Read 2389 times

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
GEPIK renewal flight reimbursement
« on: January 31, 2013, 10:59:00 am »
4. In the event a renewing Employee does not travel to his/her home country, the Employee shall be given the amount of money equivalent to the round-trip economy class rate of Korean Airline up to a maximum of 2.0 million KRW excluding taxes and fees within two (2) weeks from the first date of the renewal contract. Renewal leave is used in the manner pursuant to the forgoing 2.

When I searched for round trip economy class tickets with Korean Air on 5 different English websites, they all turned up costs of upwards of $2000, which would hit the max cap of 2.0 million won.
However, when my co-teacher searched for the exact same thing on her Korean website 인터파크 (Interpark), the cheapest one turned out to be 1,323,000.
My school and co-teacher have been very good to me this last year, but this is a matter of nearly 700,000 won. 700,000 won that GEPIK is footing the bill for, not the school.

My question is: In the contract, who is delegated to finding a qualifying ticket?

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: GEPIK renewal flight reimbursement
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:31:12 am »
My question is: In the contract, who is delegated to finding a qualifying ticket?

You really have to ask?

You will get the equivalent of the cheapest flight that can be found.  And you will like it.

• hodumaru
  • Veteran

• April 17, 2011, 07:31:10 pm
    • Gangseo-gu
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:58:15 am »
Definitely don't want them to find the Interpark flights. Those cheap ones are always full of crazy transfers (I have experience).

I printed off an itinerary from aircanada.com and gave it to them and got the full 2 million.

• Taniwha
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2011, 10:39:02 pm
    • Yongin
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 12:00:06 pm »
I had exactly the same issue last year,

Here is the explaination i got, i am city funded.

so the city gives the school X amount of money to fund me. the school overspent and were left with about 1.4 million won (honestly i have no idea how they managed to overspend) when the cheapest airfares i could find for the dates i could travel were about 2.1 million. i fought it tooth and nail to get the full amount but at the end of the day i had to find an airfare at some random date in the future that was as close to 1.4million and settle with that.

the differences in prices could be that interpark calculates tax sepeartly, then gives you a final amount, so your co-teacher may be excluding tax when they give that lower price.

or

your co-teacher is playing around with the dates on the ticket to get it cheaper.

• hodumaru
  • Veteran

• April 17, 2011, 07:31:10 pm
    • Gangseo-gu
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »
By the way, the new contracts specify that they reimburse you for the price before taxes.

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 02:02:23 pm »
I showed them a printout of the itinerary from Korean Air, which came out to: fare-$1997, tax-$84.55. They decided to just give me the maximum amount. All is well. Case closed.

• soyoungi
  • Waygookin

• May 01, 2012, 08:06:30 am
    • Namyangju
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 08:57:58 am »
So I have a round trip flight that I took to the States when I went for vacation.  I knew I was going back to the States again after my contract was over, but I didn't know when so I put my return date as August.  I'm going to change it make it to some time in March, but I want to stay in Korea for about 1-2 weeks after I finish my contract.  Do a bit of late minute traveling.  My contract says I will be reimbursed within 10 days of my completion date.  Does anyone know if it's possible to make the ticket as within 10 days...but change it later?  Thanks.

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 09:10:32 am »
On Interpark the fares are much cheaper because you don't get the seats right away. You get the seats later by a certain date. I don't know how it works exactly, but I experienced the same thing.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 09:46:01 am »
So I have a round trip flight that I took to the States when I went for vacation.  I knew I was going back to the States again after my contract was over, but I didn't know when so I put my return date as August.  I'm going to change it make it to some time in March, but I want to stay in Korea for about 1-2 weeks after I finish my contract.  Do a bit of late minute traveling.  My contract says I will be reimbursed within 10 days of my completion date.  Does anyone know if it's possible to make the ticket as within 10 days...but change it later?  Thanks.

GEPIK are really clamping down on this.  You may have to send your boarding card to show that you took the flight, which you can't if you didn't.  There are a few threads on here about it.

• JamesBondGibbon
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2012, 06:19:35 pm
    • O-dee-eh?
    more
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:59:55 am »

GEPIK are really clamping down on this.  You may have to send your boarding card to show that you took the flight, which you can't if you didn't.  There are a few threads on here about it.

It depends what they are looking for in the way of a "boarding card". A scanned copy of a piece of paper with the flight details and an airline logo..

• soyoungi
  • Waygookin

• May 01, 2012, 08:06:30 am
    • Namyangju
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:09:26 am »

It depends what they are looking for in the way of a "boarding card". A scanned copy of a piece of paper with the flight details and an airline logo..

I see... I hope they don't get too picky about it   :/