Read 5649 times

Domino's Pizza removing 30 minute delivery promise.
« on: February 22, 2011, 08:43:43 am »
Domino's Pizza removes 30-minute delivery promise
By Cho Jae-hyon

Domino’s Pizza Korea said it will scrap the 30-minute delivery promise amid growing public criticism that the policy has put delivery drivers’ lives at risks.

“We’ve done our best to prioritize safety while carrying out the 30-minute delivery rule. But we’ve decided to end it amid growing concerns,” it said in a statement.

It is the first time in two decades that the pizza chain in Korea has decided to revoke its promise to customers that all pizzas will be delivered in less than 30 minutes after ordering.

Under the 30-minute rule, delivery men have had to drive their motorbikes fast and recklessly to avoid facing disadvantages in wages, risking their lives.

A group of civic groups have demanded that the company must put an end to the rule, threatening to launch a campaign to boycott Domino’s pizza if it would not listen to them.

The system caught the public’s attention after a 24-year-old Pizza Hut employee was in a head-on collision with a taxi in Doksan-dong, southwestern Seoul on Dec. 12.

On Feb. 13, a 19-year-old delivery man was also killed after being hit by a bus that ran the lights in Yeoungdeungpo-gu, Seoul. The rider took off in such a hurry, he didn’t check oncoming traffic.
chojh@koreatimes.co.kr

it's dangerous the way transportation is held in Korea.

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
Re: Domino's Pizza removing 30 minute delivery promise.
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 09:03:13 am »
Actually Domino's in the US quit doing this years ago because of safety concerns. I do agree, though, that the style of driving here is terrifying!

• joseph921
  • Super Waygook

• September 15, 2010, 09:00:43 am
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:26:36 am »
now if only they could allow us to drive in to work late for these same reasons.
Imagine how many ppl have died or caused deaths due to driving so fast early in the morning
when it's still dark outside just to get to work on time.

(i dont mean us teachers here, i mean our lives back home wherever it is).

• js
  • Newgookin

• March 24, 2010, 01:44:15 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 08:55:54 am »
I have never had Domino's in Korea. Do you know if they use the re-formulated recipe they introduced about a year ago in the US?

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 08:58:09 am »
I don't mind waiting an extra 10 mins for my pizza if it means that people arent killed in the process

• iamtheepic
  • Explorer

• September 13, 2010, 08:01:51 am
    • seoul, korea
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 09:49:13 am »
do they have little ceasers in korea too?

• gbelley87
  • Explorer

• March 02, 2011, 12:08:27 pm
    • Pusan, SK
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 09:59:46 am »
If only I could get them to deliver at all. I tried last weekend, the employee didn't speak English. I was told "call back" and I assumed they would call back. They did, after about half an hour. I gave them my address and order in a mixture of Korean and English, everything sounds good. They call back 10 mins to clarify my address - ok ok, everything is good. They call back again, asking me more questions. Finally they call back a third time and tell me they can't deliver! Doh!

So I walked for 5 minutes to my local korean pizza place and had a delicious pizza with god knows what on it.

Moral of the story: if you can get Domino's to deliver at all (even if it's over 30 mins), be happy.
Moral of the story (for me): don't be so lazy.

• jcscraps
  • Explorer

• February 21, 2011, 06:12:58 pm
    • Ansan and Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 10:46:19 am »
I was a delivery driver off and on for 10 years back in the states. We hustled to make tips, not to keep our wages from getting cut. I enjoy the speed of the delivery service in Korea, but not at the risk of people's lives. Good move, Domino's.

• Yu_Bumsuk
  • The Legend

• March 03, 2011, 02:10:36 pm
    • Hicksville, ROK
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 10:52:33 am »
I would never, ever let my kid work as a motorbike delivery driver. A couple years ago a HS kid got killed that way, not wearing a helmet. Yet, almost every day I see HS boys racing around on motorbikes without helmets. This is one issue that really, really needs a public safety drive. 

• frappps
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2010, 11:10:07 am
    • Ethiopia
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 10:55:28 am »
You can order online:
http://www.dominos.co.kr/
It even tells you the status of your order.

If only I could get them to deliver at all. I tried last weekend, the employee didn't speak English. I was told "call back" and I assumed they would call back. They did, after about half an hour. I gave them my address and order in a mixture of Korean and English, everything sounds good. They call back 10 mins to clarify my address - ok ok, everything is good. They call back again, asking me more questions. Finally they call back a third time and tell me they can't deliver! Doh!

So I walked for 5 minutes to my local korean pizza place and had a delicious pizza with god knows what on it.

Moral of the story: if you can get Domino's to deliver at all (even if it's over 30 mins), be happy.

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 11:27:25 am »

christ, if you live 5 mins away from a place that has delicious pizza , just walk! moral of the story? Stop being lazy? ;)

• Wigfield
  • Adventurer

• September 26, 2010, 03:23:00 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:23 pm »

Don't wait for them to call back, you call again and try to get someone who does speak English. That's what I do, it's worth it for the time and hassle you will save.

Also, try ordering the pizza in Korean. Even a basic bit of pronounciation will help. Usually they'll ask for your address first but after a successful initial order they should have it saved in their system with your number and will read your address to you at the start of the call for confirmation. After that they tend to ask (in order) what pizza you want, what crust, any side menu stuff or soda, if you have discount coupons, whether you're going to pay with cash or card, and then they finish off by quoting you the price.