Read 21086 times

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 16, 2011, 12:51:55 pm
    • Earth
    more
I just came back to say goodbye
« on: January 12, 2013, 11:53:57 pm »
Dave's ESL Cafe was once a fantastic site. Then the mods took over and it became a useless wasteland of banality, apologists, and lost souls with nothing better to do than muck about wasting time. The only thing it is good for now is job hunting.

Waygook was once a fantastic site. Then the mods took over and it has become a wasteland. Pure and simple. One can still download lesson plans and games, but those things are available on dozens of other sites. You can't even find a decent job here. You can, however, find...wellll....

There is another site. One where there are no mods to hassle you, to say things like " I like so and so thus it does not matter what he/she says, I won't mute. censor them."

One where a poster, such as I, won't get muted for  a reason unexplained that lasts for weeks then extends into lesser permutations for months.

Waygook sucks. There is a  far better alternative, a site where the posters are treated as adults. A site where you are not censored for using *** these things in place of letters in a swear word. A place where there are specific forums to vent drunkenly. To talk about (God forbid) sex. Where you can type swear words without *** these things. Where we are treated as adults.

Run away from this Waygook junk. It is beneath you. Unless of course you like it. In which case, I feel sorry for you.

I don't even know what I did but I have been under some sort of moderation for months. The mods haven't even had the courage to (A) tell me which mod did me in or (B) why

Cowards.

Expatkorea.com

If you want to be free.....run here now.

Okay mods...spank me for expressing an opinion.
"The urge to destroy is also a creative urge."
Bakunin

• mrjinglescf
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2012, 07:31:28 am
    • Seoul
    more
Re: I just came back to say goodbye
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2013, 12:16:06 am »
Thanks man, I am checking out expatkorea.com

I know we are in Korea, but censorship should be from the government, not from expat forums.

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Earth
    more
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2013, 12:22:41 am »
Thanks man, I am checking out expatkorea.com

I know we are in Korea, but censorship should be from the government, not from expat forums.

Talk that talk brother. There are far better sites than this. This site stinks!
Bakunin

• Cereal
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Earth
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2013, 12:28:49 am »
Take  a quick look at the ridiculous postings here.

Duh...What's your favourite song man

Uhh...do you like blue or pink for an accent colour

Umm...Is a double windsor knot preferable for job interview or would you just go with a turtle neck

Give me a break!

Yep...Waygook rules! The last refuge of the great unwashed, Unless you miss Dave's of course.
Bakunin

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 08:15:33 am »
Wow, who rained on your parade this morning? Man, if you don't like an article, don't read it. I pick what I read and don't read those in which I don't have an interest.

To trash a site because you don't like some of the articles is a little arrogant.

Cheers
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• September 01, 2010, 12:14:19 pm
    • Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 09:35:53 am »
I doubt you'll see this because you'll never use this site again (oh, the horror) but you seem to be way too upset about a website--you should try getting out more. 

If you use this site as a tool, one of many, and not so much a dumping ground for rhetoric then you probably wouldn't have such a hard time.

While this might seem overly critical (I don't), I do agree with you that there should always be an explanation as to why someone is moderated and a way for the other MODs to determine if it is legitimate.

Good luck to you!

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:02:23 am »
I probably shouldn't be on here either, Cereal. The moderation on swearing is ****** retarded. Actually, the moderation of Gabfest at all is ****** retarded.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2013, 10:16:41 am »
The core of the problem with Waygook, though, is that Arsalan wants it to be a 'professional site'.

:laugh:

He wants us E-2s to treat our jobs as 'professional'.

Any idiot with two eyes who scrolls through Waygook posts can see the amount of unprofessional behaviour we have to put up with -- from our CoTs, principals, and schools. Our jobs here (for many of us, not all, but many) are anything but professional.

So why try to make the site 'professional' if our jobs aren't?

Ridiculous.

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2013, 11:39:04 am »
The core of the problem with Waygook, though, is that Arsalan wants it to be a 'professional site'.

Any idiot with two eyes who scrolls through Waygook posts can see the amount of unprofessional behaviour we have to put up with -- from our CoTs, principals, and schools. Our jobs here (for many of us, not all, but many) are anything but professional.

Ridiculous.
True.

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 12:04:28 pm »

Ridiculous.

I don't understand this argument.
"The people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."  Steve Jobs

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 12:21:02 pm »

Ridiculous.

I don't understand this argument.

Me too.  This argument is illogical. 

Being professional is always a choice for any job.  This website supports many different users--some use it to gab and some use it as a tool.  There have to be some rules or every thread would quickly result in name-calling.

Of course there are some who wish this was the case because they're very negative people who like to troll--it makes them feel involved for mixing it up when in the day-to-day world they don't have much.

