Read 2767 times

How will the President change ESL.
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:49:08 pm »
Anyone know how a new President might potentially change the laws and focus related to English in Korea, including tutoring (legally) I've heard mixed thing from Koreans, but most seem to suggest both are anti English and anti Tutoring and private education generally?
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:18:28 pm by bowmansbrain »

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
Re: How will the President change ESL.
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2012, 09:57:28 pm »
What do you mean? People can already tutor legally.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 10:17:33 pm »

Yeah I just added the legally to keep the topic off illegal tutoring, I'll putt brackets in....

I've heard that tutoring may be affected as they both plan to reduce the spending on private education and if tests go potentially parents stop caring about English. Who knows they might get tough and have an all out ban tutoring or put the amount you can charge right down.personally an issue as I hoped to start tutoring (legally) in a few years time.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2012, 10:25:54 pm by bowmansbrain »

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:22:14 pm »
Park geun hye also has plans for Public education by making after school education at school free!

If anyone will get the crappy end of that I bet it will be Native teachers that might suddenly find an added clause in their contract that they have to do afternoon lessons.

Truth is at this stage politicians tend to promise stuff that isn't that realistic...

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2012, 10:59:14 pm »
I don't think tutoring will be effected. The big concern are generally hagwons, that's the primary competitor with public schools. People should still be able to obtain tutoring licenses fairly easily.

The education budget is wonky right now, who knows what will happen. We have this free lunch nonsense going on, NET's being cut due to low budgets and questionable efficiency, etc. Things can change pretty quick I guess.

If the world economy ever picks back up and graduates can get jobs, they'll stop coming to Korea. Then the few of us who continue to do this job will have better working conditions again. That's my dream.

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:08 am »
Hopefully things stay the same for ESL. The new president will probably be like Obama saying they will make changes to this and that but once in power nothing eventuates.

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 08:22:45 am »
This title should've been "how could the new president change esl". Nobody knows what the new president will do.

People have said Park wouldn't try to cut nets as quickly as Moon but who knows and who cares?  Nobody knows what their true prerogatives are and even if we did it wouldn't matter. It's not like we can influence it  - we just have to stay informed and go along with whatever happens. 

• aemaier
  • Veteran

• February 29, 2012, 02:51:42 am
    • Suwon, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 01:55:55 pm »

Legal tutoring is news to me unless you have the proper F visa and declare it in taxes. I know this isn't the proper venue for discussion on that, but maybe someone can PM me the thread if it's easy to find. I have't found it myself.

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2012, 02:27:25 pm »
Also, dual-citizenship for Korean nationals.

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2012, 04:28:30 pm »

Legal tutoring is news to me unless you have the proper F visa and declare it in taxes. I know this isn't the proper venue for discussion on that, but maybe someone can PM me the thread if it's easy to find. I have't found it myself.

Oh, sorry. I didn't clarify my post. I mean exactly what you said. It's legal for people who don't have a government job and who have an F series visa. They can register for a tutoring license quite easily with the office of education.

Long termers in Korea can obtain an F-Series visa if you learn Korean! Just do the point system, it's not too bad. It's a pretty fair system. Or, the easy way is to just get married I guess. But if you work at a public school, you still can't do it. I think there's a law where government employees can only have one job? At least, that's how it was explained to me by some other public school Korean teachers.

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:31 pm »
Alright, so the million dollar question: Which presidential candidates are for NETs in Korea in the public school system and which candidates aren't? Or does no one really know?

Just wondering if I'm gonna have to be packing my bags come March...

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:29 pm »
Korean mothers will ensure that hagwons remain open!  ;D I'd pay to see a prez try to take on k-moms!!

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 09:01:40 am »
I was here during the last presidential election in 2007. Despite my general dislike of Pres. Lee Myung Bak and his policies, he has always been a big supporter of English education in this country. During his term there was a dramatic increase in the amount of foreign teachers in Korea, especially in public schools.

I would definitely say that a new president could have an effect on our jobs and English education in this country in general.

As a side, past administrations have also tried to get rid of the hagwon system and it has never worked.