Read 14065 times

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
Re: Not getting along with the co-teacher, what to do =(
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2013, 04:21:35 pm »
You're honestly just a burden to her. She's not getting paid extra and she has to 'take care' of all of your needs in hopes of extra brownie points for promotion.

Nope.  Our co-teachers get a small monthly allowance for looking after us.

Do you have a rough figure for this? 100,000 won or much less than that?

The last figure I heard was 50k/mo.  It's not much, but it's better than nothing.  I'm pretty independent, and I try not to cause any trouble for her.  I can't help the amount of paperwork that she has to do due to my existence however.

My co-teacher is actually awesome and I really appreciate what she does.  She tells me everything I need to know, and she shelters me from a lot of the nonsense that goes on at my school.

• Vinnie
  • Veteran

• July 28, 2010, 01:17:42 am
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2013, 04:36:51 pm »
You're honestly just a burden to her. She's not getting paid extra and she has to 'take care' of all of your needs in hopes of extra brownie points for promotion.

Nope.  Our co-teachers get a small monthly allowance for looking after us.

Do you have a rough figure for this? 100,000 won or much less than that?

The last figure I heard was 50k/mo.  It's not much, but it's better than nothing.  I'm pretty independent, and I try not to cause any trouble for her.  I can't help the amount of paperwork that she has to do due to my existence however.

My co-teacher is actually awesome and I really appreciate what she does.  She tells me everything I need to know, and she shelters me from a lot of the nonsense that goes on at my school.

50,000 won is not too bad. So about 600,000 won for the one year period. Definitely nothing to be sneezed at.

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2013, 04:48:15 pm »

50,000 won is not too bad. So about 600,000 won for the one year period. Definitely nothing to be sneezed at.

Absolutely!  I suppose some NETs create more work than others though.

• Mokona
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2012, 12:03:46 pm
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2013, 09:40:08 pm »

I envy you, I wish I had a co-teacher who could tell me everything I need to know. Instead of my co-teacher, my other co-workers help me out and cover me all the time. Really appreciate my co-workers!! 

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2013, 02:21:09 pm »
So here was the story...

Yesterday when my co-teacher left (she is a 60 yr old lady) and while she was preparing to leave she placed her bag on my desk. and I told her not to put her personal belongings on my desk and the very next day, she told me she got upset coz of what I told her. She kept on telling me that in Korea everyone shares desks with everyone (which is bull*** coz other teachers in the same staff room didn't place their stuff on my desk like that!) And then I told her that I am not a Korean yet she kinda insisted that I had to follow the "Korean culture". Mind you guys that this is not the first time she did random stuff on my desk. She spilled my water on my desk before, and took one of my teabags without me asking

As for work, although she is responsible for my things, she told me the wrong vacation dates, always giving me false information about events and what not.

So this morning she asked to have a "deep talk" and she ended up yelling at me coz I told her what did she do wrong and she pretty much denied her wrongs and blamed her faults onto me. and she told me she hates seeing me having a "sh*tty" face showing beside her (coz I sit beside her) and kept like pointing her accusing finger at me, and she told me that she is my "manager" and my "boss"... = =

I dunno if a co-teacher will effect my evaluation...do co-teachers usually evaluate NETs? or just Prinicpals and Vice Principals? Coz I would love to teach in this school coz other teachers are great!!

Yeah your co-teachers are directly responsible in recommending you for a renewal or not next year. She can say whatever she wants to the principal or VP. I dunno...there might be some leeway with the P or VP but generally she's the one to say yay or nay.

My co-teacher is sorta the same way, tries to boss me around and stuff. Trust me, we clashed just as hard as you and your co-teacher. You're honestly just a burden to her. She's not getting paid extra and she has to 'take care' of all of your needs in hopes of extra brownie points for promotion. MY co-teacher is generally unhelpfully and doesn't know any info. I can't ask anyone else for info about anything at school because it's 'going above her' and she freaks out hardcore. She gets mad paranoid and asks 5 million questions. I'm honestly stuck between a rock and a hard place. What can I do really? It's gotten better this semester, because she's stopped asking for so many things from me. I did go above her and complain to the head english teacher who talked to her...worked sometimes, didn't other times. She'd take her anger out at me really cuz in her mind  she's lost "face".

What can I say. You need to stand your ground for sure. My coteacher was unhelpful in getting me my winter school supplies so I threated to just talk to the admin staff myself and get it, and then that's when she got her a$$ in gear and help me out. It'll be hard for you  to stand your ground, but eventually she'll get the point and won't mess around with you. These people aren't really your 'true' bosses and they're weak once you stand up for yourself.

In light of the highlighted part and what you said afterwards and the conflicts you've had with your head co-teacher, what happens if you want to renew at your school? Are you not concerned that your co-teacher will say nay to your renewal because of these conflicts?

Well my school is one of the schools affected by the GEPIK cuts, so I won't be getting renewed anyway. But even before I heard the news, my co-teacher was acting a bit better towards me and respecting my efforts more. I figure it's because she's really lazy, and wanted to continue depending on me for the material. She verbally said she wanted to renew me. But after I got the bad news, she actually admitted that it was gonna be hard seeing me leave...only because she's gonna have to do more work next semester! Maybe the budget cuts are a blessing in disguise cuz i dunno if I could stand another year with her.

Oh and about the monthly allowance co-teachers get...I saw my co-teacher's monthly salary. She gets 2.1 Million won, so I guess she gets an allowance of 100,000 won, which isn't really much since she still feels I'm an annoyance more than anything else.