Read 9634 times

"Reasons" for resigning in contract?
« on: January 05, 2013, 09:47:42 am »
I plan to resign from my contract in EPIK,, giving two months notice as the contract allows.

In the contract it says I must write a resignation letter to the head Superisor in the OofE and also the Principal. Firstly I'm not sure what a resignation letter needs in it generally but I particularly am wondering why I have to give "reasons". The truth is I have a bad working environment and as I don't owe anyone anything at my school wish to do what's best for me and leave and start a studyroom. however I don't really want to tell them just in case it has any negative influence when I come to going to the Education Office to register and also wondering if my "reasons" are not good enough they won't accept my resignation?

Anyone have experience in this, I would prefer to put something general like leaving to further my education etc but will they ask for proof for whatever reason I give????
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 09:49:56 am by bowmansbrain »

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
Re: "Reasons" for resigning in contract?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:24:35 pm »
This might be Korea but this is still a job.  The same reason you give a 2 week notice in whatever country you're from. . Also if the school has a pattern of this, they will not be allowed a NET.  Remember, we are not only teachers but cultural ambassadors. 

When a NET leaves early, the school loses face.  Also we're very expensive.

Say this, I'm glad that I was given this opportunity but ...... make it sound positive. Even if they don't accept your letter or resignation you can still leave.  This is a job, you have free will. Also if they don't, call labor board or immigration cause they will cancel your visa. Hence you need to get a D10 Visa.

Think of the resignation as an exit interview.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 05:29:19 pm by money55 »

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 06:37:56 pm »
They said you need to give reasons?  Anyways, it's just formalities and bureaucracy.  Just say you have something else to move on to.  Don't write negative things; it could make your exit less pleasant than it needs to be.  They won't ask for proof; they have no grounds to.  There's nothing saying they can deny your resignation.

Try this:

Dear Supervisor/Principal,

I regret to inform you that I am resigning from my position as Guest English Teacher at X School.  I am leaving because I have plans to engage in another endeavor.  Thank you for your support during my employment period.

Sincerely,

bowmansbrain
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 08:31:13 pm »
Absolutely.  No need to go into any detail, just facts about when you will leave.

You could say you have been given a fantastic opportunity that you can not afford to miss, etc. etc.

This is exactly how you should do it in any job.

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 01:39:38 am »
Thanks for the advice though a few things aren't exactly understood. What I was wondering is if the reasons you give as the contract states are judged as valid or not for a resignation or not. Example, leaving to start an education course might be valid but leaving because you vaguely want to do something else might not be.

A few things if you read my other posts you will know I have no visa issue related to my job and I have a complete legal right to leave my job and yes if my school in anyway looks bad then I guess they should of worried about that before they started acting like jerks. I've done 5 years of loyal work in PS in Korea and have generally been well treated but sometimes you got to call a spade a spade and call people out of their behavior, so I lost any sense of owing anything to my school. This whole we are Ambassadors BS needs to stop now that we are not treated like we are on a cultural exchange in Korea anymore but are a cheap way to get native teachers for their kids and will be pulled up on contract now far more than in past years. Vacations have shrunk and duties have increased and wages have been frozen in the last few years as unemployment in the West has increased. My point is Korea has turned the screw as soon as it had the power to do so and so the whole we are Ambassadors thing I call out as BS. We are paid employees and so we must do our jobs and also can without guilt follow our contract and resign if it is in our best interest. I don't want to be negative but if anyone has any doubt about the situation I will spell it out For you. The only reason we are in Public school is because parents and those outside the schools deemed schools to be failing in teaching english to their kids, even if teachers are welcoming and yes some might even want to know you and date you, we are not wanted by teachers anymore than conversation teachers are wanted and that is why our teaching has been sabotaged so much and crippled by the teachers here. My point is they didn't want us to succeed, it just wasn't in the best interests of their profession. Good got that off my chest.

Actually leaving without giving notice does penalize us and we may have to pay back money if we don't give notice of two months as far as I understand.

