Read 2658 times

• lampard
  • Newgookin

• December 25, 2012, 05:34:03 am
How do you get an F4 visa?
« on: December 25, 2012, 07:27:12 am »
Is it possible to get the visa before you get accepted into a teaching contract etc?
I was born in Korea, which makes it a bit more complicated than others  and my name is registered on the Korean Family register so I can't apply for a E-2 visa.
I have a foreign passport and I'm not a korean citizen btw.
Can someone kindly tell me how I can go about getting an F4 visa?  Do you have to be in Korea to get one?

• smun50
  • Veteran

• March 23, 2012, 10:08:24 am
Re: How do you get an F4 visa?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 07:22:17 am »
I believe you have to be in Korea to get one...
They ask you for a copy of your US citizenship certificate (if you have one), not just your passport, so make sure you bring that.

• smmoon3031
  • Adventurer

• September 14, 2012, 07:31:57 am
    • In a cubicle
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 07:43:50 am »
Well, you should call the nearest Korean consulate and ask them. I got my F-4 in the states.

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 08:01:42 am »
Assuming you're not adopted and over 18 years old, you have to denounce your Korean citizenship by having a copy of your family registry. If you're a male you should have done this before you reach 18 years of age so you don't get put into military service when you get to Korea, and if they catch you.

As I understand it, you can only get your family registry in Korea, but you can ask a family member to get a copy for you. I was told in 2010 that either way that I could only do the process in Korea. I wasn't fined for declaring my change of citizenship after the age of 18, but I heard they are supposed to.

I was born in Korea, too, and I came to Korea with an E-2 first. When I went to the immigration in Korea to get the visa I changed my status and got the F-4 visa instead.

• Tilden
  • Explorer

• December 14, 2012, 09:27:39 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:06:45 am »
http://www.koreanconsulate.on.ca/en/?b_id=77&c_id=340&mnu=a02b03

You have to have your name removed from the family register first. If your name is in the book, you're considered a Korean citizen.

You can apply for the visa at your nearest consulate. Better if you can go down there in person. I got mine within a hour.

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:48:25 am »
There are different ways to go about doing this (my experience is only as a naturalized citizen, NOT adopted).
1. Come to Korea and go through the process (pro: very fast, as in get it done that day. Con: you have to come to Korea first, no visa. Also, if you don't speak Korean then.... )
2. Do it in the US through the nearest Korean consulate (pro: they pretty much do everything for you. Speaks English. Con: takes a long time)

F-4 visas have absolutely nothing to do with your job so you can get it any time you want whether you have a job or not. BUT once you are given your visa, you have to be in Korea within 3 months.

I went with option 1 as i had already secured a job and only had a few months before it started.

You will need:
a. copy of your naturalization certificate. (it can be requested if you don't have it, but it will cost money and may take awhile)
b. copy of your previous korean citizenship (called personal registry)
c. copy of your parent's korean citizenship (called family registry)
d. money
e. passport
f. passport-sized photos
g. F-4 Visa form
h. denouncement of Korean citizenship

B and C can be obtained in Korea, and you will get it on the spot, no waiting. If you choose to do it in the states, there is a website you can order it from, but its all in Korean, and it may take awhile. I believe the consulate can help you with this. My local consulate said they could, but i have read other people's experiences where their consulate didn't help at all.

In order to get B and C you will need your Korean social security number. Mine was on my old Korean passport. The process in Korea only took a day. I had to go to the local city hall to get the registries, then head over to the immigration office in Seoul. Took my passport photos in the photo booth at the office, and handed everything in. It was approved on the spot, and i only waited two weeks to get my id card.

[ETA] I did this in February of this year, so that's how recent this info is. Also, if you were born after 1988, you can get dual citizenship, or rather you HAVE to get dual. If you're male, not sure what it means as far as military service goes. This is all I know on that since I was born before 1988 and am female.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 09:52:34 am by stella885 »

• jasminh78
  • Adventurer

• August 29, 2010, 04:30:09 pm
    • korea
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 10:11:49 am »
That's strange.  Did the rules change?

I was born in Korea. I am American citizen (not adopted) but I was able to get E-2 (this was back in 2004) and keep renewing for 3 years without a problem. I don't have E-2 now.

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 03:06:13 pm »
That's strange.  Did the rules change?

I was born in Korea. I am American citizen (not adopted) but I was able to get E-2 (this was back in 2004) and keep renewing for 3 years without a problem. I don't have E-2 now.

You can definitely still get an E2, but there are benefits in getting an F4