Read 53113 times

• elzoog
  • Expert Waygook

• July 15, 2009, 08:22:23 am
    • South Korea
Re: Music Genres Lesson Plan
« Reply #60 on: May 09, 2012, 12:45:22 am »
All of this is great. I put together the attached powerpoint and worksheet using the same format. I just downloaded the music files off of youtube using this website: http://www.video2mp3.net/ and attached them to the ppt.

Interesting PPT.  Except I would recommend a few changes.

1)  The "Straight Out of Compton" has too many cuss words in it (and although students won't know exactly what m**therf**ker means, they will definitely hear the F word there).   Instead, I recommend "Roxanne Roxanne" by UTFO, which has the possible disadvantage that it's "old", but at least it has no cuss words.   Also, it's a bit famous for starting the infamous Roxanne Wars.  Besides, the fact that you include "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash indicates that you aren't exactly opposed to "old" music anyway (especially since there are recent examples of Country, i.e. Taylor Swift).

2)  There are probably some Heavy Metal songs the students might enjoy more than Converge, “Jane Doe” which seems to kind of border on Death Metal.   I would probably choose "More Than a Feeling" by Boston (which is again "old").  Or perhaps "Sweet Child of Mine"  or  "Back in Black"?   At least those choices have the advantage that they are famous and easily recognizable.

Re: ~ Music Genres ~
« Reply #61 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:18 am »
Wow,

Great lesson plan and power point. Just a quick question though - does anyone know how to turn off the automatic slide show for the PP?
I'd like to work the PP through at my own speed instead of it changing from slide to slide automatically - but I can't figure out how to do it.
Probably doesn't help that my version of PP (2010) is in Korean, but even when I take off all the animated effects for all the text it still runs through automatically....

Thanks! :D

Re: Music Genres Lesson Plan
« Reply #62 on: June 19, 2012, 09:04:33 am »
http://prezi.com/ik-p_yi9lf-_/music/

I used this prezi (thanks to whoever created it), made some amendments and added some short video clips to help explain the genres.

http://prezi.com/gmlfntnrleqf/music-lesson/

Bear in mind I work at a Technical High School with low level students so I kept things pretty simple. I also tried to explain that music is subjective, that genres are not set in stone and things can fit different descriptions depending on viewpoint.

I then made a video (prezi would not allow me to embed it as the file size was too big so I had to play it in a media player) that i used for a game (which would also work for higher level students): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaubnNcSY-4&feature=youtu.be

Again, due to the subjective nature of the topic, there could be some argument about the genres in the video but I classed them as being 2 examples from each of the genres that were covered in the presentation.

I split the class into 6 groups and played the video. They had to raise their hands as soon as they could tell me the genre. I would pause the video when the first person raised their hand and if correct they got 1 point (if no one raises their hand you need to be ready to pause when the 'describing music' divider image appears to stop the video from rolling into the next track). If they told me the artist name they also got 1 point. I would then open it out and any student who could make a sentence would get their group 2 points. As this was my 3rd lesson in a series of describing things I allowed them to get points for a description of any kind ('the singer has blond hair', 'the video is in a club', 'the singer is performing a dance' etc.). The students generally really enjoyed it.

I then had an extension activity of a crossword (attached) but didn't always have time to get to it.

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2012, 03:40:13 pm »
what a nice job! I am jealous of your ability to make this kinds of great work!

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 08:02:55 am »
just curious as to whether your students/coteachers cared about any profanity that was played in the music? were they able to catch on?

like dr.dre's lightspeed off the bat says 'shit' and 'asshole'
i just wanted to see if there were any comments about this so i can save the trouble of being told something by my coteachers later~ and just as a caution maybe to some!

• trendgame
  • Veteran

• August 24, 2011, 04:46:05 pm
    • Gyeongsang-buk do, Yecheon
« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2012, 11:07:44 am »
I adapted and used stuff from this thread and it just went down really well with my class.

