Read 5810 times

Why do people sell yoga mats on waygook?
« on: January 21, 2013, 02:44:30 pm »
I find this to be a very odd thing. People selling yoga mats. I've seen them throughout the buy,sell, trade section when people move out of their apartments.  Now if they are brand new, that is fine. Now if they are USED, why? Please god why? From my experience, I get my feet, sweat, and grime all over the yoga mat, so I wouldn't dare sell it someone. Also, when you purchase a yoga mat, why would you want to resell something that is transportable and that encourages your everyday practice? It's the equivalent of selling used underwear. Am I the only one that feels this way?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 02:46:40 pm by hchong1 »

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Why do people sell yoga mats on waygook?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 03:23:39 pm »
people buy things, leave the country and don't want to take the mats with them...
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 05:02:50 pm »
I never thought of the gross factor.  I always thought is was bad for two reasons.
 One why pay for something used that would be worn down, plus dirt.  Most people who sell would not reduce the price to reflect the wear and tear.  You could buy a new one for the maybe twice the price or less.  Some things are not worth getting used.
Second, was the hassle in getting it.  Getting in contact with the seller, settling on a price, finding a way to pay. meeting or shipping to the buyer.  I thought for all that hassle, I could  just spend the extra money and have it in my hands in a day or less.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 05:08:32 pm by skippy »
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 09:44:58 pm »
Why do people sell a lot of things on waygook/classifieds?

Someone was trying to sell a used vibrator on pusanweb not too long ago. True story.

As for the other crap people try to sell, it kills me to see some of those postings...I know when I move I won't be dragging my belongings across the city to sell for 3,000 or 4,000 won. If I need an extension chord or a single set of chopsticks I'll go to homeplus!

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 02:09:38 am »
My mother is somewhat of a hoarder. Not quite the extent of the TV show, but not that far off either. That's caused me to be quite the opposite and I take great pride and satisfaction in throwing things away. I have a 3 month use policy.

Two weeks ago I threw away a perfectly fine honeywell hepa air purifier. It was great! Why would I want to sell it? The money isn't worth the time or hassle. I don't care to deal with other foreigners, haggling, etc. That's not me.

I might sell my TV or computer one day, but that's about it. You wont see me selling dishes or something. Who the hell is going to buy your used dishes?! That's absurd. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to DAISO. Go buy your dishes for 1,000 or 2,000 won.

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2013, 08:02:58 am »
Why do people sell a lot of things on waygook/classifieds?

Someone was trying to sell a used vibrator on pusanweb not too long ago. True story.

As for the other crap people try to sell, it kills me to see some of those postings...I know when I move I won't be dragging my belongings across the city to sell for 3,000 or 4,000 won. If I need an extension chord or a single set of chopsticks I'll go to homeplus!

That vibrator would sell at a profit on the streets of Japan. She should throw in a pair of used undies and make it a package deal!
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• grezbob
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 02:26:17 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2013, 08:06:26 am »
I am not against the idea of selling used goods, indeed recycling is vital in today's world (esp. in densely populated S.Korea). However, I always remain shocked at the prices people charge for the most basic of things (and even more shocked when I see people have actually bought them!) when HomePlus, Daiso etc. would be cheaper or at least not much more expensive and hassle free for the brand new product. Anything I want to get rid of I place outside my apartment building in the knowledge that someone who wants/needs it will pick it up.

• mycena
  • Veteran

• May 08, 2011, 10:59:19 am
    • Masan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2013, 08:17:46 am »
My boyfriend and I are process of getting ready to move and I started falling into the mindset of "I have to sell everything." Then I realised how dumb that was. I live in the middle of nowhere, so I'm just going to box it up and take it to the area where all the foreigners in my town live. I'll put a post on FB and let them know what's there. Dealing with the hassle of arranging meet-ups for 3,000 won pieces of crap isn't worth it.

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2013, 09:08:13 am »
HAHA Your original post made me laugh as I just threw away my old yoga mat yesterday.
The replacement cost me 5,000 won at Daiso, and its pretty decent.

I do see the benefit in selling household items though.  Some people really appreciate getting them used as kitchen items and the like can be expensive here. Often times the items are only a year old.  If friends don't want to take them off my hands, I'd rather sell it cheaply to someone who could benefit than leave it for trash.  Of course, its usually up to the people who want to buy to come and pick it up.  But hey, why not help the environment as well as let other waygooks have some good items for cheap?

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2013, 09:21:45 am »
I actually cringe a bit when I see open/used spices and grocery items for sale lol

• _Omiak_
  • Veteran

• February 29, 2012, 08:16:39 pm
    • Gwangju, SK
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 10:54:35 am »
Because you can easily clean and disinfect a used yoga mat?

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53:24 pm »
That's absurd. Ladies and gentlemen, I would like to introduce you to DAISO. Go buy your dishes for 1,000 or 2,000 won.

I only use Corningware dishes, which, unfortunately, do not come that cheaply. I'll just give them away when we finally do leave Korea, however.
Well la de da, looks like we got a real aristocrat amongst us.
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
I wouldn't buy a used yoga mat but I understand the majority of what is sold (why would you rather waste open spices than give them to someone who obviously wants them?).

It's less surprising than the amount of people here who will splurge on gigantic apartments, purchase their own vehicles while arguing that public transit is bad in this country, or those that would actually buy a Mont Blanc pen.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• bts21
  • Adventurer

• September 04, 2012, 10:15:28 am
    • Gyeongbuk
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »
Selling a used yoga mat isn't just trying to squeeze every last penny out of your belongings, it's gross and borderline dangerous. If that mat was ever used for classes, athlete's foot is the least of your worries - think more along the lines of MRSA, which can get really, really nasty. Like all exercise equipment, yoga mats have to be cleaned regularly, and because of all that they come in contact with they're actually supposed to be sanitized at least monthly if you're using them regularly. Almost nobody actually does this. Just because the owner of the yoga mat never got sick from anything on it doesn't mean that the buyer won't - different immune systems. It's absolutely not comparable to used dishes. It's closer to selling a used sponge or a used novelty toilet seat.

The heart of the problem, though, is that people think of online sales posts as digital garage sales. You won't see used yoga mats listed in the newspaper classifieds, but you will see them leaning up against a pile of Furbies in some forsaken corner of a yard sale. The idea is that they're selling all this good stuff anyway, so why not pile the useless junk on top of it and see if anyone bites? People don't think of the effort involved in delivering (or coming to get) all of these individual items.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2013, 01:52:39 pm »
It's not so much what people sell. It's the stupidly high rip off prices that get me!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 02:25:19 pm »
It's not so much what people sell. It's the stupidly high rip off prices that get me!
I know!
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:01:58 pm »

+1

Ain't foolin' no one here.

• skippy
  • Expert Waygook

• January 12, 2011, 04:08:17 pm
    • Daejeon
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:26:35 pm »

+1

Ain't foolin' no one here.

+2.  Never mind the added costs in getting the item to you.

For some items, it is not really worth it selling here.  Better to sell in city via a facebook group.
Please consider adding some info to your "Personal Text"  Like type of school, visa status, county of origin.  These little bits of info can help people help you.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 10:52:53 pm »
Mont Blanc pen.

I had to Google this.

I can't fathrom somebody spending that kind of money on a pen. I spent $7 on a special kind of pencil, and I thought that was pretty high.

This disturbs me. My world is upside down.