Read 1788 times

• Hooplehead
  • Adventurer

• November 27, 2010, 03:08:47 pm
    • Chungju
Pipe/Boiler repair--I pay???
« on: February 16, 2011, 02:10:35 pm »
So I got back from vacation and a water pipe had broken, as well as the boiler.  My Uni is trying to stick me with the bill.  I've worked for public schools and a hagwon in the past and I've never been asked to pay for the broken ondol for example.  When I told my handler that the apartment owner should have homeowner's insurance for this kind of stuff, I just got the "but you have to pay" spiel.  My contract states "...shall be provided with suitable residence, employee must pay MONTHLY maintenance fees."  Nothing about who pays for unexpected stuff blowing up.

I'm in a really old building.  I asked my handler, what if the ondol here breaks and the repair bill is over 5 million won, I'd have to pay?  "Yes" was the answer.  What the heck?

Anyone know standard procedure here? Thanks. 

• Ectofuego
  • Featured Contributor

• November 02, 2010, 09:21:10 am
    • Mars
Re: Pipe/Boiler repair--I pay???
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 02:15:58 pm »
I have heard many stories about this.  Some people are nice and will play but many landlords will try to make you pay for these problems.  Your not the first one.
I'm Jason and I approve this message!

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »
My landlord really tried hard to make me pay. But my co-teacher is quite the arguer and convinced him it was his responsibility. It was about 600,000won and he told me if anything else breaks it's on me.

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 02:40:34 pm »
If your contract doesn't mention anything about the renter having to pay for repairs and break downs down sweat it. You just have to pay for the monthly fees as your contract states.
Double check your contract.
Stand your ground and don't let them tell you otherwise.

Oh I just remembered something...

Did you turn off your heating when you were away? Some teachers like to turn off their heating so save on heating costs. This is a good idea in general in the warmer months but I have have heard many stories of teachers turning it off and return to face angry landlord and burst pipes/boiler. In these cases I would say that is is the teachers fault. If it occured accidentally or from normal wear and tear then its the landlords problem not yours.

• dmhr25
  • Super Waygook

• October 03, 2010, 04:07:38 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 02:41:16 pm »
You'll probably have to pay.  It's wrong and unfair.  The very old washing machine in my apartment (machine owned by the school) broke and I was told that I was to be responsible for the costs of repair.  Luckily, it was only 55,000 won - but I was in a no-win situation.  Neither the school nor the landlord are going to eat the cost, though they should. 

I've had friends whose pipes have frozen in their apartments and they were responsible for that cost as well.

• eveliens
  • Super Waygook

• November 05, 2010, 08:49:25 am
    • Seoul, Korea
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:49:23 pm »
I had a similar situation coming back from vacation. I was basically blamed for going on vacation and not leaving the heat on (not true- I left the boiler on vacation mode just like I do when I go to school during the day) and not leaving the tap running (also not true-- I left both taps running).

When it was all said and done, the plumber removed a pipe that had basically rusted through.

I still had to pay for it or just not have water.