Read 10092 times

High electric bill . what should I do?
« on: January 19, 2013, 11:36:57 am »
I   got  my electric bill  yesterday 552,470 korean Won. and December  bill  was less  than 200 korean Won .     Regardless    Im  spending all day  at work  till 7 p.m.   :cry:        I  think  smth  is  really  going  on  here ..  Im  using electric  hitter  during 12  hours  a  day  but  still  compare  to  previous  bills   this  bill is  too  much  for  me !!!! above  the  electricity  bill  they  charged  me  additional  payment  for  the  office tell  so  total  it  came  out  for  the 704.000 Korean  Won .. My bill  is  hire  than  my rent  this month....   How  is  that possible ?

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: High electric bill . what should I do?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2013, 04:07:20 pm »
I   got  my electric bill  yesterday 552,470 korean Won. and December  bill  was less  than 200 korean Won .     Regardless    Im  spending all day  at work  till 7 p.m.   :cry:        I  think  smth  is  really  going  on  here ..  Im  using electric  hitter  during 12  hours  a  day  but  still  compare  to  previous  bills   this  bill is  too  much  for  me !!!! above  the  electricity  bill  they  charged  me  additional  payment  for  the  office tell  so  total  it  came  out  for  the 704.000 Korean  Won .. My bill  is  hire  than  my rent  this month....   How  is  that possible ?

Are you an English teacher?

Have you checked your electric meter?

• Koreak
  • Super Waygook

• November 13, 2010, 08:15:43 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 04:31:43 pm »
If you're using an electric heater for 12 hours a day that would explain it.  Those things drain electricity like crazy.

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 05:55:57 pm »
But  I  was using  it  before  the  same ....??? Nothing  changed  ....   and   my bills were  4  times less  than  this price.....?   

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 06:18:03 pm »
I can't answer your specific question but I feel your pain. My gas bill during the winter is outrageous. I think it's because I use the floor heater sometimes, but really not that much. In the summer time, my bill can be 10,000 but in the winter it's about 40,000 to 50,000. I even avoided using it during the month of November to try saving on utilities but then my pipes froze and it was blamed on me, so I had to pay for my pipes to be unfrozen...150,000. Mother....so this past month I started using the floor heater periodically to make sure the pipes don't freeze again and I got my bill today. EXPENSIVE. All my friends say there's is nowhere near that expensive. It doesn't seem uniform, at all. I can't explain it. I just have to pay up and deal with it. =/

Sorry.

edit: my problem is not as extreme as yours. I would suggest getting a super blanket. For 50,000, you could get a pretty good one and also, there might be a more serious problem. I'd ask the school to look into it for you. That doesn't sound right, at all.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2013, 06:20:13 pm by aalexandromoreno »

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2013, 07:09:02 pm »
No  Im not  an  English  teacher  Im  working  for  the  company    and  my  electric  meter  almost  the  same  as  others (  I  checked  in  others  mail  boxes and  took  pictures) ... But  according  to  their  bills  they  pay 150   for  the almost   same  amount  used  electric power as  mine 

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:21 pm »
No  Im not  an  English  teacher  Im  working  for  the  company    and  my  electric  meter  almost  the  same  as  others (  I  checked  in  others  mail  boxes and  took  pictures) ... But  according  to  their  bills  they  pay 150   for  the almost   same  amount  used  electric power as  mine

Ok, well you need to find a Korean to help you.  Maybe someone in the same building who uses the same billing system?

Electric bills are high in the winter, but I hope you can find an explanation why.

Good luck.

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 09:39:35 pm »
A few comments.

1) Find out how much electricity your heater uses per hour, mine uses 2 kw on full power so that equals 2 kwh every hour. Now my heater is a small electric one, but see if you can find a manual even if you can not read Korean they should give some indication of it's power consumption. If I used my heater 12 hours a day every day that would be (30days x 12 hours x 2 KHW(heater) = 720 kwh).

Looking at the tables on the back of my icepco bill it has a table of power consumption KWH vs price. The problem is that the bill we get comprises a number of tables with KWH, and our power price is made up of multiple charges (And I don't speak Korean). But from table 4 I get a value of  284,480 won for 700 kwh, which is about half of your bill. Obviously the other charges would add up to make it even larger. (WARNING: I am only making educated guesses from my bill).

