Read 3215 times

• elledee
  • Waygookin

• May 20, 2011, 06:15:33 am
    • South Korea
I'm an elementary guest teacher with EPIK in a small city Jeollabuk-do. I've been teaching at an English Center for two years and I'm interested in moving to Ansan (or possibly Suwon) to be closer to friends. And for a change of pace. My contract renews at the beginning of March 2013. I haven't gone to my resigning interview yet. I am totally flexible about the grade level I teach. I'd be happy to stay in elementary but I can try something new.

I'm hearing so much about the budget cuts in Gyeonggi-do that it makes me concerned to request a change of city.

Is this an unrealistic request to make given the current job climate? Will there be enough positions available in a city like Ansan or Suwon to accommodate the request?

What is the process like when you request a move within EPIK? I've heard that you don't always get the city you request. What is the best way to get what you want?

Any advice from people who are familiar with the job climate in Ansan or Suwon or from people with experience transferring cities within EPIK would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
if you're changing provinces, you have to reapply to EPIK all over again.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• robvandan
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2011, 05:54:23 am
    • Seoul, Korea.
If you want to change provinces with EPIK, then you will need to re-apply.
Although you are probably way too late for the spring starts, your best bet would be summer.

You can request an MOE preference, but then Suwon might fall into GEPIK, so EPIK would only be good for Seoul Jobs SMOE. Also you can choose to withdraw if you don't get a position in your preffered place.

I know that as long as you can provide copies of all your original documents from your MOE/POE, you DON'T need new ones, and also being in country and having the experience should ensure you should get a position.

My best advice would be to wait until August intake, IF there are jobs, or if there is an EPIK anymore.

Otherwise get straight onto EPIK or GEPIK right away!
"Difference is, I walked out a winner. That's my key to success."

• Lonefox
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 01:03:21 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Don't worry OP The transition is possible and most often smooth.
It's true as the above posters mentioned. Gyeonggi is not handled by EPIK programme, but rather GEPIK. So there will be more paperwork involved. However, many schools only get partial funding from them and it's quite possible to have them handle most of the paperwork done while you are working in school.
WHat I'd be most concerned about it your choice of location: Both Ansan and Suwon are heavily saturated markets with lots of population. You might be a little too late for those localities when it comes to public school positions. (But don't lose hope, what is sought is most often found, and I've seen a plenty of people achieving the impossible despite ridicules and deridies from peers)

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
Not realistic at all through EPIK/GEPIK.   However, most POE's and some schools will hire directly.  This is your best bet.

• elledee
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
Hi Everyone!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate the advice and insight.

I've contacted a recruiter that was highly recommended by my friend.  Not sure if they are set up to help people who are already in Korea, but I thought that might be a way to get access to openings. 

If it looks bleak for March, I will investigate the possibility of changing in August or September. 

Does anyone have experience in changing positions mid-contract? My sense is that this would be difficult.

One further question, if transferring to GEPIK from EPIK, would my salary level stay the same?

Thanks, again!

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• Buyeo, south korea
You need to be more precise about what you are actually trying to do.   You are not looking to change schools in August.   You are looking to break your contract early and apply for a new job at a different school.   this could affect your ability to get a reference from your current school.   It also means you might need new paperwork since your current school most likely wont give you a LOR.

• elledee
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
Thanks, Grimne_Lothos.  I see what you mean.  So your advice is to apply directly to the POE or to a school now, as breaking my contract mid-way would negatively affect my references.  I understand your logic.

When you say that applying to the POE directly is my best bet, does that mean that the POE is advertising positions somewhere? Do you (or does anyone else) have advice on where to find these job postings?

Apologies, I'm not savvy with the job hunting scene within Korea. I applied for this job through EPIK.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Ok, you cannot transfer to GEPIK from EPIK. You would have to apply either for GEPIK general intake, or more likely, for specific schools in GEPIK. I would suggest that you apply to specific schools and start now. As for your paperwork (CBC and diploma) if they are at the immigration office, you can just transfer your visa, as long as you didn't do something bad in Jeolla.

Just remember, the payscale for GEPIK is lower than EPIK. I am actually trying to go the opposite direction for the 2013 school year. I am going from GEPIK to Jeolla.

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• Buyeo, south korea
When a school's funding comes from a different source or when a school needs a NET to start sometime other than early march or August then the jobs become available to recruiters that are registered with the POE.  Korean Horizons is one recruiter that I have seen post public school openings from all over the country.   I have seen posting for specific public schools both here on waygook and on Dave's.
Alternately, if you know someone with a good situation that is leaving then you can get in touch with their school.   Odds are that they will happily hire you rather than play the EPIK lottery.   

• Lonefox
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 01:03:21 pm
    • Gyeonggi
Hmm elledee You say your contract is up  early March? Does that mean you'll be free on March 3rd or 4th?

Anyway if you think you are well qualified and available in the beginning of  March. you could send me your resume and cover letter at b_schei@alumni.concordia.ca   if you don't mind working in a little more rural part of Gyeonggi (In a city next to Suwon). I believe there is a chance I could set you up with a GEPIK position. Again, no guarantees. I ain't no recruiter.
Of course, rural here would qualify as a metropolis back home but an hour away from Seoul is still considered rural.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 01:57:57 pm by Lonefox »