Read 4306 times

• Davidpgreen64
  • Waygookin

• December 22, 2012, 07:43:30 pm
    • Asan Chungcheongnam-do
Is the strawberry a fruit or a vegetable?
« on: January 23, 2013, 11:05:18 am »
I was talking to one of my students and she suddenly proclaimed that the strawberry was not a fruit but indeed a vegetable.  She then went to show me through 'naver' web site that she was right, it said on the Korean web site that a strawberry is a vegetable.

What are your views on this?

• Polo
  • Waygookin

• March 18, 2010, 03:53:21 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Is the strawberry a fruit or a vegetable?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2013, 11:17:19 am »
I would have replied with a the question, What about a tomato is it a fruit or vegetable?

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2013, 11:21:29 am »
Neither. It's an accessory fruit, or pseudofruit, by botanical definition. The part we eat doesn't form from the ovary like other fruits, but from the part of the stem which holds the ovaries. See this webpage for more: http://www.inhs.uiuc.edu/~kenr/grocery/A

But to most people, it's a fruit. By botanical definition again, fruits contain seeds, vegetables do not. That's why tomatoes are correctly fruits, not vegetables. Same with peppers, cucumbers, beans, and peas

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2013, 11:57:30 am »
By botanical definition again, fruits contain seeds, vegetables do not. That's why tomatoes are correctly fruits, not vegetables. Same with peppers, cucumbers, beans, and peas

is that a general definition? i've never thought of it like that..!! very interesting :)
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2013, 12:13:13 pm »
Food classification is weird: I think people normally tend to define fruit or vegetables more by taste than by what part of the plant it's actually from.

Technically speaking:

Rhubarb, prickly pear, and strawberries aren't fruits,
while vanilla, cucumbers, squashes, and tomatoes are.

Also, interestingly, peanuts are a type of bean, while coffee beans are actually the seeds from a fruit (as is chocolate) .
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 12:15:35 pm by kyndo »

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2013, 03:27:15 pm »
That's why tomatoes are correctly fruits, not vegetables. Same with peppers, cucumbers, beans, and peas

Beans and peas are legumes.

• lisselou
  • Adventurer

• November 03, 2010, 09:23:10 am
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »
Food classification is weird: I think people normally tend to define fruit or vegetables more by taste than by what part of the plant it's actually from.

Technically speaking:

Also, interestingly, peanuts are a type of bean, while coffee beans are actually the seeds from a fruit (as is chocolate) .

Rhubarb isn't a fruit. A strawberry isn't a berry, but it is a fruit. Prickly pears are also fruits.

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 04:00:38 pm »

Technically speaking:

this reminded me of that saying: knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting tomato in a fruit salad  8)

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 06:37:08 pm »
Rhubarb isn't a fruit. A strawberry isn't a berry, but it is a fruit. Prickly pears are also fruits.
A strawberry isn't fruit in the sense that it is not the part of a flowering plant that is derived from  the ovaries. As a previous poster mentioned, the red fleshy part of the strawberry is actually  the receptacle that holds the ovaries. This makes it an 'accessory fruit' as opposed to just 'fruit'.

And yes, you are correct, prickly pears are fruit, my bad. :-[

Beans and peas are legumes.

And legumes are, botanically speaking, fruit. Which makes peanuts fruit.  :huh:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 06:40:29 pm by kyndo »

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 06:48:08 pm »

this reminded me of that saying: knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting tomato in a fruit salad  8)

Strange you say that since I've had a few Korean milk fruit salads with tomatoes in them.

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 07:11:21 pm »
Fruit.  Come on kids. 

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 08:13:47 pm »
Food group classification is a hot topic that, in general has no right or wrong answer. Whatever the "powers that be" think should be the method, that's what's generally accepted. But, there will always be fringe groups with differing ideas about classification.

I ignore some classifications, such as the simple seed vs no seed one, and rely on the taste of the food in question. The sweetness level. The amount of sugars in something could be a legitimate way to define certain groups (primarily separating fruits and vegetables).

So, in the end, do whatever you want. And if someone tries to force their concept of food classification on you, tell them to get lost!

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2013, 03:39:26 pm »
It's very easy to figure out the difference between fruits and vegetables.  First, hold the conflicted food in your hand and hold it above your head.  Stand on your right leg and spin around five times.  If you hold your balance, it's a vegetable.  If you fall, it's a fruit.  Seriously, it's not that difficult.

:P

That being said, I'd say fruit, only because I was raised with it being used as a fruit, just as a tomato has always been a vegetable.  If it was different for you, then it was different.  :wink:

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2013, 03:54:46 pm »
Meat!
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2013, 05:49:34 pm »
If it has seeds, it's a fruit.

If it's part of the root, stem, flower, or leaf it's a vegetable.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2013, 02:54:28 am »
All these replies and slightly humorous debate on .......

the Fruit classification of strawberries.

All started because somebody decided to try to rationalize with a kid about a stupid ass belief.  Plus from a Korean kid.  Hey I have learned to avoid the endless arguments and circular reasoning God forbid the when word Japan comes up. 

Here is the correct response when the next time this kind of thing comes up .
"Uh huh, Okay, that's sound neat.... whatever....., going on...."  Add an eye roll or sad shake of the head, if needed.  Then continue teaching.   Do not waste the time and effort (unless you do need to waste the time).  Your students are young and you will very unlikely change their mind.

That is the same response I gave when some girl said writing on your hand with pen (which I do) is liking smoking a cigarette as it has the same level of poisons.  I almost started to argue but I knew better.  I stopped myself.   

Maybe I am jaded, but after getting into arguments about the stupidest things with students about mad cow, Anton Ohno, ink on skin, Korean history, US military in Korea, racists views, Korean food, China, Japan, GOD damn it, even GOD.  I know understand the various quotes about arguing with idiots.   Please learn from my experience, just don't do it.

When you argue with an idiot people can not tell the two apart.

Thanks Johnny Russian for the knowledge/wisdom quote.  I love it....

Before I go.   

Strawberry is a ****ING fruit.  That classification has seemed to work out pretty fine for ME most of my life.  Nothing in the last 10 years or so has changed that fact.   Korea has actually reinforced it a fruit because I once for some strange reason had Sushi from some Korean shushi place that for some strange reason had strawberry on/in it!

Rant Over.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 03:00:06 am by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2013, 08:07:56 am »
All these replies and slightly humorous debate on .......
the Fruit classification of strawberries.
This is one of the things I love about this forum: the long, passionate arguments that (mostly) highly educated, mature individuals make about the most insignificant of things. The smattering of (usually) clever sarcasm, irony, and subtle trolling by certain individuals (we all know who they are) just makes it even better. I also appreciate how rarely it devolves into name calling. Yay us!  ;D
When you argue with an idiot people can not tell the two apart.
Yep. Beautiful quote. From now on I'll be thinking of this every time somebody calls me an idiot (which is fairly often  :cry:)
A strawberry is a ****ING fruit.
Obscure technicalities aside, I think everybody here can agree with this.

Arguments like this are generally what happens when there are multiple systems of classifications for the same group of things (do a little bit of reading on the subject, and it's possible to endlessly troll taxonomists).
I love technicalities and tend towards the pedantic (which, of course, is why I'm now a teacher) so I'm gonna call a strawberry an accessory fruit, a peanut a fruit, and rhubarb a vegetable, but... chacun à son goût, n'est pas?