@ samplerplatter - I showed the Dre song from the OPs PPT but nobody noticed/commented on the bad language (it goes by so quickly and by that point the students arn't listening to the English and were instead trying to pick out instruments and features of the music they could comment on).

I wouldn't worry about showing the Dre song at all.

I did a presentation about genres, reviewed some instruments, talked about different feelings and covered some basic vocab that can be used to talk about music. Then gave out a worksheet which covered all the things just mentioned. I then gave out a second worksheet to be completed while listening to the music (i used the ten songs from OPs PPT). The students had to associate a feeling with the music, name any instruments they could, and then choose a word or two to describe the music (all vocab covered earlier in the lesson).

I have also attached charades to use with lower level classes to solidify their understanding of feelings/instruments. The way I use it is to get a group or row up to the front. Give the students a charade. If the class guess it then one student can sit down. Keep going until every student has been up to the front and sat back down. This seemed to be the best way to get as many kids shouting out the target language.

In the PPT there are a few slides at the end with links to Beardyman and Madeon (if you don't know these guys then do a quick youtube search - they're awesome) just to show non-traditional music made without using traditional instruments.

The kids enjoyed listening and commenting on the music. This class easily filled an hour and could definitely be spread over 2 lessons.

Hope it comes in handy for somebody!

and of course thanks to Vitamin-D for posting such an inspired and awesome piece of work in the first place.

NOTE: The pic of the one-man band links to a youtube vid of him. I will also attach an extra bit I had already made which just introduces a few examples of British music (led zep, boy george (culture club) and spice girls). The pics of the musicians all link to youtube videos when you're viewing the PPT. My students had fun guessing the gender of Boy George, and they also liked hearing about the different names of the Spice Girls (baby, scary, sporty, posh and ginger) and talking about the fashion of all the bands. There is also a couple of picture of the Beatles and a link to a Karaoke video of Hey Jude which I used for a singing competition in class. They did a gapfill and then each group sand the first verse with the loudest group getting a prize.
In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun

• Dorozco
  • Adventurer

• September 10, 2011, 12:51:11 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2012, 01:58:25 pm »
This is an awesome idea! Here's what I have in mind for my own version:

Rap: Lonely Island - Jack Sparrow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY
Punk: Sex Pistols - Anarchy in the UK - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q31WY0Aobro
R&B: Tyrese - Sweet Lady - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSlLFx2U4qo
Trance: DJ Micro - Inside of Me - www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRbIUG7Bqo
Reggae: Bob Marley - Bad Boys - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=on9TXY8kYyk
Heavy Metal: Hammerfall - Natural High - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDTmKNl3e6Q
Ballad: Cinderella - Nobody's Fool - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCOrtJMQmVs
Ambient: Burzum - Han Som Reiste - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH4GwxePsIw
Jazz: The Seatbelts - See You Space Cowboy - www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MMdT35MaNE
Blues: Gary Moore - Crying in the Shadows - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7duAoNQrCc
Neoclassical: - Dargaard - Arcanum Mortis - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T181kAj2lkM

I decided on Lonely Island's clean versions of the songs as I feel that they won't have anything explicitly inappropriate plus the songs themselves may be funny if the students could understand. As for metal, I decided on Power metal, so Hammerfall were my guys, although I was about to go with Death metal (I actually have introduced some of my classes to Deicide as they asked me to play it for them, and it is a god-given right to know who these guys are).

I have a worksheet where they would write the genre of the music and their opinion of it. I would teach them how to express their opinions of the music genres like this:

I like ________ music because _________.
I don't like __________ music because ___________.

I might have to teach them some adjectives that would be used to describe music, such as fast, loud, boring, happy, sad, etc. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

• trendgame
  • Veteran

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2012, 03:13:34 pm »
@ Dorozco - I love your song choices! I might even come back to this thread to take the list in the future. I stuck with Vitamin-Ds choices because I love some of that music and it's a great range.

