Read 2460 times

• s.j
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2011, 10:59:12 am
    • South Korea
Water damage to my apartment- what to do?
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:54:31 am »
Hi everyone

he damage costs. I live in a one room,  I estimate to be about 300 square feet.
Can anyone give me advice on this? Do landlords typically have insurance in Korea? Because I paid a security deposit when I first got here 2 years ago, I think of at least 300 000 won. I'm leaving Korea at the end of Feb when my contract ends and was planning on coming back around May. I'm going to contact my co-teacher today but he is on a school trip right now.

Any help or advice on what to do in this situation will be greatly appreciated, I am in major panic mode.  :cry:
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 09:08:04 pm by s.j »

• zmffhdl
  • Adventurer

• January 18, 2013, 09:13:21 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Water damage to my apartment- what to do?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:24 pm »
1. Crank up the heating, and use space heater to dry the place up.

2. Use a bit of cleaning agents on damp rag to clean mold on wallpaper -if they clean off that means the area of the wall has silk wallpaper. If you have to replace them it will be costly. If it creates a black smudge, stop. It's cheap wallpaper, mold is not going to come off that well but it will be a lot cheaper to replace.

3. Furniture, electronics, etc. - consider them dead. Pay a visit to the nearest second hand shop to find out how much it will set you back should you be pressed to replace them.

4. Contact the Global Help Center and ask for legal advise for your liability as a tenant in covering damages. Whether your LL has insurance or not is not your responsibility. You may also not be covering 100% of the cost.

Hindsight is a b**** but keep your chin up. At least you didn't burn the place down, right? I am sorry to say 300,000krw is not going to cover it but know exactly how far it's going to set you back and work out a compromise from there. Don't panic, it's not the end of the world and you will look back and laugh about it someday.

• zmffhdl
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 12:29:12 pm »
Oh and when you talk to your CT, LL or anyone you work for and with, you may want to keep it "how could I have known" instead of "I know it's my fault but..." From what I know, LLs have to replace wallpaper when a new tennant moves in anyway, as well as replacing and fixing damages. You should not hold yourself responsible like any decent person would, and then end up paying for costs that you don't have to bear.

• piyopayo
  • Veteran

• March 02, 2011, 08:56:34 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:44:46 pm »
Given that you knew that your pipes were frozen, you should have somehow contacted your landlord before you left for your trip. At least you should have let him/her know what the problem was and asked them to check it out while you were gone. Now that it has happened and you've never done anything from your end, I'm afraid you'll have to be responsible for all the damages.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 08:20:22 am »
You should not hold yourself responsible

I hope that was an attempt at humor.

Reminds of a week or so a go.  It was clear to me as it should have been to anyone that the pipes were frozen, indicated subtly by the frozen solid pipes. I figure oh okay dont run water got'cha.

Well the genius above decides this is the perfect time to do some laundry and go to bed. I woke up to a foot or so of water with more pouring in from the ceiling. I was not too happy, spent 2 hours pouring buckets of water out.

leaving the water running slightly would unfreeze the pipes eventually

seriously y'all, don't run water when the pipes are frozen. Pour hot water on them if possible.

But I'm really freaking out about the damage costs.

yea sadly there is no way to estimate how much, but it will be bad, with walls and floors. the bed desk etc is owned by the school so you can check your contract if there is anything about paying back damages to those.  And I would guess (but dont know) that they will put a lot of pressure on you to pay before you leave in fear that you wont come back, so you have that to contend with.

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 09:02:28 am »
hey, if you have a good relationship with your landlord am sure they will help you out.
just try and have some cash to fall back on incase if they really do not wabt to help you.

• zmffhdl
  • Adventurer

• South Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 02:48:49 pm »
You should not hold yourself responsible

I hope that was an attempt at humor.

Not wanting to be argumentative, I was referring to the fact that you have to take informed responsibilities to take reasonable course of action and figure out the possibility of compromise.

Off topic, in case other readers do try this advice:

seriously y'all, don't run water when the pipes are frozen. Pour hot water on them if possible.

THAT is not a good idea unless it's a drainage pipe :-[ Remaining water that puddles or moisture on the surface would freeze over them just making it re-freeze faster. 

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 05:38:09 pm »
Wow. So you planned on running water for 2 weeks? My apt has a standby switch that keeps the heat just above freezing so the pipes don't freeze.

I would definitely contact a LL for all major problems, including frozen pipes. That way you won't be liable for problems that occur during "repairs" But that's hindsight for ya.

Sounds real bad, hope it turns out well for you.