Read 1550 times

• slim063
  • Explorer

• April 08, 2011, 10:14:45 am
    • korea
question about re-contract
« on: December 24, 2012, 10:19:06 am »
Hi I am working in a middle school under SMOE.
My school wants to renew the contract so I am at a point about to renew the contract but I am not sure if I should or not.
If I do all the medical checkups, police checks, sign the contract and decided to cancel it  in January, what happens? I know i should give them one month notice.
But I am going to definately complete the contract until the end of Feb.
Am I eligible to get the exit allowance and the severance pay?
Or is there some sort of penalty for cancelling the contract?
Waiting for your replies guys! thanks and merry christmas! :)

• tausha12
  • Veteran

• May 03, 2012, 07:24:08 am
    • Dongducheon, South Korea
Re: question about re-contract
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 10:36:34 am »
From what I understand you will be able to get the severance pay for your first year and a ticket back home since you did complete the FIRST contract. If you aren't sure about the second year then why sign? Are you not sure about the school or staying in Korea?  I mean, you still have time to find a new school before your current contract is up in February. I'd go with that instead of signing a contract with your school again.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 10:41:45 am »
if you're already having doubts about renewing, it's best to let your school know so they can begin the process to find a replacement ASAP. as I understand it, from the moment you check your intent to renew, it becomes increasingly difficult for your school to get a new teacher. if you tell them in February, less than a month before the new school year begins, then you are really putting them at a disadvantage.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2012, 10:44:01 am »
Hi I am working in a middle school under SMOE.
My school wants to renew the contract so I am at a point about to renew the contract but I am not sure if I should or not.
If I do all the medical checkups, police checks, sign the contract and decided to cancel it  in January, what happens? I know i should give them one month notice.
But I am going to definately complete the contract until the end of Feb.
Am I eligible to get the exit allowance and the severance pay?
Or is there some sort of penalty for cancelling the contract?
Waiting for your replies guys! thanks and merry christmas! :)

Read your contract.  Your contract is probably similar to mine (EPIK) and clearly states your obligations, and penalties for quitting early.  In my (EPIK) contract I have to repay my renewal bonus, lose two weeks' pay (for my renewal vacation bonus) and I will not qualify for an exit allowance (flight home money).

If you are planning to re-sign now and then hand in notice immediately (because you want to leave in February after all) then that would be a spectacularly dumb move.  You could argue that you should have no penalties because the new contract hadn't started, but you will cause a lot of trouble for everyone and they won't take kindly to it.

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2012, 02:39:33 pm »
Actually, there is no penalty regarding flight money if you renew and quite shortly after.  In EPIK, we get 1.3mil for exit allowance (quitting money).  If we renew, we get 2mil.  If you quit before 6 months, you only have to repay 0.7 mil.  Therefore, no penalty.

The "penalty" comes in when you have to pay for extra days due to the 2 week additional vacation you received, which must be done right away IIRC.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2012, 03:26:24 pm »
Before you've signed the contract, no penalty at all.
After you've signed, and it's a renewal, you technically need to give 2 months notice (or whatever the notice period is in your contract). If you fail to do so, you would be in breach of the contract. While some have argued that being in such a position is meaningless and the school can't excise any penalties upon you, IMO, it would be very foolish to intentionally get oneself into that position with your current employer and visa sponsor, who will be owing you 5+mill won and perhaps provide a positive (crucial if staying in Korean) reference.