway...will you be deskwarming? At home? On vacation? Hopefully I will not be alone in my misery  :azn: :azn: It's especially devastating to me as I have no lessons to plan for the next year since I'm leaving so soon after the spring break and already have them done...I mean...how many times can a girl watch Lost...? Answer: 8 times so far....

• toddc06
  • Super Waygook

• April 28, 2011, 10:37:54 am
    • Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi-do
Re: will you be at school during "spring break"?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 10:51:20 am »
Sorry paypapie.  That's really annoying.  :( 

I will be spending the last two weeks of my current job, at home/job searching/etc.  It was the same for winter vacation.  I will probably fill out the post-dated attendance sheet today.  But they did ask me to come one day next week for lunch with all the teachers.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:06 am »
Tough luck for me.

Glad for you, though, toddc06. My boyfriend is lucky like you and wasn't there for winter break and doesn't have to go for this upcoming break either. I even got in trouble one day for getting to sign out because they thought I left early  :cry:

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 11:07:32 am »
You are salaried for the year, which means you have to be at work all year.  If you have vacation time you can use that and you don't have to be at work.  If you don't have any vacation time (left) you have to be at work.  It's really that simple.

Some schools will cut you some slack.  Most won't.  My school has, um, low expectations for my attendance over Spring Break, targets I can easily achieve, but I do have to show up every day.

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 11:13:46 am »
I saved some days for a vacation to the Philippines :) 8 days to be exact...

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 11:29:06 am »
I've got from tomorrow to the 4th of March off, paid, in addition to the 20 days I've already had :)
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:38:16 am »
10 weekdays for Vietnam and Thailand. I always make my 'spring' vacation the longest, more than the 'winter' one in January. February in Korea is the worst month. Even back home in the Midwest, February sucks. Everyone is just tired of cold, snow, ice, muck, wearing heavy clothes, etc.

Being on a renewal contract, I had one bloc of 2 weeks last summer break, and now my full 18--8 on winter, and 10 on spring. No deskwarming for me [well, only a little].  Even on my first contract, though, I didn't get screwed like you, papaya. How come you had 2.5 weeks of DW before and now 2 weeks more? When did you take your vacation? Don't GEPIK people get 20 days? I would always save some for the last bit so they can't [easily] do this to you.

"Umm, yes. You know the vacation soon? Yes...um...in a week? Yes. Well...during vacation, I need you to find me material for the next year. Yes, and please give the instructions and all your material from this year. Yes...and let us try to make the room look nice, yes?"

The way to do this, is to get the WORST, terrible, boring or overly difficult/easy stuff you possibly can find. Anything REALLY good, that totally worked well, delete it immediately or else muck up the instructions so bad she'll look like a fool trying to do it. Give her lots of worksheets and random YouTube links that don't make any sense. And put a bunch of it all in different random zip files that are all mismatched so she'll never figure it out but will waste lots of time trying.

For all you moralizers who will duly accuse me of being 'as bad as she is', I say: any KT who demands a FT do her job for her is a lazy waste of space, ESPECIALLY in ES, and deserves nothing better. If the KT is nice and kind, then sure, share stuff. If the KT is a mooching, unhelpful, incompetent fool, why should papaya help her look good by giving her materials? She wants stuff off here, she can find it herself.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 12:07:41 pm »
@lotte world
Strange...I must be the only employee at my school salaried for the year then because no one showed up when I deskwarmed for 2.5 weeks of winter break, nor will any of my Korean coworkers be present during spring break either. But of course, I'm sure their contract is different (read: much better) than mine. Oh wait, no one was at school during summer break either! So that means that the Korean teachers have had 2.5-3 months of vacation and I only get 20 days. Hmm........

I took my 10 vacation days during the summer and 10 during January. My co-teacher said I wasn't allowed to use them during this spring break (and I was kind of hoping this was because I was just going to be given that time off).

It's funny that you suggest that Modernist, because that's exactly what my boyfriend to me to do. Give her the worst material ever, or the most complicated material, and leave directions that make no sense. I already deleted the majority of my decent files yesterday. She is really just being 100% lazy. I got pretty much everything off Waygook (call me lazy, I don't care), so the same things are available to her...except she's even lazier than me and doesn't want to go searching for them because it requires actually using the language she is paid to teach. Of course, I wonder now that she has planned my spring break for me, what she will be doing during this time? No doubt drinking her coffee and slurping loudly for hours on end.

For you guys going on vacation...were your other vacations just really short? In hindsight, I should have saved some days for these weeks, but like I said, I didn't think my school would actually make me come in. How na´ve of me to think that after 11 months of misery they would ever do anything to benefit me...

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 12:43:21 pm »
@lotte world
Strange...I must be the only employee at my school salaried for the year then because no one showed up when I deskwarmed for 2.5 weeks of winter break, nor will any of my Korean coworkers be present during spring break either. But of course, I'm sure their contract is different (read: much better) than mine. Oh wait, no one was at school during summer break either! So that means that the Korean teachers have had 2.5-3 months of vacation and I only get 20 days. Hmm........

Nope.  I said you are salaried for the year so you have to be there unless you have vacation days.

You have, rather cleverly, figured out that your contract is different to your co-teachers' contracts.  Their contract may indeed say they get 3 months' vacation.  Lucky them!  Your contract, which you agreed to, and signed, says 20 days.  That's what you get because that's how it works.

I find it ironic that many NETs are the first to complain if any single detail of their contract is not being followed, and yet, if the contract is followed to the letter they complain about that too.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 01:19:35 pm »
Everyone knows what they have signed and agreed to.

It would just be nice if we weren't treated like Johnny Foreigner all the time!

An internal message was sent around school yesterday informing teachers that their holiday 'gift' had been deposited into their banks.
That obviously wasn't meant for me.

I have to desk warm. I'll spend my time researching into my 4 day trip to Dubai enroute home in March, my trip thru Eastern Europe that starts on April 4th and applying for jobs that start in September, and think of times ahead that won't have me sitting alone in school for 8 hours a day with no classes and no prep to do!

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 01:50:03 pm »
Aw, lotte world. What a nice compliment! I am clever - thank you! And I will complain because I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick, while other NETs have schools that follow this line:

The work hours of the Employee shall follow the normal work schedule of civil servants of the Korean Government; however, such work hours may be adjusted by the school principal as he/she deems appropriate

Which implies that the principal can choose whether or not to make the NET deskwarm. So I will continue to be angry that my school follows the contract to the T while others are more lenient. How is it fair that my boyfriend has the exact same contract as me but gets x, y, and z days off? Answer: it isn't fair. Thus, my complaints.

Yes, being treated like the foreigner 24/7 drives me mad. My coworkers,  who by the way don't even celebrate Christmas or consider it a big holiday, where allowed to go home at noon Christmas eve. I was forced to stay and on top of that, had to sign out in the office so the school groundskeeper could see that I stayed till the very end of the day. That made me so angry.....

Really, I don't even mind desk warming THAT much. My anger is coming from the fact that my co-teacher is essentially going to use me as her slave for the two weeks and make me do all her work for next semester. If I were left alone to watch Dexter and eat some crackers, fine. Pay me for it. But to subject me to the inane ramblings of my co-teacher who is making me take on her responsibilities while she sips coffee and text messages her friends? Yeah, that's going to make me mad.

• Hongsam
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2011, 12:24:57 pm
    • Ansan
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 01:58:11 pm »
I also resent coming into school during the spring vacation, especially as I've just spent a week at school with no other teachers around, freezing my ass off in an unheated office. Previous schools have said I don't have to come in as long as I hand in a "research" paper at the end of the holiday. It's totally up to the principal. It's this kind of stuff that grates.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 02:03:07 pm »
Aw, lotte world. What a nice compliment! I am clever - thank you! And I will complain because I feel like I'm getting the short end of the stick, while other NETs have schools that follow this line:

The work hours of the Employee shall follow the normal work schedule of civil servants of the Korean Government; however, such work hours may be adjusted by the school principal as he/she deems appropriate

Which implies that the principal can choose whether or not to make the NET deskwarm. So I will continue to be angry that my school follows the contract to the T while others are more lenient. How is it fair that my boyfriend has the exact same contract as me but gets x, y, and z days off? Answer: it isn't fair. Thus, my complaints.

Yes, being treated like the foreigner 24/7 drives me mad. My coworkers,  who by the way don't even celebrate Christmas or consider it a big holiday, where allowed to go home at noon Christmas eve. I was forced to stay and on top of that, had to sign out in the office so the school groundskeeper could see that I stayed till the very end of the day. That made me so angry.....

Really, I don't even mind desk warming THAT much. My anger is coming from the fact that my co-teacher is essentially going to use me as her slave for the two weeks and make me do all her work for next semester. If I were left alone to watch Dexter and eat some crackers, fine. Pay me for it. But to subject me to the inane ramblings of my co-teacher who is making me take on her responsibilities while she sips coffee and text messages her friends? Yeah, that's going to make me mad.