2) [size=78%]What is your electricity consumption[/size][size=78%] on your bill in KWH?[/size]

3) A 200 won (two hundred I assume not 200,000 won?) bill for December looks suspiciously (assuming you were living in your apartment then)  like there was an error in reading your meter in December. Everybody makes mistakes and thus maybe you are getting a bill for two months of power?
Does your bill have a chart of KWH consumption for the last 12 months? (KHW vs. numbers(months)).

4) Check your address on the bill. Is it the same?, but then it is unlikely that you got the wrong bill by mistake.

5) Get onto it quickly so that you don't get hit with late payment charges.

6) You mention an office?, perhaps there is a different rate for these places compared to a apartment? (just a thought)

Finally get in a Korean or try ringing the power company to get a explanation of the bill, I recall my company had a English speaker when we changed the name on the bill to mine.

Even if the bill is in Korean with a bit of educated guess work one can make a good guess on what many of the fields on your bill are and thus what is going on.

My susppission though is that your heater is a thirsty energy hungry beast eating electricity and that your December bill may not have been correctly read thus increasing your bill further.
PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 10:02:39 pm »
A few comments.

1) Find out how much electricity your heater uses per hour, mine uses 2 kw on full power so that equals 2 kwh every hour. Now my heater is a small electric one, but see if you can find a manual even if you can not read Korean they should give some indication of it's power consumption. If I used my heater 12 hours a day every day that would be (30days x 12 hours x 2 KHW(heater) = 720 kwh).

Looking at the tables on the back of my icepco bill it has a table of power consumption KWH vs price. The problem is that the bill we get comprises a number of tables with KWH, and our power price is made up of multiple charges (And I don't speak Korean). But from table 4 I get a value of  284,480 won for 700 kwh, which is about half of your bill. Obviously the other charges would add up to make it even larger. (WARNING: I am only making educated guesses from my bill).

2) [size=78%]What is your electricity consumption[/size][size=78%] on your bill in KWH?[/size]

3) A 200 won (two hundred I assume not 200,000 won?) bill for December looks suspiciously (assuming you were living in your apartment then)  like there was an error in reading your meter in December. Everybody makes mistakes and thus maybe you are getting a bill for two months of power?
Does your bill have a chart of KWH consumption for the last 12 months? (KHW vs. numbers(months)).

4) Check your address on the bill. Is it the same?, but then it is unlikely that you got the wrong bill by mistake.

5) Get onto it quickly so that you don't get hit with late payment charges.

6) You mention an office?, perhaps there is a different rate for these places compared to a apartment? (just a thought)

Finally get in a Korean or try ringing the power company to get a explanation of the bill, I recall my company had a English speaker when we changed the name on the bill to mine.

Even if the bill is in Korean with a bit of educated guess work one can make a good guess on what many of the fields on your bill are and thus what is going on.

My susppission though is that your heater is a thirsty energy hungry beast eating electricity and that your December bill may not have been correctly read thus increasing your bill further.

It's 'kepco', not 'icepco'.

If you take the meter reading over one month you can enter the figure at their website and it will calculate the bill:
http://cyber.kepco.co.kr/cyber/01_personal/01_payment/payment_calculate/cal_01.jsp

• bawaugh
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2012, 08:49:30 pm
    • Geoje
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2013, 01:24:26 am »
Nice link to the website. Quite useful especially the bit on how to read your bill.

As for the name, the logo on the bill does look like icepco.

PV=nRT

Where
P is pressure
V is volume
n is number of moles
R is the gas constant
T is the temperature

• lotte world
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2013, 09:30:15 am »
Nice link to the website. Quite useful especially the bit on how to read your bill.

As for the name, the logo on the bill does look like icepco.

Yes, it's a stylised spelling of 'kepco'.  The 'I' is the vertical stroke of the 'K' and the 'C' is the other bit.  It is the "Korea Electric Power COrporation".

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 11:24:34 am »
My  Bill  coming  from the office gwanli samuso ...   and  Im  going  to  get  bills  from KEPCO   to  figure   it out

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 11:33:30 am »
I paid a 500,000+ won electricity bill for two months worth of air conditioning in the summer (kept my place at 18 C, even when sleeping). I just got a 500,000 won bill for heating the last two months because I keep the thermostat at 20-22 C in the winter.

I pay it without batting an eye.

Just like I pay whatever price fresh vegetables and fruit are. Strawberries for 8000 won a box? Bell peppers at 3000 won each? No problem.

