Read 1584 times

Advice: Switching from Gepik PS to University
« on: December 27, 2012, 01:57:12 pm »
Hello everyone!

So, I've done a significant amount of research on this topic but would like to fish for some extra advice.

I am leaving my current Gepik position (yes I'm resigning early) for a university position. I do not want to go into detail regarding the reasons for my resignation nor am I interested in any unnecessary guilt trips. This decision I have made is already final and I had put a lot of time and thought into it.

What I'm looking for is constructive advice for the canceling/re-issuing of my E2 visa. I already know that I will not get a letter of release (so a D10 is out). I know that my school must cancel my visa and I will have to do a visa run to Japan once my new visa issue number is good to go. I have all my documents together.

I have called immigration and they say that the school cannot cancel my visa until my last day. My concern is that my current school might be slow on that paperwork, thus stalling my new E2 process. I don't think an extra Japan run after my last day to cancel my visa 'manually' will be any quicker?

So my primary concern: TIME. I'm worried about my university having sufficient time to apply for my visa issue number. I have the month of February for all of this to shake out properly. I am aware that people do this jump and would love some advice on the timing regarding this change.

Constructive advice only please. I've already handed in my resignation and even supplied a possible replacement - the school seems to be taking it in stride and been understanding (as has my recruiter).

  • taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

    • 5507

    • September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Advice: Switching from Gepik PS to University
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 02:25:48 pm »
sounds like you have it figured out already. what advice do you need exactly?
use google to search the site XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

  • TeacherS
  • Waygookin

    • 10

    • October 20, 2012, 11:38:17 am
    • Gumi City
Re: Advice: Switching from Gepik PS to University
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:43:36 pm »
I did a Visa run in November. I went to Japan on the 14th, went to the embassy on the 15th, and got my E2 Visa on the 16th. I am Canadian if it makes a difference...

Re: Advice: Switching from Gepik PS to University
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:09:09 pm »
just be aware that even though your school should 'cancel' your visa I know of a few cases where the schools didn't cancel the visa and as the person had already left the country it was a ballache for them to come back, cancel their own visa and then get the paperwork processed.

However, the cases I'm talking about were hagwons. Not sure how it works for PS.