Read 4883 times

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
Are your beliefs logically consistent?
« on: January 28, 2013, 01:10:06 pm »
http://www.philosophyexperiments.com/health/

30 question test, no e-mail required, takes about 5-10 minutes depending on your reading speed. Great for a desk-warming activity!

I only had one area of tension between the rationality of faith and because I agreed that atheism is (well, I believe it can be) a faith like any other, since many people rationally justify their own theist conclusions. /shrug.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Hongsam
  • Super Waygook

• August 17, 2011, 12:24:57 pm
    • Ansan
Re: Are your beliefs logically consistent?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 01:35:55 pm »
I also got a tension quotient of 7%.

There's a tension between my belief that the government should not permit the sale of treatments which have not been tested for efficacy and safety while also believing that alternative and complementary medicine is as valuable as mainstream medicine.

• mrjinglescf
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 07:31:28 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 02:10:37 pm »
So we are using dichotomous thinking in our philosophy now?

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 02:27:22 pm »
These questions seems to beg the idea that our beliefs should never have tension with one another, allowing only either/or situations to sum up how we think as a human being. I feel that we should always have tension in our beliefs because life can be one big flippin' paradox; it's never a fixed, black and white reality. This does not allow for our long standing beliefs to hold fast through the tests of time. Nor does this survey allow you to elaborate on your beliefs, just yes or no. Bah humbug

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 05:17:22 pm »
These questions seems to beg the idea that our beliefs should never have tension with one another, allowing only either/or situations to sum up how we think as a human being. I feel that we should always have tension in our beliefs because life can be one big flippin' paradox; it's never a fixed, black and white reality. This does not allow for our long standing beliefs to hold fast through the tests of time. Nor does this survey allow you to elaborate on your beliefs, just yes or no. Bah humbug

The intro to the quiz suggests that there's a possibility that you have critically thought of both positions in a way that there is an inconsistency but no real tension.

It's black/white because it's a fun time killer, in my opinion.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 06:32:09 pm »
I did it. But it seems like it's for ppl who can't think through these things on their own.

Got 7%. I said that genocide was evil. Was answering from a subjective perspective so if I were to answer from an objective perspective it wouldn't be.

I mean, it would be objectively bad for a group of people. But then you could also say that there's objective morality within the context of arbitrarily defining morality as "prevention of suffering".
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2013, 09:15:49 pm »
I got 20%-- I think it should have been higher, though, because for a lot of those questions my answer would have been 'it depends' or 'I don't know'.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »
I got 40%

I don't mind that my score is high. I answered the questions honestly. Cognitive dissonance is a sign of a healthy mind, while yielding to dichotomies is probably not.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:52 am »
Not applied correctly, not wholly, but I'm invoking Godel's first theorem- no system can be complete and consistent. Yes, this has to do with systems "refined" or complex enough to incorporate math, but the point still stands. Since man in more than the sum of his intellect and ration, since man is an emotional and irrational being, man cannot be wholly consistent (even if said consistencies emerge) w/r/t philosophical outlook or, as I take it to mean here, the way one regards life.

On the quiz, it was fun, I had 2 inconsistencies, but I thought they were because language was loose.

SPOILER!!!!!!!@!!!LOL

Eg.
You agreed that:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures
And also that:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

Except "evil" w/r/t genocide in the second statement bases its use on the general definition of "evil" as an agreed upon common-sensical idea- namely, that is very, very bad to try to kill off populations for no other reasons than their place of birth. But since this is an extension of an agreed-upon morality that has been beneficial to societies (eg born in the wrong side of the village in *that* hut), its still subjective and has more to do with the language of the statement than actually referring to something objective. On top of that- using fuzzy language- the question itself asks about "great evil" as opposed to plain old vanilla "evil," implying degrees, implying subjectivity. If it were objective, it would be, as another poster said, black and white. Objectively, things are wrong or right. But because situations exist, can exist for morally-grey situations where two conflicting dictums clash, people's subjective assessments and prioritizations of value, which moral is greater, come into play, implicating subjectivity. I mean, it can be argued that all knowledge and judgments are subjective, or rather that objectivity is unknowable, but that still doesn't preclude objectives from existing. And while objectivity probably exists (and that goes into another argument), saying that something like morality exists, IMHO, is because morality is a human thing. To have this belief justified, that morality is objective, you really need to believe anthropomorphic God-figure since He (...or She!) would be the foundation of objective moral judgment.

But that's besides the point- point is that I thought that the questions could be better phrased.

Yay for insomnia.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 07:55:44 am »
Zero tensions. It helps that I'd majored in Philosophy.  :undecided:

Philosophical Health Check - Analysis 1
The PHC has identified 0 tensions in your beliefs.

The Philosophical Health Check is designed to identify tensions or contradictions (a Tension Quotient) between various beliefs that you hold. The PHC does not aim to identify which of your beliefs are true or false, but where the beliefs you hold might not be compatible with each other.

The test identifies a pair of beliefs as being in tension, where (a) there is a direct contradiction between them, or (b) some sophisticated reasoning is required to allow both beliefs to be held consistently. If two of your beliefs are in tension, we advise that either giving one of them up, or developing some rationally coherent way of reconciling them (assuming you have not already done so).

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 09:22:40 am »
  5 tensions and I am sure there should have been more:) I think of it as looking at things differently.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 09:24:44 am »
You don't have to be that sophisticated to see the there is a logical link between some  of these "tensions". I didn't find the entire test to be that sophisticated.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 11:55:19 am »

This. Thanks for the thought, anyhow, OP.