Thanks for the example resignation letter, it helps, but maybe I need to be more specific?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:51:06 am by bowmansbrain »

• money55
  • Super Waygook

• July 05, 2011, 02:12:38 pm
    • south korea
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:45:12 am »
I wasn't trying to give you a guilt trip.  Look, I understand Gepik went from being paid at 18th to 25th  and their cutting hs/ms programs

It doesn't need to be more specific, it's a resignation letter.

Dear so and so

This has been a wonderful opportunity but I'm leaving X school to pursue other endeavors.

Dear so and so,

« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:52:26 am by money55 »

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 01:55:59 am »
I wasn't trying to give you a guilt trip.  Look, I understand Gepik went from being paid at 18th to 25th  and their cutting hs/ms programs

It doesn't need to be more specific, it's a resignation letter.

Dear so and so

This has been a wonderful opportunity but I'm leaving X school to pursue other endeavors.

Dear so and so,

Wasn't directed at you more a general point about where we stand here in Korea, essentially we are paid employees and have paid employee rights, that's it. I could be a jerk and just leave but that might penalize me, be unprofessional and not allow the school to get another teacher. Essentially Im just following my contract just like I have been told countless times I must follow when any issue of camps etc came up. And anyway schools don't worry anymore about getting another one of us....
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 01:59:09 am by bowmansbrain »

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 04:03:33 am »
essentially we are paid employees and have paid employee rights, that's it.

I'm curious. . .what rights were you expecting us to have?

I also have to disagree with your idea that Korean English teachers are out to get us.  While this may be true of some teachers, it's really not fair to tar the entire profession with the same brush.  I don't think the majority of teachers are trying to "sabotage" us or "cripple" us - there is simply not a system set up where Korean English teachers are taught how to effectively utilize native teachers in the classroom.  It is what it is.

As far as valid reasons for your resignation. . .well, valid is kind of subjective, right?  I'm sure for some Korean administrators/teaching staff, there is NO valid reason to resign from a perfectly good teaching position in the land of the morning calm.  Just resign.  You don't even need to give a reason (although it is generally more polite to do so).

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 07:21:46 am »
I have a strong feeling that the reason doesn't rally matter. The administration probably asked you because they have a form to fill out and there's a blank space on the form asking for the reason.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:27:26 am »
I don't think the majority of teachers are trying to "sabotage" us or "cripple" us

I agree. They're not trying to sabotage you bc they think about you less than 1% of the time you think about them. You're not on their radar, a little fly to them, meaningless.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 10:04:21 am »

I also have to disagree with your idea that Korean English teachers are out to get us.  While this may be true of some teachers, it's really not fair to tar the entire profession with the same brush.  I don't think the majority of teachers are trying to "sabotage" us or "cripple" us - there is simply not a system set up where Korean English teachers are taught how to effectively utilize native teachers in the classroom.  It is what it is.

As far as valid reasons for your resignation. . .well, valid is kind of subjective, right?  I'm sure for some Korean administrators/teaching staff, there is NO valid reason to resign from a perfectly good teaching position in the land of the morning calm.  Just resign.  You don't even need to give a reason (although it is generally more polite to do so).

he question is not rights I think I have but more what obligations do many think we have beyond normal employment. Since when did someone while treated poorly for example from MCDonalds have to answer to people saying dude your an ambassador, think of all the children your letting down by not serving burgers. Now fill in the blanks with native teachers....

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 10:06:00 am »
I have a strong feeling that the reason doesn't rally matter. The administration probably asked you because they have a form to fill out and there's a blank space on the form asking for the reason.

Hope so too, as I have never resigned a job in many years of work so I'm clueless to how it works. But it is in the contract so I cautious.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:11:03 am »
What exactly is your point?

Write the letter.  Thank them for the opportunity to work here.  Give a non-specific but positive reason for leaving.  Specify the date (two months hence).  Print three copies (one for school, one for Ed. Office, one for you).  Present the letters.  Prepare to leave.

Why is all this hand-wringing and soul-searching necessary?

