Read 10738 times

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
Re: Unprofessional schools.
« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:33 pm »
It could be argued that efficiency can= moral superiority.
It could also be argued that efficiency can= moral inferiority.

But it would be hard to argue that inefficiency =/= stupidity when it comes to the goal of 'competing in development'.

I'm all for the Cuban system. I like what they stand for despite it's many flaws. They are a country that is NOT trying to compete, compete, compete and develop itself rapidly to become a dominator of others. Development in that context isn't competitive but cooperative and self-preserving (given that an antagonistic superpower is just a few miles off their coastline and continues the blockade).

But Korea's different. Korea's all about 'compete, compete, dominate, control the market, let's-show-everyone-how-awesome-we-are'. For a country with that outlook...for them NOT to be efficient is idiotic. Of course you want to be incredibly efficient if your goal is to gain more global power. So everything that is inefficient in their culture (i.e. stupid, bc it does not help their goals) needs to be thrown out and replaced with Western cultural work practices that are efficient. Or they need to chill out on their mad single-minded goal of gaining power. Balance it a little with relational goals.

"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 05:15:37 pm »
Firing via text message is definitely more time efficient than wasting time and doing it in person. Embrace the new wave~! You can also break up with girlfriends via texts and email, too. You guys are living too old school.

Reminds me of how some old school people always insist that you wont get a job unless you submit your resume in person. But the reality is, several companies will not accept any resumes in person. You'll get the, "Please apply online" speech! Similar situation.

No matter the method, the end result is the same. You're fired. Don't be bitter about it, just move on.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 05:35:03 pm by Morticae »

• Frozencat99
  • The Legend

• October 09, 2011, 04:31:36 pm
    more
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 06:15:09 pm »
So you're arguing that this unprofessional firing (the as-of-yet unsubstaniated Korean norm) should be replaced by the more efficient Western standard of face-to-face firing and that not doing so is inefficient and stupid for a country that thrives on competing to become a leading world economy and control significant/dominant market share.

http://www.economywatch.com/economic-statistics/country/Korea/
vs
http://www.economywatch.com/economic-statistics/country/Canada/

Seems the inefficiency is working out well.

Though, I haven't gone in person to hand in a resume in seven years.
Beware the Homosexual Industrial Complex -- http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-june-17-2013/left-behind

You can leave your heterophobia behind.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 06:54:18 pm »
great, Frozen, I needed a short-sighted picture of what 'doing well' means.

Of course, there are no growing societal issues that will come from the pattern of 'respecting the boss's feelings' foremost and running companies by 'feeling' rather than 'logic'. Especially when they have perfect English skills and are dealing with other countries and are like: 'Yeah, the dam is finished, sure everyone can move back into their homes. Woops, it wasn't finished but we knew that and just said it bc it looks good if we did. Woah, you mean hundreds of people just died bc of our image-saving techniques? Oh, no way, crazy'.

No, nothing like a chronic lack of long-term planning here. Naw, Koreans are really good at long-term planning and when things even out all over the world, they'll be way ahead of the game.

:wink:
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd