Read 3692 times

GEPIK budget cuts-no airfare
« on: February 21, 2011, 01:34:06 pm »
Hi Everyone!

As so many other teachers have, I got told that I no longer had a job for the new semester after signing a contract. I had booked my home-leave and paid for my airfare home and was told that I would get reimbursed. My school demanded the contract back, took away part of my vacation and is no longer reimbursing me for airfare.

I was wondering if anyone else, who had to give back a signed contract, had encountered. I feel that I am entitled to airfare, since we did, indeed, have a signed contract. GEPIK refuses to pay even half of the ticket and I'm not leaving Korea at the end of my contract, so I get nothing. Is anyone else having the same problem? I'm wondering whether I should legally fight to get the airfare. Any advice or thoughts? Thanks!

• Paul
  • Featured Contributor

• September 21, 2010, 10:28:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: GEPIK budget cuts-no airfare
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 01:37:21 pm »
A signed contract is the best proof the contract existed, y'know, because it IS the contract. Should you wish to assert your rights, I'd not go handing it back.
More primary school colours and shapes activity ideas and resources than you'd ever need - here
Holy free educational fonts Batman!

• pickle
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2010, 01:58:27 pm
    • Cheongju, Chungbuk
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 01:38:57 pm »
Does that mean you don't have a copy of the contract? Did they make you sign a new one with the changes you mentioned? I'm sorry, but I doubt you'd have much of a case with no proof of the original agreement.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 01:40:06 pm »
http://www.efl-law.com/korea.php.

They sign  a contract?? Read above site???

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 02:09:01 pm »
http://www.efl-law.com/korea.php.

They sign  a contract?? Read above site???

@JC49, the period is included in your hyperlink. clicking on it will take people to a 500 internal server error.
@everyone else, this is a useful link. you can click on it and just delete the last period after "php" to see the contents.

• JC49
  • Featured Contributor

• July 18, 2009, 08:41:03 am
    • PYEONTAEK,SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 02:12:06 pm »
Thanks for the correction  :).  Read the site and it will explain your legal recourse.

• isanghan
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 01:47:38 pm
    • 경기도 안산시 상록구 이동 660-4번지 203호
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 02:46:48 pm »
@OP, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I booked my two weeks' "home leave" in combination with the winter vacation days that I had accumulated, with the expectation that it would be reimbursed. I've since been told this is not the case.

After pouring over my contract, I have not found anything that explicitly states airfare upon the completion of a contract. However, as I'm not returning to my home country (instead moving back to Seoul), I may have missed something.

With my prior contracts, it was stated that upon the completion of a contract the school would either provide airfare back to the employee's home country or the cash equivalent of an economy class ticket in the even that the employee chose to remain in Korea.

@JC49, thank you for the link. I'll be giving it a browse myself.

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 02:52:00 pm »
However, as I'm not returning to my home country (instead moving back to Seoul), I may have missed something.

With my prior contracts, it was stated that upon the completion of a contract the school would either provide airfare back to the employee's home country or the cash equivalent of an economy class ticket in the even that the employee chose to remain in Korea.

If I'm not mistaken, the money you get upon completion of a contract is your severance.  Exit allowance (airfare) will only be paid once you leave Korea.  I'm sure the new contract (sorry i dont have it with me) specifically says that you won't get airfare (exit) if you're still going to work in Korea, and you won't get entry allowance from a new school if you've come from within Korea (like change of schools to a different province)... I do believe you still get settlement allowance, but thats the 300,000won...   Hope this helps!

• lizteacher10
  • Featured Contributor

• August 25, 2010, 07:59:14 am
    • Uijeongbu, korea
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 02:54:44 pm »
I am really sorry for your situation! I have no advice to offer but to fight back~ What they are doing this year is unacceptable! They should have sent a message to all schools to not let any teachers resign before this is decided! Do whatever you can to get your money back! Good Luck!!!!!

• isanghan
  • Veteran

• March 12, 2010, 01:47:38 pm
    • 경기도 안산시 상록구 이동 660-4번지 203호
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:59:50 pm »
However, as I'm not returning to my home country (instead moving back to Seoul), I may have missed something.

If I'm not mistaken, the money you get upon completion of a contract is your severance.  Exit allowance (airfare) will only be paid once you leave Korea.  I'm sure the new contract (sorry i dont have it with me) specifically says that you won't get airfare (exit) if you're still going to work in Korea, and you won't get entry allowance from a new school if you've come from within Korea (like change of schools to a different province)... I do believe you still get settlement allowance, but thats the 300,000won...   Hope this helps!
I should have mentioned, my prior contracts were with hagwon, and not with public schools. That clause that an airline ticket or cash equivalent may have been unique to those particular hagwon.

As for exit allowance with a public school/GEPIK contract, I am fairly sure that there was no mention of it in the contract that I had signed.

Quote from: lizteacher10
I am really sorry for your situation! I have no advice to offer but to fight back~ What they are doing this year is unacceptable! They should have sent a message to all schools to not let any teachers resign before this is decided! Do whatever you can to get your money back! Good Luck!!!!!
According to an email I received from Ary Kim, the GEPIK coordinator in Ansan, schools were told not to renew teachers' contracts:

"Your school was informed NOT to renew their contract with their GEPIK teacher and this was told to many other schools as well. However, somehow, a few schools (including yours) "accidentally forgot" to read the notice. We informed all schools NOT to renew teachers until we could confirm funding. We made it clear that there was no bugdet for renewal and that we would inform schools when we receive funding."

Some public schools/GEPIK certainly seem to have created a big mess...

• strawberry
  • Expert Waygook

• February 17, 2011, 10:08:30 am
    • Gyeongbuk, South Korea
    more
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 03:07:15 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, the money you get upon completion of a contract is your severance.  Exit allowance (airfare) will only be paid once you leave Korea.  I'm sure the new contract (sorry i dont have it with me) specifically says that you won't get airfare (exit) if you're still going to work in Korea, and you won't get entry allowance from a new school if you've come from within Korea (like change of schools to a different province)... I do believe you still get settlement allowance, but thats the 300,000won...   Hope this helps!
I should have mentioned, my prior contracts were with hagwon, and not with public schools. That clause that an airline ticket or cash equivalent may have been unique to those particular hagwon.

As for exit allowance with a public school/GEPIK contract, I am fairly sure that there was no mention of it in the contract that I had signed.

Quote from: lizteacher10
According to an email I received from Ary Kim, the GEPIK coordinator in Ansan, schools were told not to renew teachers' contracts:

"Your school was informed NOT to renew their contract with their GEPIK teacher and this was told to many other schools as well. However, somehow, a few schools (including yours) "accidentally forgot" to read the notice. We informed all schools NOT to renew teachers until we could confirm funding. We made it clear that there was no bugdet for renewal and that we would inform schools when we receive funding."

Some public schools/GEPIK certainly seem to have created a big mess...

:o  WOW!!! That's really terrible!!!!!!  I think if the school effed up, you shouldn't be the one feeling it.... fight!!! :D