Read 1997 times

• jille86
  • Adventurer

• April 15, 2010, 12:50:40 pm
    • Korea
Shipping/Flying Bikes
« on: February 17, 2011, 11:16:09 am »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a bike from Korea to Canada.
Before you say "sell it!", I paid a lot of money for it, and would therefore prefer to take it home rather than losing money selling it and buying another back home.

I'll already be travelling with 2 (very heavy!) checked bags plus a snowboard and possibly a dog, so taking it on the plane is not realistic.

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

Re: Shipping/Flying Bikes
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 12:03:57 pm »
If you can break it down and box the parts, ship it via cargo with some insurance on it to make sure it gets there.  It takes about 3months but will be a lot cheaper than paying for extra baggage on the plane...not to mention easier when you are hauling yourself to the airport!

Good luck!

• jille86
  • Adventurer

• April 15, 2010, 12:50:40 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:58:35 pm »
THANK YOU!! ^^

• GEK
  • Veteran

• January 20, 2011, 09:29:56 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:48:49 am »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows the best way to get a bike from Korea to Canada.
Before you say "sell it!", I paid a lot of money for it, and would therefore prefer to take it home rather than losing money selling it and buying another back home.

I'll already be travelling with 2 (very heavy!) checked bags plus a snowboard and possibly a dog, so taking it on the plane is not realistic.

Any suggestions are appreciated! :)

I don't know why the cost was so high, but when I priced shipping my bike from the states to Korea, the cost was around $500. 

If you box it, you can check it on the plane for free!  I payed an extra $50 dollars for an extra checked bag on Korean Air and check my bike (Pro-Flex tourer).  If you've invested more than $2000 in your bike, you should check it, IMO.  Put your snowboard in a box and slow boat it. 

North American domestic flights may be more and my experience was a few years ago. 

• jdniii
  • Veteran

• April 25, 2010, 08:21:52 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 08:24:57 am »
There are two good options that I know of.  I bought my bike on a trip to Japan and brought it back via Asiana Air free of charge.  You can stop by any decent bike shop and ask them for a bike box.  I took apart the major pieces of the bike and boxed them up and use the box as my checked luggage.  I heard there is an extra charge if its a bike so during the check-in process I just told them, "it's not a bike, just parts to build a bike".  :) In your case you could just pay extra money for one of your bags and use your bike as checked luggage.

When shipping internationally you can always ship via boat. It takes about 2 months but it's incredibly cheap.  I sent about 50 lbs. worth of clothes to the US and it was about 30,000 won. 

Good luck

• weezy
  • Waygookin

• October 29, 2010, 11:28:33 am
    • Masan, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 09:41:48 am »
when you ship, do you just use Korea Post?

I did that my first year and it was pretty cheap and it took about 2 months.

Are there cheaper shipping options out there?

thanks!

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 09:53:17 am »
if someone tries to charge you for a bike box, just go to another store. you should be able to get them for free.