Read 5628 times

• stronzata
  • Veteran

• September 04, 2012, 07:14:29 pm
    • korea
    more
Re: Taking/stealing cell Phone from korea?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2012, 03:43:51 pm »
stay on topic please. 2/3

What does 2/3 mean? Pardon my ignorance with the lingo
The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen.

• newb
  • Newgookin

• November 20, 2012, 10:38:27 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2012, 04:29:20 pm »
I have 3 Korean credit cards.  Each has 5 million credit line.  I was on E visa when I got them.

How long have you been in the country?

My 5th year.

I have American credit cards with larger credit limits (and I use those because I'd like to maintain my good credit standing) but in Korea, I'm not allowed to get a card with a limit of more than I make in a month, so I've never bothered and just have a check card here. Did the bank allow you to have a credit limit of more than what you make, or do you have an awesome job outside of the EFL industry? Either way, good job!

EDIT: The reason that they do that is so that you can't rack up tens of millions of won in credit card debt then leave the country.

I'm teaching at a PS with top of the scale base pay and lots of OT.  It's soooo convinient and useful to have Korean credit cards for numerous discounts and rebates on purchases.  I'd love to help fellow waygooks out by providing good info about getting Korean credit cards, but will not do it.  It'll just make mess of things as we're all aware that there are some freeloaders who'd just love to take the money and run.
HEY CAN YOU FILL THE OIL AND CHECK THE GAS PLEASE!!!!

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2012, 05:48:28 pm »
So I don't know what all of this talk of going to prison is. My situation is a bit different.

I got a smart phone for free which was nice and they put me on a really nice plan. At the time they told me to just bail on the contract and not cancel it when I leave. I just did as they instructed. I brought in a few other foreigners and they did the exact same thing... except they never left Korea.

When I went to Japan to teach I took my cell phone with me. I paid on it for a few months as I had some money in my Korean bank account.

When I came back to Korea I paid some penalty fees because I was not making monthly payments for quite awhile, and then they asked if I'd like to start it up again, I said sure.

You seem to be making a lot of something out of nothing. I am not a registered phone offender on my ARC. I did not go to prison. In fact when I walked into the store everyone referred to me by my first name and was super polite and talkative and cleared everything up with me.

This conversation reminds me of the Nickelodeon show "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" 

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 07:50:40 pm »
So I don't know what all of this talk of going to prison is. My situation is a bit different.

I got a smart phone for free which was nice and they put me on a really nice plan. At the time they told me to just bail on the contract and not cancel it when I leave. I just did as they instructed. I brought in a few other foreigners and they did the exact same thing... except they never left Korea.

When I went to Japan to teach I took my cell phone with me. I paid on it for a few months as I had some money in my Korean bank account.

When I came back to Korea I paid some penalty fees because I was not making monthly payments for quite awhile, and then they asked if I'd like to start it up again, I said sure.

You seem to be making a lot of something out of nothing. I am not a registered phone offender on my ARC. I did not go to prison. In fact when I walked into the store everyone referred to me by my first name and was super polite and talkative and cleared everything up with me.

This conversation reminds me of the Nickelodeon show "Are you Afraid of the Dark?"

This is what I was told when I leave Korea, I got informed to just "bail" and not worry about it, but I'd feel bad doing that so I'd either pay of what is left or transfer.

"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2012, 11:29:24 am »
Guys, the prison thing was a joke. Get it? Please read more carefully.

But you see, it wasn't, because he continued his "joke" here.

Waygooks don't get as much sympathy as Koreans do in Korean court.  They slap on the maximum sentence.

Saying things like that on this site is very counter productive. A lot of people who have either just arrived or aren't even here yet use this site. Those poor naive folks have no idea what to expect. Loading this site with false information won't do anybody any good.

Now I'm not all "the internet is srs bnz guys!!!", and I like a good joke. But jokes are meant to make people laugh, not give false information into scaring people.

Anywhose, this thread has been derailed beyond saving, thanks to a "joke".

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »

Anywhose, this thread has been derailed beyond saving, thanks to a "joke".

You mean it wasn't a joke to start with?  The topic was "Taking/stealing cell Phone from Korea?".  That was for real?