Read 4321 times

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
Public school funding
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:38:07 am »
When will we find out if GEPIK decides to fund our school's native teacher (me) for another year?

Re: Public school funding
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:50:55 am »
I imagine that your school will let you know if they even want to keep you 90 days before the end of your contract. If your school likes you, and they don't get funding from GEPIK, they may just pay out of pocket to keep you.

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:25:12 am »
What did your school say when you asked them?

You will know for sure 60 days before your current contract ends.  That's the time when the school must inform you if they intend to re-contract with you or not.
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:39:08 am »
I've heard from friends and from my own coteacher that the schools will be informed at the end of December.

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 12:51:05 pm »
What did your school say when you asked them?

You will know for sure 60 days before your current contract ends.  That's the time when the school must inform you if they intend to re-contract with you or not.

When my co-teacher told the VP after Chuseok that I would be renewing, all he said was "I got it." Haven't heard any news since then.

I've heard from friends and from my own coteacher that the schools will be informed at the end of December.

Thanks, this is good info.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 12:57:26 pm by Engrish »

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 12:53:48 pm »
My co-teacher said that they'd be told in March, so perhaps it's different for some.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:01:22 pm »
I've had a friend whose school was interested in keeping him, but funds were low so it was a no-go. Same here, my co-teachers insisted I stay another year. Then I got the news that the government cut the funding for foreign teachers, and our school was one of the schools impacted.
So I guess every school is different. If it helps, I just got the news on Monday while my contract ends at the end of March.

« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 07:19:03 am »
What province / city are you & your friend located in ???? Thanks.

• Lonefox
  • Waygookin

• August 26, 2011, 01:03:21 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 07:37:58 am »
Find out first where the funding is coming from for you.
Just because you signed a GEPIK contract does not mean the entire funding comes from Gyeonggi Province.
Part of it may come from school, part of it from the Municipality, and still part of it from parent body.

If "most" of your funding already comes from non-provincial sources, let's say, the municipality, then you need not worry about getting renewed as long as the staff likes you.
But if majority or even 100% of your funding comes from the Province... Then you have a just cause to be paranoid about this time of the year without any solid news or assurance because as you all know, GEPIK is phasing out its NETs just like SMOE.

So ask your co teacher where they get funding from (They get paperwork from the city or province for this so they know exactly where from. If they tell you otherwise, they are lying or lazy)

Cheers

• Mr.TDE
  • Waygookin

• May 04, 2011, 08:08:20 am
    • Anyang
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 08:02:38 am »
Same situation for me.

I have asked my colleagues about the option to stay and about funding. A month ago, I was told that GEPIK will not be funding positions in High Schools that are not in large cities but that the high school would try and find funding from City Hall. Just have been pushing for more information as it is December and we are entitled to know whether we can re-contract 2 months ahead.  Info I got was that it is difficult to understand what is happening due to City Hall allocating their budget and basically a foreign teacher is low on the list.  I contacted GEPIK and no official notice has been sent out but basically they should know in December.

I am not holding my breath. This would be the second position lost due to funding. The Principal and colleagues want me to stay but out of their control.

I think High School positions are being phased out by GEPIK.

• amgoalng
  • Expert Waygook

• August 31, 2012, 08:00:20 am
    • Gobuk, near Seosan, closer to Haemi
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 08:33:22 am »
I also have the suspicion that a lot of schools are wondering how the elections are going to turn out and the impact that will have on funding.  Korea is at an interesting cross-roads and as foreigners we are on being caught in the cross fire.  It happened in the US where a lot of business were, and still are, afraid to hire simply because of the elections and laws being passed.

Also, I hope I can ask this in this thread.  My contract ends in August but the school year starts in March.  Could they try and get rid of me early if they don't have the budget for that year or they just don't think I am worth the funds?  For instance, they have no intention on hiring another NET so why not get rid of me and save them some money.  Is that a possibility? 

Another reason this is important is because they have told me who my new Korean teacher is going to be (using the word "maybe"), because my one now is leaving,  Could that be an indication they plan on keeping me?

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 09:13:05 am »
This was in an Email from the head of GEPIK I got yesterday.

GEPIK is funded by Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education(GPOE) and like I said, nothing has been confirmed about 2013 funding except for middle and high schools. Middle and high schools are not getting money next year which means they will close their NET business.

Mind you every school may have its own procedure.
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 10:04:37 am »

GEPIK is funded by Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education(GPOE) and like I said, nothing has been confirmed about 2013 funding except for middle and high schools. Middle and high schools are not getting money next year which means they will close their NET business.

This is huge...would you mind copy+pasting that entire email?

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• Bucheon
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 10:10:06 am »

As it was a private email I would, sorry.

I've show it to my principal and she is very unhappy and has started phoning the GPOE......

20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:30 am »

As it was a private email I would, sorry.

I've show it to my principal and she is very unhappy and has started phoning the GPOE......

Please let us know when you hear any news. It would be great to get a head start on the job search.

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:59 am »

Which head of GEPIK is that?

Hellena Lee just said she never wrote that email...

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• Bucheon
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 10:34:01 am »

Which head of GEPIK is that?

Hellena Lee just said she never wrote that email...

I don't want to give her name on the thread but PM sent your way.

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 10:45:12 am »
Thanks.

Not looking good then.

• airina
  • Explorer

• June 21, 2011, 08:45:24 am
    • HANAM, GYUNG GI DO
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 10:45:32 am »
This is Hellena Lee, the GEPIK Head Coordinator.
I would like to clarify I never wrote that letter and I do not appreciate people causing chaos with made up stories. And yes, the budget is not finalized and yes, there are people up there want to cut our budget. I do not appreciate this kind of thread when our team is working very hard and doing our best to secure the budget so we can keep our valued GEPIK teachers. And one more note. Our teachers will be the first to know as soon as budget is finalized.

I will not response further on this thread.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 11:44:13 am »
Thanks Helena.

Please don't post information that affects people's livelihoods, especially if you can't or won't verify it.

Topic Locked.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.