But, honestly, this test is extremely lacking. Most of the questions are extremely lacking or are decided on how we define a certain word.

Just one example-

You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God

In disagreeing with the first statement, you are acting consistently with the general principle which states that in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it.

But, one can easily argue that it's irrational to believe that it's not a possibility.

Other examples are abound.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 12:00:33 pm »

This. Thanks for the thought, anyhow, OP.

But, honestly, this test is extremely lacking. Most of the questions are extremely lacking or are decided on how we define a certain word.

Just one example-

You disagreed that:
It is quite reasonable to believe in the existence of a thing without even the possibility of evidence for its existence
But agreed that:
Atheism is a faith just like any other, because it is not possible to prove the non-existence of God

In disagreeing with the first statement, you are acting consistently with the general principle which states that in the absence of good grounds for believing something, it is not rational to believe it.

But, one can easily argue that it's irrational to believe that it's not a possibility.

Other examples are abound.

logic test innit.

• wrinklebump
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 01:31:12 pm
    • Ulsan, Korea via Detroit, Michigan
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:33 pm »
'We advise giving them up'

hah
Livin in a pathetic epidemic with schizophrenics buyin synthetic bodies on credit

• septeacher
  • Veteran

• September 11, 2012, 08:17:52 am
    • Incheon, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2013, 08:15:07 am »
This test is nothing but ridiculous. It uses a bunch of poorly phrased questions to "trap" you into having logical inconsistencies.

Spoilers:

Agree:
So long as they do not harm others, individuals should be free to pursue their own ends.

Disagree:
The possession of drugs for personal use should be decriminalised.

Depending on the drug, it can have an adverse affect on the community. Drugs don't just affect the ones taking them. Having grown up in a town known for its drug-addicts I can attest to it. Inaccurate "inconsistency".

Disagree:

Agree:

These aren't related at all. I didn't say Atheism was reasonable. In fact, I think people who preach Atheism or try to convert religious people are retarded. I simply said it was similar to other religions as it is a faith. Just live in the world and do your own thing. People who put emphasis on their Atheism instead of living their life are just as wacky as the Christians / Other Religions. No offense to Religious folk, but I personally feel you're in the same boat as Atheist. Question was poorly worded.

Agree:
The environment should not be damaged unnecessarily in the pursuit of human ends

Disagree:
People should not journey by car if they can walk, cycle or take a train instead

I can agree that there is some inconsistency on this one. I was thinking more large scale though... (Factories or Forest chopping).

Agree:
There are no objective truths about matters of fact; 'truth' is always relative to particular cultures and individuals

Disagree:
The holocaust is an historical reality, taking place more or less as the history books report

I don't even understand this. The phrase says "more or less" not absolute. Books give us a good idea of what happened in the past. It is in fact a historical reality, it did happen. What does this have to do with truth being relative to someone's cultural filter? Everyone would view the Holocaust in a different light, but the history books give us a good idea of what actually took place "MORE OR LESS" in that time. No one can ever be 100% certain.

Agree:
There are no objective moral standards; moral judgements are merely an expression of the values of particular cultures

Agree:
Acts of genocide stand as a testament to man's ability to do great evil

I can see the inconsistency here if I agreed it was "evil" in everyone's point of view. I could have sworn that this test was asking for my point of view on things (meaning I see it evil), not that everyone in the culture sees it as evil. Of course it is a fact not everyone sees it as something evil otherwise I'm sure some of them wouldn't be doing it. Another poorly worded question.

The test irritates me more than anything just because it is being so nitpicky with answers trying to catch people by over generalizing questions and then using specific examples to make them inconsistent. The only answer I really agree with is the car vs nature one. The problem was I was thinking large scale factory and industry, but I suppose if every person used a car instead of walking it'd become a large scale issue. So +1 to them on that one, that is about it.

I highly don't recommend the test.

• DejaVu
  • Super Waygook

• April 17, 2011, 11:31:29 am
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 11:51:52 am »
Bad philosophical test.  Worse logic test.

• apuffer
  • Veteran

• October 18, 2012, 11:38:59 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:15 pm »
Stupid test, but amusing for a few minutes :)

I answered honestly and my 2 'tensions' came from semantics in the question, not a contradiction of my beliefs.  I completely disagreed with their 'analysis' of my tensions.

It is pretty transparent which questions contradict each other once you understand what they are trying to ask with their vague wording.  I bet I could take the test twice now, and score 0, and 100% respectively if I wanted to.  Hope no one takes this too seriously...
Well, I stand up next to a mountain and I chop it down with the edge of my hand...

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 01:09:26 pm »
Stupid test, but amusing for a few minutes :)

It is pretty transparent which questions contradict each other once you understand what they are trying to ask with their vague wording.  I bet I could take the test twice now, and score 0, and 100% respectively if I wanted to.  Hope no one takes this too seriously...

I sincerely hope not.

I think a lot of the statements reflect directly on personal philosophy but, as was stated, that the inconsistencies are more with the semantics involved.

I would also not advise revising your personal beliefs, even if the test suggests doing so.

It's just a fun thing to think about during desk-warming. Even better, it can let you start a discussion with someone you know about such things in a non-aggressive manner.

• apuffer
  • Veteran

• October 18, 2012, 11:38:59 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2013, 02:10:23 pm »
A conversation started in a non-aggressive manner doesn't seem like one worth having...  ;D
Well, I stand up next to a mountain and I chop it down with the edge of my hand...