• Philbo
  • Adventurer

• July 24, 2012, 10:36:17 am
    • Korea
    more
Aged-out of teaching in Korea?
« on: January 22, 2013, 12:10:58 pm »
Hi to all,

I am 50 years old, soon to be 51. Have I been ‘aged-out’ of teaching in Korea?
I have been contacted by a few recruiters who have brought up the ‘issue’ of my age in their interviews, in declaring I should accept positions that are less than favorable to me, (Rural-long commutes). “Hagwons prefer young teachers”. I am told.

I haven’t exactly been overwhelmed with offers considering that I have one years teaching experience in Korea. (Youth and beauty over teaching experience?)

I guess that eventually, someone will throw this old dog an acceptable bone...Ha ha!

Have any other ‘oldies’ out there had similar experiences?

Good luck out there!

P.

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
Re: Aged-out of teaching in Korea?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2013, 12:19:32 pm »
thats true but don't listen to them. PLEASE you will get a job. Name these recruiters, I don't want to do business with someone that practicies ageism. Keep trying, you will get a job.

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2013, 12:36:43 pm »
thats true but don't listen to them. PLEASE you will get a job. Name these recruiters, I don't want to do business with someone that practicies ageism. Keep trying, you will get a job.

He HAS been offered jobs put apparently he is being picky. There are a lot of people that had to accept rural work that are under 50. Squeaky wheel gets the grease so keep searching I guess.
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 02:29:51 pm »
Not wanting to do biz with someone who practices ageism?

:undecided:

That's very liberal-minded of you. But this is Korea. Are you aware of how the market here demands youth? Kinda foolish to boycott a recruiter when all they're doing is giving the market what it wants. If anything, boycott Korea.

Hey, OP, why are you in Korea? Better jobs for ppl your age in other parts of the world, right? I mean, you don't have the quals for the best jobs here like others do. Just trying to help...
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 04:22:33 pm »
Maximum age to start EPIK is currently 62:

http://www.epik.go.kr/category/detail.epik?cid=2

Keep trying!

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 05:32:32 pm »
I don't want to do business with someone that practicies ageism.

:laugh: You mean the entire country?

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 05:35:53 pm »
I don't want to do business with someone that practicies ageism.

:laugh: You mean the entire country?

HAHAAHA so true this made me laugh. Thanks I needed that today
WinRAR, WinRAR, chicken dinrar

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 06:09:40 pm »

Do you do a lot of business with recruiters?
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• uhnothanks
  • Newgookin

• December 18, 2012, 05:30:40 pm
    • Suwon-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2013, 09:40:58 am »
You also might want to consider that one year of teaching experience in Korea is not very much.  More people are staying here for longer periods of time.  Most people I know have been here for more than two years and a lot of them are still in their early twenties.

• Philbo
  • Adventurer

• July 24, 2012, 10:36:17 am
    • Korea
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2013, 10:25:00 am »
Hi all,

I would just like to clarify one thing. I have not been offered any positions as yet. It was merely suggested to me that I should consider rural positions if they are offered. If a rural position with good conditions (Salary, apartment etc.) was offered, then I would certainly consider it, rather than instantly brushing it off.

I certainly would not consider boycotting Korea because of a few hiccups in the job-hunting process. I look forward to returning soon.

Yes, I shall keep trying.

P.

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2013, 10:29:09 am »
I have to pretty much echo the rest of the advice given here.  Either don't be picky and take a less favorable job or find another career path.  What did you do before coming to Korea anyway?

• zmffhdl
  • Adventurer

• January 18, 2013, 09:13:21 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2013, 10:00:15 pm »
That's funny, because I've once been turned down for a position I applied for that "they are looking for someone mature who they can relate more to". I'm in my 30's :-/
Different people want different things, so you never know.

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2013, 11:30:11 pm »
At 35 years old and with around 2 years experience in Korea many recruiters told me I was too 'old' for an academy position (I eventually got a new hakwon job). I'd keep applying for jobs with different recruiters (I'm sure something will come up however there's no denying age is becoming a bigger factor particularly with academies). Otherwise have you considered teaching in a different country such as Thailand or Vietnam (I'd be there if it wasn't for personal debt payments)?  Having said that Korea is pretty good compared to China (I tried to live and teach there and I didn't last long). It took me 3 months to get back to Korea via recruiters on-line (if you're still in Korea I'm sure it won't take that long).

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 08:32:03 am »
Please ignore most of what has been said. I think age might be a factor when applying for a job at an academy (Hogwon) that teach children but honestly you probablly want to avoid those jobs. There are many jobs teaching adults (YBM, Pagoda, Wall Street, Direct English) and I am sure they would appreciate someone who was a little bit older. Also, university positions prefer older applicants. I think what might be your biggest disadvantage is proper qualifications and experience. If you have an MA, TESOL certificate, CELTA, or teaching license then I think you would have much better luck finding work. Anyways, I wish you all the best and be persistent. There are many jobs out there, just be patient and keep searching.

• Synoptic23
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 09:40:28 am
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:53 am »
If the maximum age to start working for EPIK is 62, I wonder what age they deem as too old to continue working. The oldest Korean at my school was around 60, maybe. I could be wrong.
Korea since 2009

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2013, 04:48:55 pm »
If the maximum age to start working for EPIK is 62, I wonder what age they deem as too old to continue working. The oldest Korean at my school was around 60, maybe. I could be wrong.

62, if you get a position when you are 62 in a public school your will be very lucky (unless you already are in Korea and have an E2 visa). You will be given just that one year after that it is goodbye. Retirement age is 62 here for teachers in public schools.

When I came to Korea I was told that the maximum entrance age is 55 for an E2 visa. You can work till you turn 62 and complete the contract which may mean you are 63 by that time, but after that is is adios.  I confirmed this the other day with my MOE.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2013, 05:12:39 pm »
I've never met or even heard of an EFL teacher older than like...35.

But good luck.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2013, 06:16:02 pm »
I've never met or even heard of an EFL teacher older than like...35.

But good luck.

I am 60, so now you have heard of one.   ;D ;D ;D
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• jurassic82
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 12:30:51 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2013, 06:17:17 pm »
I have met many EFL teachers over 35. They are mostly all university instructors or work at international schools. There are very good jobs to be had here if you are older, and have the qualifications and teaching experience.

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
The last I heard was that there was no age limit for getting an E2 visa to teach in a hagwon as long as you could get hired.  But that was what I heard a couple of years ago.   That could have changed.