Read 1099 times

Public school in GEPIK or hagwon in Seoul?
« on: January 04, 2013, 09:04:59 am »
I've read a lot of posts about folks distraught over not being able to get a job in central Seoul, as well as folks upset over not finding a public school job in GEPIK.

What if you had the ability to take either one? Which would you take and why?

I've worked in both types of schools, though I've never lived in the big city. 

Is living in central Seoul really worth it?
Is public school that much better than a hagwon?
(Would you consider a well researched hagwon to still be a risk?)
(Would you be frustrated at having to travel into the city if that's where you spent a lot of your free time?) 

Thoughts and advice are much appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 09:35:22 am by scotchandderby »

Re: Public school in Gyeonggi-do or hagwon in Seoul?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 09:17:54 am »

Is living in central Seoul really worth it? Not in my opinion, but it depends where in Seoul you will be living and what kind of apartment you will get.

Is public school that much better than a hagwon? in most cases, yes. I worked in a pretty good hogwon and now work in a pretty good school. I way prefer the school. but again you might be unlucky and get a bad school or bad co-teachers

Would you consider a well researched hagwon to still be a risk? Hogwons can chage quite quickely the one I worked in was great when I was there but a few months after it was hit by the law that restricts teaching past 10pm and started working their teachers quite a lot harder.

Would you be frustrated at having to travel into the city if that's where you spent a lot of your free time? Again it depends on where you are in Gyeonggi do. Some plases are only 30 mins to hongdae or other areas.

At the tend of the day there it depends on a lot of different factors. I dont really want to live in Seoul because I live in a pretty decent sized city just outside Seoul. I am also close to other cities and the transport system is so good that I'm closer to some areas of Seoul that I meet my friends, then some of the ones who actually live in Seoul.

Realy depends on what you want and what is important for you.