Read 5977 times

Re: Are you working on New Year's Eve?
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2012, 09:09:47 am »
I think I'm pretty much "guarding" the teachers' office. My main co-teacher has her class but NO other teachers are here. Just the office secretary and she goes in and out of the office. 2 more hours! :D Happy New Year!

• elee09
  • Adventurer

• June 18, 2012, 08:21:01 am
    • Toronto, Ontario
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
Working a full day today with students... I was surprised to discover last week, that this day that is labelled "Winter Vacation" on my schedule is actually a full work day with students. My camp starts on Wednesday.

• tesoljon
  • Expert Waygook

• March 13, 2012, 12:16:12 pm
    • Ansan-si
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 09:53:41 am »
I have classes every day this week except for New Year's Day--that day is actually a holiday.

Camp starts next Monday.

« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 10:45:52 am »
I have classes every day this week except for New Year's Day--that day is actually a holiday.

Me too! This is my first time deskwarming this school year. It's an interesting, aka boring, experience.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 11:19:39 am »
Yeah,... I sometimes do, sometimes don't.

I started my first job in late December 2002 so when I re-signed I asked for a month off to visit back home as a condition of re-signing. The following year I asked for a month off to go to NZ to get my CELTA as a condition of re-signing. The following year I worked it. Since then I've worked it except for the year I had it off to travel to Guam for nearly two weeks, a condition of re-signing.

Next December I'll have it off, as a condition of re-signing, as I plan to travel to Malaysia, Indonesia, Cuba or Jamaica or the like for two weeks in wintertime.

December 31st is not a special day in South Korea, no more so than Christmas Eve. This doesn't mean squat in my classroom though: It's PARTY TIME! We're going to do a year-end quiz game (e.g., who's the new president? what olympic sport did Korean women win most of the golds in? where was expo 2012? etc.), puzzle (english crossword with hints like: "______ Sandy hit New York and killed many people".), and I'm serving sandwiches I'll make right there in the classroom: raspberry and peanut butter, hazelnut and cocoa on bread, and an ol' fav from back home: peanut butter and banana sandwiches! All washed down with hot chocolate with marshmallows. We'll have a mash-up of '12 hits in the background, mostly u.s. billboard stuff, including gangnam style of course. Today will rock!  ;D Gawd I love my job. I have fun, they have fun. I demand they speak and write in English only in my classroom and they comply, happily realizing that they and I want to have fun and edutainment means work hard, play hard.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 12:36:42 pm »
Nope. Held on to some extra vacation time. So I get from Dec 21-Jan 2 all to myself.  :azn:

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 01:15:21 pm »
Nope. Held on to some extra vacation time. So I get from Dec 21-Jan 2 all to myself.  :azn:

And what better way to spend it than posting on waygook and interacting with people that are killing time desk-warming. A worthwhile vacation indeed! Pity that its ending in 2 days. 
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• nzer-in-gyeongnam
  • Moderator - LVL 3

• August 07, 2010, 01:23:29 pm
    • Gyeongnam-do
    more
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 01:56:05 pm »
If by working, you mean coming to work, sitting at my desk, finishing off a lesson plan for next school year, planning my winter camps which only start next week, and then watching the other teachers at school play volleyball and then having a Salgyeopsal (beef) party and then getting ready to leave shortly working on New Years, then yeah. If not, then I don't know... I don't really consider what I'm doing today working, I consider it more fun... but that's a personal call I guess.
"It's better to have tried and failed, than never to have tried at all!"
Teach this to your students... they'll thank you for it later!

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2012, 04:46:39 pm »
I work in a PS after school program so we don't desk warm and we don't vacate. So it's just business as usual unless I have my contracted vacation days. Other than that we are in session pretty much year round.