Read 1166 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Bread making machine
« on: February 05, 2013, 01:05:39 pm »
I am giving some thought to buying one. The only thing that is stopping me right now is the availability of things like wholewheat flower and generally the healthy things that one needs to put into a good healthy bread.

Does anyone have experience of this? Where to get the correct goodies etc.

I would also be keen to hear from anyone who has this machine here and if they think it is ok?

Perhaps someone has one for sale too? I have seen one in Emart and it looks good but knowing my luck when I get there to buy it then it will be gone.

I don't want to spend the money if I cannot get good ingredients easily.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Re: Bread making machine
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 01:17:52 pm »
I do have a bread machine. I imported one, nice quality.

You're right about the lack of good flour here. But, you can find high quality flour online. I always buy Bob's Red Mill products. You can order it from Gmarket, or other sellers. It'll come to your door in a couple days. Couldn't get much better quality than that, IMO.

I don't do anything too fancy, so I'm not sure what other healthy things you're wanting. Care to give me an example?

Many stores carry yeast, so that's pretty simple to get.

I like to use my machine to make pizza dough, then I portion it out and freeze it. I've also made interesting breads, such as bacon cheddar.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 01:24:13 pm »
Thanks for the reply.

I know where to get yeast and normal bread flour, but I haven't seen wholewheat on sale. I can probably get online as you said.

I don't have any specific things I want to buy yet for healthy bread but when I look around supermarkets they have limited commodities but I guess if I go to the Foreign Food Market in Itaewon I could get some things.

Are there some things to watch out for when purchasing a bread making machine?

• namerae
  • Featured Contributor

• September 26, 2011, 09:38:41 am
    • Anyang, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 01:31:59 pm »
I recommend iherb.com for flours, oats, and vital wheat gluten.

But I don't recommend a bread machine. I use a crockpot for breads I know will be eaten up with dinner and an oven for "special" breads. The crockpot and oven have more versatility for your money.  ;D

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 01:42:50 pm »
If you don't want to make the investment because the ingredients can be hard to come by you can just use a toaster oven or even your rice cooker. I made bread in my rice cooker before I got a toaster oven.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »
I'd recommend something like this for flour...

http://english.gmarket.co.kr/challenge/neo_goods/goods.asp?goodscode=200342769&pos_shop_cd=EN&pos_class_cd=90000001&pos_class_kind=T&keyword_order=%B9%E4%BD%BA%B7%B9%B5%E5%B9%D0

You can find Bob's Red Mill products by searching 밥스레드밀 (usually)

I have never been to Seoul or Itaewon. I make do with local ingredients and things purchased on the internet, so you might find that possible too. I guess I haven't branched out into certain realms of bread baking, but the beauty of bread is that it's usually simple ingredients!

There's iherb if you need some fancy flours, I've used that site to buy some bread supplies before.

As far as bread machines... were you looking for domestic or foreign? I am unfamiliar of machines offered in Korea. Many bread machines do a vertical loaf... I don't like that. I insisted on getting a horizontal loaf bread machine, (resulting in bread you might be used to seeing in a store).

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 01:47:56 pm »
Thanks for all the advice, the one I saw was imported. I have some things to think about.

;D ;D

I have a nice oven to bake in and a rice cooker but I am lazy to do the kneading etc.  ;D

Want something I can just throw in all the ingredients and push a button and get some nice bread some hours later.  I like cooking but kneading bread is not one of the things I can get excited about.   ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 01:54:54 pm by confusedsafferinkorea »

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 01:54:27 pm »
Of course, you don't need a bread machine for making bread. Everyone knows that!

But, a bread machine has significant advantages... it proofs, rests, kneads, bakes perfectly! And the cleanup is minimal.

I can get a loaf of bread going with in about 2 minutes of work. To save more time, I pre-measure some ingredients that I commonly use as a bread base and I put them in a ziplock bag.