Read 22130 times

Re: Dress code for female teachers
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »
So I know you want to "inform newbies" about "obtaining employment in a profession" but you'd be wrong about this job.

Your whole post is combative and filled with assumption. I am not wrong about this job but I am not interested in getting into a war of words or can you trump this. My words of advice are just that. You do not like them then it is your loss.

Alright, I agree. That was overkill. But let's be honest, the majority of teacher's pretty much get how they should dress here in terms of professionalism.

So to those of you giving personal opinions on modesty standards, it's not really that different here so those are just your opinions. We're all adults so telling women what is and isn't modest, especially from the guys, feels a little like church camp.

« Reply #61 on: August 20, 2013, 03:16:48 pm »
There are plenty of responses, but to throw it in for the new recruits:

I work in Seoul at a pretty large school, and I've never been given a note or a nudge on what I should or should not wear.  Maybe it's because it's a large school, but I've seen all manner of dress: lots of exposed toes in sandals, lots of short skirts, plenty of sleeveless dresses, and regular jeans, windbreaker pants, t-shirts and the like.

Consensus gathered from about 15 other native teachers in SMOE schools:

-Korean women are allowed to wear shorter skirts that you.  What's appropriate on them isn't appropriate on you, if you have any kind of curve (I don't mean "curvy" either, I mean any kind of curve- my Perfect 10, 120 pound friends have this problem).

-Keep a cardigan or thin sweater in your desk for those days when you were totally sure what you were wearing was appropriate until someone looked at you for 3 seconds too long and you panic and want to cover even more skin.

-There is no method too cheesy for pushing up a neckline.  Wearing an awkward tank top underneath, pulled to your chin, is totally cool.  Wearing a sweater with only the top button buttoned is totally cool.  Wearing a scarf tucked into your shirt is totally cool. 

-It's too hot for pants in the summer.  About half can wear shorts, half can't.  Knee-length skirts for the win. If you're not uncomfortable in skirts and dresses, this is a good item to pack since you can make them warmer or cooler with accessories.

Oh, and I don't change into slippers, but I wish I'd thought of it before I came: get a pair of black or white Toms and make those your school slippers. They look a lot like what some people wear, plus they're comfy, not ridiculous looking, and when the school year's over, you can make them outside shoes.  Plus, when you wear them home on accident (I see this FB status once a week), you won't look like a complete n00b.

« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2013, 07:57:30 am »

the majority of teacher's pretty much get how they should dress here in terms of professionalism.

Judging from what I have seen at an orientation and the reports I have read about westerners and their dress, I disagree.

We're all adults so telling women what is and isn't modest, especially from the guys, feels a little like church camp.

Did you ever consider that church camp may be right?  Women really do not have to worry about what they wear (not talking immodest dress here). Thy could go down the street in burlap sacks and they will still get both wanted and unwanted attention.

But you are talking about a profession that educates children to adults and there is a different standard whether the native people adhere to it or not.  I do not look at what my Korean counterparts wear to gauge how I dress. I dress the way according to how I want to look and be respectful to the culture I am in and the people I am associated with.

• trex
  • Waygookin

• October 22, 2012, 06:38:43 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2013, 06:40:02 pm »
Those church ladies are hussies, showing their knees and elbows. Truly modest women don't show any leg or bare arms. Do you see what I just did there dangjin?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:41:48 pm by trex »

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2013, 04:32:48 am »
It is very simple, there are two dress codes for female teachers. Korean teachers can wear what they like, as revealing as they want and it is ok. Foreign teachers, if you wear anything that shows skin around the neck or shoulder area and your skirts are shorter than knee length then you are sluts.

There you go. So dress like a foreigner is expected to.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

« Reply #65 on: August 22, 2013, 08:28:09 am »

• grajoker
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 09:02:27 am
    • yeoju korea
« Reply #66 on: August 22, 2013, 08:31:08 am »
simply dress modestly ; and not like you are trying to seduce the male colleagues or students.

« Reply #67 on: August 22, 2013, 08:35:43 am »

Do you see what I just did there dangjin?

No but then I wasn't trying to.

Burkhas are an option I like  ;D

simply dress modestly ; and not like you are trying to seduce the male colleagues or students.

I agree. I personally do not date women who have this need to display al they have to all men. Nice to look at but not the character trait I am looking for in a mate.

• colamberth
  • Waygookin

• September 03, 2017, 01:22:30 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #68 on: October 11, 2019, 08:46:49 am »
in every school ive worked in here you have to change your shoes. not at a hagwon but in public school.

has anyone worn hats to work? not like a baseball cap or anything but like to be honest i'm trying to grow my hair back to its normal color and it looks hideous so I'm wondering if wearing like a beret or something would be considered inappropriate

« Reply #69 on: October 11, 2019, 08:55:18 am »
in every school ive worked in here you have to change your shoes. not at a hagwon but in public school.

has anyone worn hats to work? not like a baseball cap or anything but like to be honest i'm trying to grow my hair back to its normal color and it looks hideous so I'm wondering if wearing like a beret or something would be considered inappropriate

In most cases, it would be, but I imagine how much side-eye you'd get for it would depend on the school and your coworkers. You could ask them.

I think most Koreans just dye their hair their normal color to help with the transition, though.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #70 on: October 11, 2019, 09:38:05 am »

Not sure it would violate any dress code, but wearing a beret would still be totally inappropriate.  Unless you're a mime or it's part of a military uniform there is no instance where a beret is appropriate.  A fedora, however, is always a good look. 

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #71 on: October 11, 2019, 11:52:52 am »

Unless you're a Sikh or Muslim, wearing anything on your head inside the classroom would be highly inappropriate.

Korea is the land of absolutely horrendous dye jobs, so don't feel bad.
If my principal can walk around thinking his new, pitch black hair makes him look like the smoothest operator when in fact he resembles a weathered potato with a doily placed neatly n top of it, then you've nothing to worry about. 

• colamberth
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #72 on: October 11, 2019, 11:55:32 am »
LMAO ok thanks guys.  im trying to get black out of my hair and bleaching is not an option...so i guess ill just deal with the horrible roots

• colamberth
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #73 on: October 11, 2019, 11:57:29 am »
the gym teachers wear like baseball hats here sometimes obviously they are gym teachers  so i guess its different

« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2019, 02:13:20 pm »
I've seen some of my co-teachers wear headbands before... But yeah, no hats....

• CaitV
  • Adventurer

• July 02, 2014, 02:58:38 pm
    • Gyeonngi-do
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2019, 09:47:35 am »
I've worn a beret to work in winter because it gets cold AF in my school and none of my coworkers had any objections. A lot of them complimented it. I think as long as it's like a simple felt beret without any patches or bling you should be fine, but every school has it's own set of rules so probably best to find out your coworkers' opinions first.

« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2019, 10:06:40 am »

One of my co-teachers wears hats all the time. Different styled hats, but everyday she's got one on all day (rumor is she's losing her hair). Again it depends on the school but you could ask you coteachers.

• lhelena
  • Veteran

• March 11, 2018, 01:57:14 pm
    • Anseong
« Reply #77 on: October 15, 2019, 10:23:13 am »
A lot of schools vary in what everyone wears. There's not really a set in stone dress code I think it's more the tone of your school that determines it and of course what's appropriate. My school is kinda all over the place. Some teachers follow a strict business casual look, while others and myself typically wear nice jeans/pants (no holes) and a nice shirt. If there is something special like a meeting or pictures for the grad album like tomorrow we all come in looking our best. Most of the time it's kinda up to how you're feeling. There's definitely a lot of personal style that shines through with younger staff.