As for pre-teaching some adjectives I'd highly recommend it. There are even slides on my PPT you could copy and paste that go over basic emotions, instruments and then adjectives - fast, slow, old, new, loud, quiet relaxing, etc.

In teaching you cannot see the fruit of a day's work. It is invisible and remains so, maybe for twenty years.
-- Jacques Barzun

« Reply #68 on: June 27, 2012, 09:38:20 am »
i did a similar lesson of my own, but with videos so the students got a better idea of the genre (especially with punk etc). i found it really tricky to narrow down my genre and song choices. if it wasn't for my co-teacher, i would have been happy to play music all lesson. i linked this to a 'make your own band' lesson. after we had gone through the genres (i left out the obvious ones they know well so i could broaden their minds some), they got into groups and had to come up with a genre, a band name, stage names, positions and instruments, what kinds of things they sing about, album name, 3 popular song names, and why there band is special or interesting (got the idea from a 'make your own k-pop group' lesson on this site). a lot of them chose k-pop which was fine, but they had a blast! planning on having them present their bands next time i see them.

• trendgame
  • Veteran

« Reply #69 on: June 27, 2012, 10:25:47 am »
@ nikkiskye - this sounds like a great idea. Do you have any resources to go with the lesson such as powerpoints or worksheets? I'd be interested in seeing/using them for a similar activity in my classes!
-- Jacques Barzun

• trendgame
  • Veteran

« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:07 am »
I did a follow up lesson which includes a running dictation where students fill in a worksheet about the genres covered in the OPs original post. There is also a small section on opinions so at the end the students can listen again to the music and give their opinions ranging from 'it's better than fried chicking/I love it' to 'I hate it? ARAHRGH TURN IT OFF!'

Opinions PPT has an introductory video listening to a Beardyman 'Monkey Jazz' video. It's a good example of the mixing of genres and using only the voice to make music.  This is followed by the running dictation activity (stick the completed table up on the wall and have teams of students. 1 runner, 1 writer. Tell the students to change the runner/writer every minute (use a stopwatch on the screen to signify the change). The PPT then covers some basic opinion phrases and the question 'what do you think?'.

Opinions worksheet - To be done last. Students use their table of genres (completed in the running dictation) to write the genre of each song. Students can also give each song a mark out of ten - this mark then equates to one of the opinion phases on the PPT.

Genre worksheet - contains the completed table. Tables A and B which each have different missing information another copy of the opinions worksheet

We had fun doing it!

hope it comes in useful for somebody. :)
-- Jacques Barzun

• shkim85
  • Waygookin

• March 08, 2011, 08:31:44 am
    • south korea
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:47 am »
Great material,

thanks so much!

« Reply #72 on: September 09, 2013, 08:24:54 am »
Congratulations on a job well-done.

• joanns
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 01:21:46 pm
    more
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2014, 11:39:36 am »
This is something I put together by modifying azureskye's "8 music genres" ppt--and making it a little my own. Just did it today and my high schoolers liked it more than the Countries, FIFA edition (I'm in a *mostly* soccer high school). Go figure.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:37:26 pm by joanns »

« Reply #74 on: August 18, 2015, 02:39:23 pm »
Thank you for sharing such great lesson materials! My students have really enjoyed this class  :smiley:

I made a worksheet for a follow-up lesson. I will recap the phrases and genres from the lesson posted at the start of this thread, then students get into groups, write about a song they like, then present their information and opinions to the class. There might not be time for every group to play their chosen song, so the teacher should rate how good each group's presentation is. After the presentations,  the best group can play their song first, the second best group plays their song second, etc.

If there is time over at the end, play hangman using music genre words :-) 

Hope this helps someone

« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2016, 09:57:00 pm »
I would like to use your ppt files because it is great.
But the problem is that I couldn't figure the anwers out.
I mean the answers of the last page, "the genres of 11 movies."
Could you give me the answers?