Read 30304 times

• IslandGook
  • Veteran

• April 19, 2011, 04:18:49 pm
    • Jindo Island
Re: Ohhhhhh very handsome! STOP IT I know you're lying
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2011, 11:11:05 am »
Small face is good!

I've just been at my school for three days now, and the amount of handsomes is amazing.  The local head of the education office even told me that I was handsome and looked like his favorite French actor (though I didn't catch the name). 

My general impression is also that they aren't being insincere.  They just have a standard that is biased toward northern european physical ideals, and if you have some of thos traits, they think you are attractive.  I'm a tallish (for Korea), pale guy with a healthy romanesque nose, and apparently that goes over well here. 

I'm not going to complain about hearing complements all day.  I get the chopsticks one every lunchtime too.  I'm pretty good for an American, but some of my teachers definitely have mad skills compared to me (stacking individual rice grains before eating the last bite comes to mind).  It's nice of them to notice and encourage my attempts to fit in, is the way I see it, so I'm happy to thank them and note their kindness.  :)

Have you noticed Koreans preoccupation with appearances?
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2012, 01:55:21 am »
I am half-Korean and half-Caucasian and just starting teaching middle school (having an amazing time, btw). And the kids make so many comments about my looks. "pretty face" "small face" "nose so high"

The vice principal said that all the parents are pleased because the new teacher is "young and pretty." I am not use to hearing these comments so much back in the U.S.A. I'm just curious if anyone else has had similar experiences?

• Brian
  • Featured Contributor

• September 19, 2006, 01:07:56 pm
    • Pittsburgh / Jeollanam-do
Re: Have you noticed Koreans preoccupation with appearances?
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2012, 04:26:33 am »
Yes:

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,8771.0.html

http://waygook.org/index.php/topic,4870.0.html

Everyone has those experiences.  You are either handsome with a small face, or are too fat, and you hear about it.  On the one hand I appreciate the honesty and bluntness, but it can be unnerving for people not used to it, or when people can't move beyond comments on appearance.   
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 04:35:18 am by Brian »
In Korea from 2005 - 2010, not in Korea now.  Please contact an active moderator for quick answers to your questions.

Current project: http://www.pennsylvasia.com/

« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:55 am »
yes.
Actually, the deeply rooted confucianism within the society takes a huge part on  how koreans consider appearances important.
They were brought up thinking that its good to compliment and talk about the appereance. However it won't mean they'll say "you'r ugly" when she/he is not attractable.
When they say you are pretty, they really mean you are pretty.
at least they are honest about it!

« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2012, 09:59:52 am »
The students are just really kind to me and bring me candies and visit me in between classes. The middle school boys all hang out around my office waiting for me to come out. Their faces turn so red when I approach them in the classroom too, but that may be because they don't want to speak English lol. At lunch time I get 5-8 marriage proposals from 12 year olds.

Taxi drivers, random people on the subway complement me. One old Korean guy was staring at me for the longest time then he finally asked "are you korean?" Then i told him in Korean that my mom is korean and my dad is american and he was so pleased that I could speak korean and told me how pretty my face is.

I'm not complaining! I was just not expecting this kind of treatment...lol

• woman-king
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 18, 2010, 03:56:29 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2012, 10:04:48 am »
The students are just really kind to me and bring me candies and visit me in between classes. The middle school boys all hang out around my office waiting for me to come out. Their faces turn so red when I approach them in the classroom too, but that may be because they don't want to speak English lol. At lunch time I get 5-8 marriage proposals from 12 year olds.

Taxi drivers, random people on the subway complement me. One old Korean guy was staring at me for the longest time then he finally asked "are you korean?" Then i told him in Korean that my mom is korean and my dad is american and he was so pleased that I could speak korean and told me how pretty my face is.

I'm not complaining! I was just not expecting this kind of treatment...lol

Yeah, it's really common.  You might be especially fascinating them because you look more similar to them, in some ways, than most Westerners and yet you also look Western.  The distinction in Korea between Koreans and non-Koreans is very strong, in my experience, so someone who blurs those lines is going to attract a lot of interest. 

• aiden
  • Adventurer

• February 25, 2011, 03:04:47 pm
    • SOUTH KOREA
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2012, 10:59:25 am »
I'm 37 years old, and havn't recieved many "handsomes", in the year I have been here. Is it my age, or that I am butt-ugly? Keeps me up at nights... :'(

« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2012, 04:35:05 pm »
imagine how cool they would think of a half cacausian half asian..
For the koreans, you having the asian part makes them psychologically connect with you (making them think you are one of them), but you having the caucasian looks which the girls here all strive to have through plastic surgery is something of a curious yet envious thing for them.

No wonder every body says you are pretty.

• incognito84
  • Veteran

• September 01, 2008, 01:51:25 pm
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2012, 11:20:36 pm »
I gained about 10 pounds in the past few years. I'm up to about 170lbs and I'm 5'11" tall (I'm a guy), so I don't think I'm that heavy.

My students call me fat pretty regularly, then the next day they'll tell me I'm thin. Some have actually said that I look like I've lost about 0.5kgs lately (how do they even see this?)

Anyway, if I ask my foreign friends if I'm fat they just laugh in my face and tell me I'm anything but. 

• steven1080
  • Veteran

• September 02, 2011, 08:57:52 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #109 on: March 30, 2012, 09:02:17 am »
Most of my students call my handsome or cutie.
Adults I meet do the same thing.
I have black hair and I spend alot of time outdoors so I am  tan.
This means I must really be amazingly handsome  :)
It feels nice to be appreciated for having such a fine appearance.
I usually respond with Yes, I know or just smile.
Some minutes later I will say something nice about that them.

« Reply #110 on: March 30, 2012, 01:29:55 pm »
I get 'you are handsome' pretty much every day... I think I average about 15 per day... if I get a new sweater, sunglasses, jacket, hat, haircut etc... it goes up to about 25. Just on the walk from my last class to my office right now I got it about 4 times.

I think it mostly just means that they like you, which isn't at all a bad thing.... but it's not really something that you should be getting a swollen head over.