Read 7444 times

Re: GEPIK Salary Deductions
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2013, 07:30:48 am »
My job is as an after school teacher at a public school so, other than one day a week at a different school where I teach from the national curriculum, all my classes are after school classes. But overtime is 20,000 per class according to my contract. Basically I'm like a solo hagwon teacher but funded by city hall so I have a ton of extra work to turn in all my lesson plans and testing to prove I'm worth the money. I'm starting to think the money isn't worth it.

• lokiruffin
  • Waygookin

• May 06, 2012, 03:31:30 pm
    • bundang, south korea
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:51 pm »
I'm in the same boat as you, wondering what's with the missing 300,000+/- every month. I just went down and spoke with the school accountant and I got my pay stubs. Here we go (all these numbers are rough rounded to the nearest 1,000):

Health insurance: 66,000
Retirement Long term insurance (something like that, I didn't look up the exact translation): 4,000
Pension: 100,000
Extra Deduction: 30,000 (school and my landlady worked out a deal to take the last 300,000 of my security deposit out of my paycheck over the course of 10 months at 30,000 a pop)
Lunch + Optional School dinners (I signed up for the Guy teacher drinkfests we have every month): 72,000

Total deductions: 276,000 (rounded)

PLUS

Income tax: 30,000
Citizen tax (? I don't know what this is, tax for being Korean even though I'm not): 3,000

33,000 + 276,000 = 309,000

2,000,000 - 309,000 = 1,690,000

Which is exactly how much I earned in December.

Seems everything is in order. I'll need to get on that US Resident form if I want to get these taxes back. So far I've paid a total of 198,000 in taxes. Not much to worry about but I do want it back.

I'm more worried about a conspicuous 1,189,000 taken out of my account on my bank statement due to a CD창구 back in June at 10am on a school day... I don't remember ever taking out that much money, let alone while I was in class...  :huh: :huh: :huh:  Has anyone seen anything like this on their bank statement?

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2013, 02:01:11 pm »
Why are they taking that 30k out every month instead of one chunk?  What does the landlady have to do with it?  The security deposit is held by the school.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• lokiruffin
  • Waygookin

• bundang, south korea
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2013, 02:28:46 pm »
At first I though it was the security deposit... now I think it's just the school dinners/functions, etc. So then I still need to pay a 300,000... Though I remember something my coteacher told me, something like the landlady worked a deal out with the school on the deposit so that I wouldn't be hit with another 300,000 all at once... I dunno...

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2013, 04:25:26 pm »
I got my payslip and it looks about the same as yours, minus the income tax. I thought the income tax would be something huge, like 300,000 won. This kind of puts my mind at ease about them taking it all at once for four months. The main problem with mine is that they didn't properly calculate what my salary actually is. I showed them my contract and they seem to pretty much just take my word for it. They may not agree with me on the two schools thing though.

If the income tax is only about 30,000 a month then the pension seems to be a bigger deal. We'll get the income tax back for two years worth but the pension we don't get back unless we aren't renewing?

• lokiruffin
  • Waygookin

• bundang, south korea
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 04:20:58 pm »
What do you mean they didn't properly calculate your salary? What pay grade are you?

For me, I had earned a TEFL certificate before coming here, and when I finally got here they changed the rules and said that TEFL certificates are mandatory and since I only have the bare minimum of requirements, I will only receive 2 million (nice slip of the hand GEPIK, thanks a lot).

This is just my guess - your pension is linked to your ARC number. When you finally decide to leave, ie let your visa expire (or maybe even just change jobs, like going from GEPIK to a hagwon, I don't know, never done it), you will receive that money.

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 04:39:57 pm »
I'm supposed to get overtime pay and multiple schools bonus. I was mainly worried because I thought that the income tax was way higher than it actually is. I didn't know that it was less than the pension so I got worried when they said they'd take it out all at once because I thought they were already taking it out.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 06:30:17 pm »
A few words of advice to newbies. 

When it deals with your money, make sure everything is clear and  concise, and you know exactly how much you're entitled to and what they're deducting and why they're making deduction.  If you have any questions or doubt in your mind about anything, you should bring it up right away and get it fixed/questions answered.

The first step is understanding your contract.
The second step is getting your pay stub on your first month.
The third step, if in doubt, is asking questions and getting answers until you fully understand.

Saying things like
I dunno...
I thought the income tax would be something huge, like 300,000 won.
I think
will get you screwed at the end.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 11:07:29 pm »
Even though the pension and health insurance are clearly outlined in the contract I can't find anything that definitively says what the income tax is. Some places I've seen say that it is between %3 and %6 and other places higher. Knowing your contract isn't all it takes. That's why I asked the question to begin with.