Read 3686 times

A strange encounter with a kind of creepy lady
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »
Just thought I'd share this story.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?

I was at Home Plus a few weeks ago looking at tea and this ajumma walked up to me and said "It's expensive, isn't it?"  I responded, "Yes, it's very expensive."  I've gotta give her this; she was quite fluent in English.

She then proceeded to tell me her woes about how a gang is poisoning her food and water and raising the rent every day.  She told me how she wrote to the Korean government and they wrote back to her.  She couldn't remember the English translation for the word they called her when they responded, so she pulled out her phone and looked it up in the dictionary: Senile.   :shocked:  Lovely.  She told me that she had written a letter to the Obama Administration because she "believes in America" and asked if I could meet her for an hour to correct the letter on a later day.

After hearing her woes, the first thing in my mind was, "I don't want to get involved in anything like this... I've gotta get away."

When I told her I had plans to meet some others soon (lie), she grabbed my arm and said, "Ifa you don'ta help me, I'ma gonna die."

Great.  Glad to have that on my conscience.  I'm one of those people who tries to help others as much as I can, but with less than a month from my return to the States, I'd rather not get involved with gang problems, whether they're imaginary or not.

I was finally able to shake her by telling her to go to a different area that was populated with other foreign visitors and she could see if they could help her there.  She finally let me go and I made sure to check for my wallet and valuables on my way out.  If you're the foreigner she ended up finding in the area that I sent her, I apologize.

It was such a freaky experience.  If she was really in trouble, I wish I could have helped her, but so many alarm bells were going off in my head that my own safety was more important to me in that moment.

Has anything like this happaned to anyone else?  How did you handle it?

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
Re: A strange encounter with a kind of creepy lady
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:14:33 pm »
I've had several run-ins like this.  My wife says there a lot of religious people who'll pretend they need help finding a place then get right into their whole belief system.

Just be firm with them.  When I first arrived I was more polite.  Now I just tell them "No." (I'm an atheist who believes in science, I don't want to, I don't care, I think the person should seek help, etc.) 

Sounds cold but it's the only way to get them to think twice before targeting another foreigner.  Thanks for the apology though! :wink:

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 03:18:05 pm »
I don't suppose this is in the Handaep area in Ansan is it?

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 03:29:56 pm »

No, I'm in Bucheon.  It sucked when I saw her again yesterday.  Luckily I was trying to rush for the train, so I could get away quickly.  I hope that's my last encounter.  She just kind of creeps me out.

But she was really religious.  When I suggested she go to a foreign bar to find someone to correct her work, she said that God would send her to Hell for it.  Okaaaaaay...

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• Sanbon
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 03:35:12 pm »

No, I'm in Bucheon.  It sucked when I saw her again yesterday.  Luckily I was trying to rush for the train, so I could get away quickly.  I hope that's my last encounter.  She just kind of creeps me out.

But she was really religious.  When I suggested she go to a foreign bar to find someone to correct her work, she said that God would send her to Hell for it.  Okaaaaaay...

Bucheon isn't far, maybe she travels about.

I had a similar encounter with a right nut job at my mates restaurant in Handaep. She had lived in Australia. She had been in his restaurant for 5 hrs and had not ordered anything, just pestering the staff. She even trotted off to get ramyeon to cook for him. It's a Nepalese restaurant. He called the police in the end.

I had since heard that my mate who lives in that area also had a run in with her and she was really rude and racist towards her.

The loonies speak perfect English I find. Gutted!

Hope you manage to avoid her again!

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 08:52:06 pm »
OP, I feel the same way a lot, but then I just remind myself than I'm a stranger in a strange land and I would probably make matters worse. Even with little stuff like helping move tables or boxes at school, I still can't understand where I'm told to put something. I want to help, but it's easier for them if I don't.

I hate to have this attitude, but sometimes it's just better to not get involved.

The loonies speak perfect English I find. Gutted!

One of the advantages of encountering them alone is that I can look confused and start quoting Chaucer or speaking Khmer and they leave me alone. When they catch me with friends, it's pretty obvious I'm an English speaker.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• Sanbon
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:02:10 pm »
[/quote]

One of the advantages of encountering them alone is that I can look confused and start quoting Chaucer or speaking Khmer and they leave me alone. When they catch me with friends, it's pretty obvious I'm an English speaker.
[/quote]

I tend to play the Russian card and pretend I don't speak English or Korean. It's easier in the Ansan area.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 03:20:30 pm »
Some of them are trickier/more prepared than others. I once managed to convince one of the fearmongers that I was from Nepal. She whipped out an iPad and started playing a video that had Sanskrit subtitles.  :shocked:

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 03:25:19 pm »
I feel like this is a Smaug-worthy. If only you wrote it using poor grammar and spelling and titled it something like "scrub crazi ladi at homepluz tryn to start revoltion"

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 12:02:34 pm »
Some of them are trickier/more prepared than others. I once managed to convince one of the fearmongers that I was from Nepal. She whipped out an iPad and started playing a video that had Sanskrit subtitles.  :shocked:

That's insane that she was THAT prepared!

I feel like this is a Smaug-worthy. If only you wrote it using poor grammar and spelling and titled it something like "scrub crazi ladi at homepluz tryn to start revoltion"

Ha ha, I'm not always the best at spelling and grammar, but I have made it a point of pride to at least know the English language better than the average thirteen-year-old girl.  :P