Here's the thing.  The reason you are treated 'so badly' and that your boyfriend gets a 'better deal' is because in the past other NETs would see that others got a 'better deal' and whine about it.  They would complain to their school 'Hey!  My friend at School B is allowed to be off this entire time!  Waaaaah!  No fair!'.

To fix the problem, the schools simply stop everyone having fun, then no-one can complain that someone is having a better time than they are.

So, by all means, whine about it to your school.  What won't happen: you get more free time.  What will happen: the next guy at your bf's school will have to deskwarm.  Wow!  Thanks, predecessor.

Regarding being your co-teacher's slave- do nothing.  Really.  Goof off for the next two weeks.  They can't fire you.  They can't affect your future employment prospects.  They can't withhold any pay or benefits.  If you don't want to make it too obvious just do the minimum you can.  Or appear busy when they are looking and watch Dexter when they are not.

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

more
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 02:08:55 pm »
I will whine about it. And guess what, my boyfriend's school isn't having another foreign teacher, so there  :P :-*

And I don't care if I mess up any future NET's chance of getting to be home instead of deskwarming. It would just be cosmic payback, because that's probably why my school makes me deskwarm instead of sending me home  :evil: Plus, it's another reason to be irritated by the way Koreans do things. If everyone didn't get benefits or special treatment, maybe everyone would be as miserable as me  :afro: :afro:

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 02:12:17 pm »
What's the worse your school can do to you if you don't show up to deskwarm? Will they really fire you over it? Its the end of the year already so if you are moving schools or going home what will they do? Withhold pay?

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 02:15:06 pm »
I will whine about it. And guess what, my boyfriend's school isn't having another foreign teacher, so there  :P :-*

And I don't care if I mess up any future NET's chance of getting to be home instead of deskwarming. It would just be cosmic payback, because that's probably why my school makes me deskwarm instead of sending me home  :evil: Plus, it's another reason to be irritated by the way Koreans do things. If everyone didn't get benefits or special treatment, maybe everyone would be as miserable as me  :afro: :afro:

So glad you are going to become a lawyer.

• glb0b
  • Expert Waygook

• July 06, 2010, 03:02:56 pm
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 02:16:05 pm »

The thing is though (at least at my school) it is nothing to do with being a foreigner.

All the teachers who are on a contract must come to school every day during the vacation and deskwarm. The permanent teachers are the only ones who get to avoid deskwarming.

So we have me, my co-teacher (conversation teacher), the cleaning lady, the dinner lady and the counselling teacher. All of these are on 1 year contracts and must spend every day at school if they aren't using vacation days.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »
What's the worse your school can do to you if you don't show up to deskwarm? Will they really fire you over it? Its the end of the year already so if you are moving schools or going home what will they do? Withhold pay?

Yes, they could withhold pay if she doesn't show up.  But if she shows up and doesn't do anything then she'll get paid.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2013, 02:31:14 pm »

The thing is though (at least at my school) it is nothing to do with being a foreigner.

All the teachers who are on a contract must come to school every day during the vacation and deskwarm. The permanent teachers are the only ones who get to avoid deskwarming.

So we have me, my co-teacher (conversation teacher), the cleaning lady, the dinner lady and the counselling teacher. All of these are on 1 year contracts and must spend every day at school if they aren't using vacation days.

In my school only the admin staff come in. I've had 4 temporary English teachers this year and none of them had to desk warm! They had the holidays off.
It differs with each school.

Lotte is right about the NETs complaining tho. Back in 2008-2009 I didn't have to desk warm. Then the education offices sent letters to school demanding that NETs remain in school and sign in and out every day during the break.

Luckily, I don't have the sign in and out sheet here. Being on the 5th floor all alone, I have gotten used to stealth-ing it out.

• jamasian
  • Super Waygook

• December 05, 2011, 03:02:00 pm
    • Suncheon, S. Korea
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2013, 04:43:09 pm »
Even if I don't like it, you have the right to complain, imo, for no reason other than your coT sucks. Making you do her work isn't right. Forget fair, it's just not right.

That being said, looks like I'll be at school this year too, but since my coT isn't planning on taking any materials from me, I'm ok with it. Definitely gonna plan a nice Summer, Chuseok and next winter vacay  8) since I have the bonus of one week~~ (just renewed)

*in other thoughts -_- I wouldn't renew with your coT lol I hate that so many things are luck of the draw, such as coTs*