Comfort and health are priceless.

I don't pay rent, so paying a lot for utilities and fresh food still leaves me with over half a paycheque to play with!

It's all a matter of your priorities...

I knew a guy who got 30,000 won utility bills because he went around wearing a jacket in his apartment, heat off, took cold showers, and sweated in his shorts in the summer, taking midnight cold showers to cool down when trying to sleep. He saved a heck of a lot of money but I didn't envy his money-saving habits for a second.

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2013, 11:13:49 am »
I live in  the officetel and  my  rent is 780.000 Korean Won also I pay bills.    For  me  to  receive  bill   almost  the  same  price  as  my  rent  is  a  nonsenece...  I  know  for  sure  that  smth  is  going  on  there I  checked  my  naber's  bills    and  I  found  some  mistakes   in  their  bills   also   according  to  KEPCO   calculating   some  of  them  paying  more  than  that, some  of  them  paying  too  much  less ( for example   my  naber  got  bill  and  they  used 719kwh  price   they have to pay 110.710  Korean  Won    other  naber, got 383 kwh  and   price is 75, 520Korean won and so on  ...acciording to the  website  nothing  is  right  here: http://cyber.kepco.co.kr/cyber/01_personal/01_payment/payment_calculate/cal_01.jsp
 plus  I  went  to  KEPCO and they  said    that  they  can  not help me they  give  a  bill  for  all  apt  and   관리사무소에   splitting  bills  among the people. And all information  I  can get  only  from  the  office  of  the  building .(  관리사무소에 )
also  i  found  simply  mistakes  in  my  bill   (size  off  my  apt  60 pyong( 2134 square feet) but  im  living  in 18 pyong  apts (640 square feet)  according  to  the    관리사무소에 everything  is  right  but 60 pyong   and  18 pyong  its  a  simple  mistake and  no  matter  what , I  have  to pay  my bill .. Ill  try one  more  time   to  go over there  with  korean person  but  I  think  nothing  is  going  to  change  ....  I  have  to  pay  smb's  bill  I  guess  and ILl try  to  investigate  everything  next month  to  get  some  avidence  during  the  month  by  checking  my  electric  utilities  and make  a  research  ab  my  nabers..(also   I will   check  my  metter.
P.s:  according  to  people  from      관리사무소에   I  do not  have  to  care  ab  the  metter)    thats  a  big lie  here   I  have  rights to  check  my metter   and  I  really   think  they  went  too  far  by  doing  this to  the  people.

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2013, 11:45:14 am »
I paid a 500,000+ won electricity bill for two months worth of air conditioning in the summer (kept my place at 18 C, even when sleeping). I just got a 500,000 won bill for heating the last two months because I keep the thermostat at 20-22 C in the winter.

I pay it without batting an eye.

Just like I pay whatever price fresh vegetables and fruit are. Strawberries for 8000 won a box? Bell peppers at 3000 won each? No problem.

Comfort and health are priceless.

I don't pay rent, so paying a lot for utilities and fresh food still leaves me with over half a paycheque to play with!

It's all a matter of your priorities...

I knew a guy who got 30,000 won utility bills because he went around wearing a jacket in his apartment, heat off, took cold showers, and sweated in his shorts in the summer, taking midnight cold showers to cool down when trying to sleep. He saved a heck of a lot of money but I didn't envy his money-saving habits for a second.

What!?

I'm looking over my bills and my electricity bill has never been over 10,000 for the month since I got here in August.

For the month of mid Dec to mid Jan it's 7500 won.

It shows the KWhrs I used.

I imagine my gas bill will be pretty high because I've been using the ondol but never my electricity [at least not until July].

• jeonbuksa
  • Explorer

• December 31, 2011, 03:38:04 am
    • Jeonbuk
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2013, 01:00:50 pm »
Have a Korean friend phone the electricity company. In my case I got a massive bill one month , it was in the range of 130,000 won (this was in the summer) where I normally paid less than 10,000 won in each month prior to that. Kepco immediately acknowledged that they made a mistake with the reading of the electricity meter and rectified it on the spot. They were additionally quite embarrassed by the fact that the mistake was on a foreigner's bill.

This is my experience though and I suspect that your use of a heater may have driven up the electricity usage but nonetheless , it sounds as if there is some problem with your bill. Mistakes are rare here but not unheard of.

So good luck and I hope it gets sorted out ;D