Read 7379 times

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• November 24, 2010, 07:56:37 pm
    • Busan
Almost Paintful Bathroom Stink
« on: February 21, 2011, 09:23:36 pm »
When I moved here last year in the fall my bathroom stank absolutely horrible. The smell was coming in from the shower drain and smelled like everything nasty imaginable. Then, winter came, the smell went away and I forgot about it. Now, that it's getting warmer, the smell has returned. I keep the bathroom door closed, and when I open it it's like a wall of stink hits me. I live in an old apartment building, and I know it's just years and years of accumulated body fluids, sweat, skin, etc.

Does anyone know how I can get rid of the smell or of any devices I can put on top of the drain to prohibit the smell from escaping? It's absolutely unbearable.
http://www.iherb.com Use coupon code fes089 to save $5-$10 on groceries/vitamins/beauty products.

http://earthclinic.com/  Natural Home Remedies

Re: Almost Paintful Bathroom Stink
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 09:32:58 pm »
I had the same problem my first year! I just bought one of those cheap metal bowls, turned it upside-down and would keep it covered at all times. It worked well. You could even try putting an open box of baking soda in there as well for double the combat. The bowl worked well enough for me but if yours is especially bad, it may help.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:35:23 pm by violettheasian »
Forget it, Donny, you're out of your element!

• ogle5431
  • Waygookin

• August 27, 2010, 01:59:45 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 09:35:31 pm »
Ahhhh, the old bathroom stink.  That seems to be pretty common in older apartments and I have lived in a couple with that problem.  When I complained to the apartment manager, he just told me to use incense or scented candles to cover the smell.  One of my coworkers who lived in the same building also complained and the manager just replaced the caulking around his toilet.  That seemed to do the trick for him.  Maybe you can try that?  Otherwise I'd recommend one of those deodorizers that spray every 15 minutes or so.

Good luck!

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:44:31 pm »
What about drain cleaner??  I know nothing about smelly drains, so it's a shot in the dark...  but they might kill some germs and gunk that cause the smells maybe??  Yuck,  I can't even imagine what you're going through - I'm super sensitive to stuff that smell bad  ::)

• andyfoggy
  • Super Waygook

• December 07, 2010, 12:11:55 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 09:47:35 pm »
it happens to us every spring in this old apartment
and on rainy windy days for some reason
we have tried everything, undiluted bleach poured down the drain from time to time helps mask it
also opening the windows in the apartment to ventilate helps
it started for us 2 days ago when the weather got warmer
we are used to it now, but sometimes it gets quite bad

Ahhhh, the old bathroom stink.  That seems to be pretty common in older apartments and I have lived in a couple with that problem.  When I complained to the apartment manager, he just told me to use incense or scented candles to cover the smell.  One of my coworkers who lived in the same building also complained and the manager just replaced the caulking around his toilet.  That seemed to do the trick for him.  Maybe you can try that?  Otherwise I'd recommend one of those deodorizers that spray every 15 minutes or so.

Good luck!

thats a good idea, homeplus tomorrow for me lol
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 09:49:09 pm by andyfoggy »

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• Busan
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:09:28 pm »
Thanks everyone!

I'll try covering it with a bowl. I was hoping there was an actual cover made specifically to cover those big drains. Maybe I'll invent it and get really rich  :P

I avoid chemicals in my home, so I won't be getting any of the air fresheners. They're much worse in terms of toxicity (even if the scent is much nicer). I have an all natural orange air freshener, but that lasts for maybe 20 minutes. Leaving the door open to the bathroom would cause the entire apartment to smell bad.

I hold my breath whenever I use the bathroom. Showering seems to wash the smell away, though. I swear, even when I hold my breath I can feel the stench on my skin.
http://www.iherb.com Use coupon code fes089 to save $5-$10 on groceries/vitamins/beauty products.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:12:55 pm »
Since you avoid chemicals you might want to try this... I know it works like a CHARM for getting rid of the smell of burnt food, so maybe it'll help for the bathroom smell too! :)  Take a small dish and pour some vanilla essence in!  See if that works for the drain too.  It really helps in my kitchen if I make a stuff-up!

• infogoddess
  • Featured Contributor

• March 03, 2010, 10:18:59 am
    • Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:28:06 pm »
Smelly Billa blog has lots of useful suggestions

http://smellybilla.blogspot.com/search/label/smelly%20drains
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• Busan
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 11:21:10 pm »
Smelly Billa blog has lots of useful suggestions

http://smellybilla.blogspot.com/search/label/smelly%20drains

Wow! Awesome! Am trying the ziploc bag with water now! Will update tomorrow  ;D

Thanks a lot!

• absurdjoy
  • Adventurer

• November 25, 2010, 12:00:14 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2011, 07:48:43 am »
This may come too late but whenever I had smelly issues with drains (garbage disposal etc) I would pour vinegar down the drain. Its non-toxic and is very effective at killing bacteria. If you think there is a lot of built up gunk in the drain you can pour one cup of baking soda, followed by one cup of vinegar and let it set for 30 minutes.

It may be too hard to get baking soda down a bathroom type drain but I would definitely give it a try.

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2011, 07:55:39 am »
Yes, you can put a filter on it (diagram below). Ask your landlady, else I'll take a crappy cameraphone shot of mine tonight (remind me via PM before I leave hey). My apartment was unbearably bad when I arrived. Even now with the main source of the shower drain contained I still have to cover the sink drains regularly and hell and high water ensure I do so before daring to leave town on a holiday.

Prior to the filter as an interim I kept the bathroom window always open, the door shut whenever possible and a brick atop the drain to minimise it. Plus the Indian shop in Itaewon sells cheap incense burners. Man, that thing was a sanity saver.

Take a small dish and pour some vanilla essence in!
Vanilla essence is amazing. Way back in uni I used to use that trick to make cheap punch smell drinkable.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:19:01 am by Paul »
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2011, 08:08:40 am »
Oh, why did I have to see the smelly billa link in the LAST week I'm here? Oh well, I'll share the link with my replacement, anyway! Thanks for the link!

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2011, 08:14:36 am »
thank god i've never had this issue

my friends have a drain like this. they use the large homeplus/emart plastic bags and fill them part of the way with water, leaving them floppy but with handles!  its more convenient than saran wrap, but its not going to be as good as the trap drain that billa calls a cup

• sheila
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• November 23, 2009, 08:32:58 am
    • Gangnamgu, Seoul
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2011, 08:21:56 am »
Just make sure if you get the cup for your drain (if you don't have one already), you need to pull it out regularly to clean it up as hair and gunk tends to clog it a bit. 

As far as the stinky drain, I've never had any serious issues but my friends did in their veranda, really bad.  It was the door to the laundry and window to the outside so they liked to keep that door open for fresh air.  The only thing they found to work was duct tape over the whole thing.  Worked great.... until the next girl came and her washing machine backed up all over the floor and flooded her apartment.  She did not even realize the tape was there.  So I'd suggest that anything that really covers your drain would definitely be a bad idea.

But the ziploc bag sounds like a great one. Just be sure to leave a little air in the bag so it will float. Cheers~!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:23:45 am by sheila »
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard!
www.freerice.com

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2011, 08:26:06 am »
Unfortunately the older apartments don't have u-bend pipes so the stench is coming straight up from the drainage pipes.  Keep your window open and I bought one of the big plastic wash basins and just flip it over the drain.

I feel your pain, my old apartment smelt absolutely horrendous after coming home from work.

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• Busan
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 08:31:23 am »
The ziploc bag worked!!! Absolutely no smell is noticeable! It's a miracle. I shower at the gym almost everyday, so it won't be inconvenient for me. Still, even if it was, nothing is worse than that stench.

Thanks for the link to the blog, infogoddess!

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:47 am »
i use a ziplock bag and a rubber rug to keep the sewer gas out of my place.  they dont believe in traps here. mosquitos will also come in thru these drains.

• infogoddess
  • Featured Contributor

• March 03, 2010, 10:18:59 am
    • Wuxi, Jiangsu, China
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:14 am »
Thanks for the link to the blog, infogoddess!

now problem -- that blog has tons of useful info for all sorts of problems around the apartment
"The Bhagavad Gita - that ancient Indian Yogic text - says that it is better to live your own destiny imperfectly than to live an imitation of somebody else's life with perfection. So now I have started living my own life." Elizabeth Gilbert