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:18 am »

My friend I didn't say all teachers are out to sabotage you, I said we are ultimately an unwelcome but accepted part of schools by the teaching profession. There are plans as soon as they think we can be removed my Korean teachers we will. Maybe your not up on current events in Korean public school but I can tell you there is a war against conversation teachers as qualified teachers hate the fact the government is bringing in in qualified teachers. The only reason we are not treated in such disdain is we are ultimately not seen as a threat to teacher unions as we are temporary and so not taken seriously.

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 10:13:47 am »
What exactly is your point?

Write the letter.  Thank them for the opportunity to work here.  Give a non-specific but positive reason for leaving.  Specify the date (two months hence).  Print three copies (one for school, one for Ed. Office, one for you).  Present the letters.  Prepare to leave.

Why is all this hand-wringing and soul-searching necessary?

It's a forum and people ask questions on forums to get the real facts, not opinions, and yes when they get replies it seems fitting to reply to them.

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 10:47:29 am »

My friend I didn't say all teachers are out to sabotage you, I said we are ultimately an unwelcome but accepted part of schools by the teaching profession.

The only reason we are in Public school is because parents and those outside the schools deemed schools to be failing in teaching english to their kids, even if teachers are welcoming and yes some might even want to know you and date you, we are not wanted by teachers anymore than conversation teachers are wanted and that is why our teaching has been sabotaged so much and crippled by the teachers here.

My friend, I believe it was pretty heavily implied somewhere in that great mish-mash of words.

• TeachaTeacha
  • Expert Waygook

• September 06, 2012, 03:27:09 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 11:18:07 am »
You're thinking way too hard about this.

They don't care about your reason, they just need to fill out the forms. I would bet that no one is going to read your reasons and most definitely won't be checking up on you after you leave to ensure that your reasons were truthful. If you aren't happy with your job, give your notice, be polite and courteous, and be on your way.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 02:03:03 pm »
You're thinking way too hard about this.
Yes. Have fun with it, OP. Find the most obscure English words still in use and use them to write a sentence on why you're resigning. They won't read it. On the off-chance they do, they won't understand it. When they don't understand it, they'll be too embarrassed to ask you what it really means (face-saving). So, it's a win/win.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• namerae
  • Featured Contributor

• September 26, 2011, 09:38:41 am
    • Anyang, South Korea
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 04:03:36 pm »
VizionMC, please stay on topic. Name-calling is against the TOS, even if you bleep out curse words. Take it to PM if you want to have a "discussion" of this kind of nature.

I personally agree with Jrong's advice, OP. If you feel that there are some serious issues with coworkers going on and you're backed up to the wall, use convoluted English with lots of big words and obscure/unusual sentence structure. It's more than likely that they want the blank filled and could care less for your reason.

• kevin76
  • Veteran

• August 28, 2012, 06:35:01 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 05:28:07 pm »

Exactly man! Just write a nice long-winded thank you but I'm outta here letter.
Don't worry about anything. I presume this is not a life-long career choice for you, so why worry?
Do what it says in your contract. Give the 2 months notice. Be polite but formal.
Use your common sense. And move on...Simple as that!

By the way this cultural ambassador thing is getting annoying to read about. We are not cultural ambassadors we are paid employees. When foreign workers are brought into any other country they are not told they are cultural ambassadors representing their country. That was said to us because of the types of people that were previously employed here did. They partied and took the piss (not all but obviously enough to warrant this line of tripe!) and fair play to them. They probably took it as seriously as we are taken. The only people who are taken in by such nonsense are those who never have never travelled before and have just climbed out of their mother's womb because no adult would actually take that kind of crap seriously. Neither should anyone here. Do your job, don't mess any of the locals over or the kids in your school. Be polite and mannerly just like you would back home.

Man, like I said, and others like Jrong and the Mod said, give your notice, use Orwellian language and keep it as vague as possible but throw in the "thank you so much for this valuable experience" etc and leave...

Best of luck man and hope it all works out for you!

Peace.