Police officers deal with criminals all the time--why don't they act like the people they deal with?  Because that's not what they were hired to do.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 01:30:30 pm »
Being professional is a stupid choice if your coworkers and your boss/principal are unprofessional.

You may feel more awesome about yourself for trying to be professional, but in the end, your job isn't, so why pretend that you can make it professional? Just be yourself and accept the job for what is it: a cash cow. Drop the fake status. We don't work for Siemens or Johnson & Johnson or Google, we work for principals who get up at staff dinners, wink at the younger female teachers, and tell everyone that the soju they're drinking is 'good for stamina'.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 01:47:58 pm »
tell me which mod did me in

But why? Nothing good can come from this.

So you can build a personal resentment towards that one mod? So you can attack and harass with full "confidence"? You would only take it personally if you knew who moderated you.

Protecting mods anonymity allows them to moderate without fear of backlash.  I'd hate to receive protest e-mails for every moderation made. And I'm sure some users would be more than happy to send a few extra emails. I mean look how personally you are taking it, you are getting upset over a website.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 03:07:15 pm »
Umm... it's just a website...

Amazing how serious some people take this.

Life tip: Don't waste too much time on an internet forum and don't take anybody on it seriously. Waygook, Dave's, or most other forums are not a true reflection of Korea, EFL, or reality.

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:06:24 pm »
Being professional is a stupid choice if your coworkers and your boss/principal are unprofessional.

You may feel more awesome about yourself for trying to be professional, but in the end, your job isn't, so why pretend that you can make it professional? Just be yourself and accept the job for what is it: a cash cow. Drop the fake status. We don't work for Siemens or Johnson & Johnson or Google, we work for principals who get up at staff dinners, wink at the younger female teachers, and tell everyone that the soju they're drinking is 'good for stamina'.

I've had so many jobs and whenever I have an unprofessional boss or incompetent coworkers (too many to count) I just f**k around too because, you know, the job was just about my paycheck--만이 sarcasm.

I'm a teacher here, there or anywhere and I still need a LOR and good relations with staff I work with for references and just to show I'm a decent guy.  Just like any job--it's not to feel awesome about myself. 

I'm pretty sure the corp.'s you listed above have too many a**holes to count (often including the top dogs who are doing their secretaries while they steal from the co.) so this is a weak argument.

And naming Siemens, Johnson & Johnson and Google might just be a Freudian slip telling us you're reaching out (no pun intended) for some lovin!
:P

• JahRhythm
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• May 25, 2011, 12:49:41 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 07:15:53 pm »
The number of users affected by mod actions are a tiny minority of total users.
It's funny how serious some people can take themselves and an Internet forum.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 08:24:47 pm by JahRhythm »
We teach EFL not ESL. Hagwon and "Private School" are not synonymous. Not everyone works in either a hagwon or public school. Immigration Question? Call 1345.

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 08:11:08 pm »
Really.. are you gonna let a few nonsensical posts on a free forum ruin your day or affect your mood?  Mods openly state that they don't monitor all posts/threads.  Why?  Because they have better things to do than sit on waygook all day expressing every thought that comes into their heads.  It seems like you have nothing better to do than sit at a computer glued to this site.  Maybe you should make friends or get out more. 

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 10:00:00 pm »
Bye.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2013, 06:54:17 am »

I've had so many jobs and whenever I have an unprofessional boss or incompetent coworkers (too many to count) I just f**k around too because, you know, the job was just about my paycheck--만이 sarcasm.

I'm a teacher here, there or anywhere and I still need a LOR and good relations with staff I work with for references and just to show I'm a decent guy.  Just like any job--it's not to feel awesome about myself. 

I'm pretty sure the corp.'s you listed above have too many a**holes to count (often including the top dogs who are doing their secretaries while they steal from the co.) so this is a weak argument.

And naming Siemens, Johnson & Johnson and Google might just be a Freudian slip telling us you're reaching out (no pun intended) for some lovin!

You're right jenglish, this job is just like any other. Just as professional as any other.

:undecided:    :laugh:

You are a smart guy (and a real teacher!  :shocked: ). Good luck in life as you continue with your illustrious, professional career in ESL.

• jenglish
  • Super Waygook

• Gwangju Elementary
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2013, 07:12:03 am »

You're right jenglish, this job is just like any other. Just as professional as any other.

:undecided:    :laugh:

You are a smart guy (and a real teacher!  :shocked: ). Good luck in life as you continue with your illustrious, professional career in ESL.

Run away from this Waygook junk. It is beneath you. Unless of course you like it. In which case, I feel sorry for you.

Your own words.  Bye!