Read 2910 times

Old apostilled diploma
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:09:30 pm »
Question for you.  I know your FBI background check expires after 6 months, but what about an apostilled diploma?

I had a notarized copy of my diploma apostilled about a year and a half ago (I always get two of everything when I'm getting documents together just in case).  Will they still accept it?  I mean, my diploma won't have changed at all whereas a CBC might have (although I'm not in the habit of committing crimes). 

I might be switching jobs and I'd love to save the pain of getting another apostilled diploma.

• heatvn
  • Newgookin

• February 05, 2013, 08:49:21 am
    • Asia
Re: Old apostilled diploma
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 02:03:13 pm »
I think there is a six months rule.

http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,49168.0.html

Question for you.  I know your FBI background check expires after 6 months, but what about an apostilled diploma?

I had a notarized copy of my diploma apostilled about a year and a half ago (I always get two of everything when I'm getting documents together just in case).  Will they still accept it?  I mean, my diploma won't have changed at all whereas a CBC might have (although I'm not in the habit of committing crimes). 

I might be switching jobs and I'd love to save the pain of getting another apostilled diploma.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 02:13:57 pm »
ARGGGGH.  Thanks for the link, I searched but it didn't come up.

I understand on the CBC, I could have gone to the U.S. and robbed a bank during summer break.  But the diploma?  That's just silly.

Just white out the date and write in a new date. :P
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 10:56:17 pm »
First off stop expecting logic when dealing with government and bureaucracy.  Korean immigration has its own quirks.  Yea I understand the degree is static and does not change.

Plus you would think immigration would keep it on record.  I have been surprised have an immi official say "yep" we have it on the computer and then a few months later not able to find it.  Lucky for me I had an extra.

If you are changing jobs why not try for a visa/sponsor transfer or a D-10.  Doing so allows you to avoid some of the paperwork hassles.

If you do decide to start from scratch.  Which means leaving and coming back and submitting new paperwork.  Recommend getting a new verified degree.   But, why not take it slow on getting it verifiedand not rush it.  Regular mail rather then express.  Try submitting your old verified version first and see if immigration will accept it.  If they complain then inform them that a new one is coming.  If immigration accepts, the you have an extra for Emergency or MOE.

Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 09:36:03 pm »
I didn't know there were so many types of visas.

First off stop expecting logic when dealing with government and bureaucracy.  Korean immigration has its own quirks.  Yea I understand the degree is static and does not change.

Plus you would think immigration would keep it on record.  I have been surprised have an immi official say "yep" we have it on the computer and then a few months later not able to find it.  Lucky for me I had an extra.

If you are changing jobs why not try for a visa/sponsor transfer or a D-10.  Doing so allows you to avoid some of the paperwork hassles.

If you do decide to start from scratch.  Which means leaving and coming back and submitting new paperwork.  Recommend getting a new verified degree.   But, why not take it slow on getting it verifiedand not rush it.  Regular mail rather then express.  Try submitting your old verified version first and see if immigration will accept it.  If they complain then inform them that a new one is coming.  If immigration accepts, the you have an extra for Emergency or MOE.

Yeah, I've been in Korea a few years... I know there's no logic, but one can hope.

I can't do D-10 because I have family sponsored on my visa.  I'm probably just going to be transferring, but I wanted to have the bases covered in case.  I have 7 months so I'm sending it out now to avoid the freak out rush.  Thanks for the suggestions.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2013, 03:15:40 pm »
For a D-10 do you have to use same immi. office as your first ARC was issued? Different province ok??

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 05:08:28 pm »
When you go from E2 to D-10 for the first part of the visa, go with the same immigration office of where you are finishing off.  This I believe makes life simpler.  Later when you go from D-10 to E-2 then any immigration office should be fine.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 09:37:01 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 11:27:33 pm »
Question(s).  I originally came to Korea expecting to just teach for a year, so I didn't bring any extra copies of my diplomas.  Now I'm trying to find a new job that's not a public school and in one that is in Seoul rather than the rural countryside that I was in.  I'd also would like to not have to sign a contract so I can have the option to leave in less than a year if I wanted.  All the recruiters so far asked me to bring them a copy of an apostilled diploma.  Am I just out of luck?  I came in with an E-2 visa, worked for 2 years, and ended my contract.  Then I changed my visa to an F-4 to be able to stay in Korea longer.  If I want to work/teach in Korea, without heading back home first, is my only option tutoring jobs?  Or can I use my F-4 visa and work month to month, non-contract jobs?  Or is that illegal?  I'm all over the place.  Sorry and thanks in advance.