Read 3634 times

• timephone
  • Adventurer

• August 27, 2012, 01:27:03 pm
    • Busan
Who pays for problems in the school-provided apartment?
« on: February 06, 2013, 08:53:34 am »
The screen on my apartment's balcony is starting to rip from the insane winds that rip down the mountain I live on. Some chunks have already fallen off and it's starting to peel away at the edge of the metal frame.

I told my co-teacher (who's usually quite helpful), and she informed me that the apartment is actually owned by the BMCOE (in Busan, it's an apartment complex with lots of other foreigners) and that the school can't do anything. She said in the past that the previous foreign teachers just took care of problems on their own.

Does this mean I need to contact a repair guy on my own and pay for it out of my pocket? Should I insist on contacting my school's admin office?

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
Re: Who pays for problems in the school-provided apartment?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 08:59:56 am »
Normal wear and tear should be repaired by the landlord.  Your school should contact the landlord, BMCOE, to get it fixed. 
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 09:50:55 am »
you do.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 10:16:12 am »
you do.

Yes, in my old school I had to fork out the repair costs for the air conditioning despite only being there a short time.
My friend in the same apartment block had to pay to get the washing machine fixed, she had lived there 3 months!

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 10:36:22 am »
It depends.  Some schools might deal with everything for you, some might deal with nothing, some might do a bit.

For an insect screen you can pick up a repair patch cheaply at Daiso.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 10:51:24 am »
 When you move into a new place walk around the room and make a quick sweep with a digital camera to see and document any wear and tear prior to moving in so you dont get charged for it when you move out

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 10:55:38 am »
When I moved into my apartment everything worked ok, but everything had problems. My toilet seat was ripped up, the air-con didn't get very cold, when I put things in the fridge on 2 occasions, the shelves broke, I had water stains on my walls, the fan in the bathroom worked when it felt like it. Not to mention, the apartment was a disgusting disaster when I moved in.

I told all of these things to my co-teacher. I asked her how she would feel if she moved across the world and she was given the apartment I was given, she said she wouldn't mind because all of the things I mentioned were trivial and could be easily fixed. I said well when are you calling the repair man. Her respone, "They are not expensive, you should fix it." The only thing I fixed was the toilet seat which cost about 20,000won

Also, take pictures!! You do not want to be blamed for things that you didn't do.

• timephone
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 10:58:05 am »
When you move into a new place walk around the room and make a quick sweep with a digital camera to see and document any wear and tear prior to moving in so you dont get charged for it when you move out

I wish I'd done this when I moved in. There's scuffs and scrapes on the floor coverings. Thanks for the tip on Daiso! I was wondering where I could get supplies to try to fix it myself, although I think it may be too far gone to fix myself... It's ripped all along the top of the metal frame and is ripping from the side as well, the tear is altogether at least 1 meter x 30cm.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 11:35:10 am »
I'm with EPIK.  Our school admin head told me that MOE sends 500K each year to replace or repair things that have worn out or broken in my house. 

They've made several repairs of major appliances at my house so far.

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:30 pm »
If you are paying a monthly maintenance fee, repairs should be included with that. I contacted my real estate agent who contacted the repairman three times this year. Now my husband just calls the repairman whenever we need something done.

*screen fell out of the window and bent
*kitchen cupboards falling off the wall
*wall leaking rain water where the brick had cracked
*replacing two burned out lights I couldn't reach
*finding a solution for the mold that was growing in my apartment

Lots of things have needed repairing but I have never had to pay for any of them at any of my four apartments. Basically if your co-teacher won't call the real estate agent or the repair/maintenance man for the building, he/she is being lazy. You're paying a monthly fee and that is covering repairs like a screen. It shouldn't be coming out of your housing deposit unless you break or damage something large, especially something owned by the school.

When it is a larger situation like the boiler exploding, that's when you get to pay because it's you're fault. But just normal wear and tear from use should be taken care of by the building manager.

If they say that they still won't fix it, consider going to the wholesale construction market in Seoul if it's close enough for you. To get there you can go to Euljiro3ga on the subway and go out exit 5. On both sides of the Cheonggye Stream there are many places that sell any kind of construction materials, wall paper, light fixtures, etc. You should be able to find what you're looking for. You could walk straight all the way down to Euljiro5ga to find different shops for things you need. Maybe even farther... that's where we stopped because we looked at so much stuff.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 12:06:17 pm by sheila »
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• MissBee
  • Explorer

• September 06, 2012, 08:34:43 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 12:01:52 pm »
short answer: you.   
the last NET wrecked the place and left a moldy grimy mess, my repair dudes from the apartment complex have come twice despite my coteach calling literally daily (and done a suuuuper crap job when they finally deigned to show up), and I just paid $90 to have my air conditioner cleaned despite having nothing to do with its grossness.  I try to think of it as the true use of that settlement allowance  :-[

• timephone
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:48:41 am »
If it's just a screen, then you can easily fix it yourself. You just get some black thread and a needle and sew it back together. If you need to, you can go to any of the home and garden shops (there should be a neighborhood in your town that sells that kind of stuff) and get a half meter of screen. Cut it to the size and shape you need and then start sewing it over the hole. If the material is ripped around the edges then get some duck tape and tape it back on. (There are very few things that duck tape can't repair.)

Thanks for the tips. I mean the screen didn't just rip, it basically started to disintegrate near the top. Implying that it might be time for a replacement. If I can find some new pieces of screen then I might try this, but it's also in a very difficult place to fix. It's on the outside of my balcony, so I'd either need to pop the whole screen out of the sliding glass door frame or hang outside my third story window. I do pay 70k+ per month in apartment fees, so I'm wondering if regular maintenance for wear and tear is covered like Sheila said.

• shhowse
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2009, 08:49:24 am
    • Mokpo
    more
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:55:36 am »
In the four years I lived in my apartment I have paid on my own to have various plumbing issues fixed, the water heater repaired, a screen for one window installed, gas burner fridge and washer maintenance, and (albeit elective) a screen door installed.

My school/co-teachers were happy to help me make appointments to do so but the responsibility was mine as the tenant who 'caused' the problem. I didn't necessarily always agree with them, but none of those things cost too much, so I paid. In the end I was happier to have it fixed than get into an argument about whose responsibility it was.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:05:30 am »
I am renting my own apartment (nothing to do with the school- they pay me the allowance).  I had a problem with a light fitting, which needed an electrician.  I told the landlord who sent someone round to fix it.  I fully expected to pay, and was prepared to, but the landlord didn't ask me to.

So, it's all variable.

Fix it if you can.

Ask for help if you can't.

Don't be surprised if you do or do not have to pay.

• timephone
  • Adventurer

• Busan
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »
Update: my co-teacher contacted the admin office and they said they'd see what might be in the budget for the repair. I guess my apartment complex isn't responsible for these types of repairs and the school gets some small amount of money from the MOE to pay for these things. Thanks for your advice!

• newb
  • Newgookin

• South Korea
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 02:33:27 pm »
Update: my co-teacher contacted the admin office and they said they'd see what might be in the budget for the repair. I guess my apartment complex isn't responsible for these types of repairs and the school gets some small amount of money from the MOE to pay for these things. Thanks for your advice!

As I said earlier, this is correct.