Read 1598 times

Trying to get a new job in Korea
« on: December 03, 2012, 11:42:43 pm »
I'm a 35 year old Aussie male who's now in Sydney. I have a BA and a Graduate TESOL Certificate (it's not much good back in Sydney or I guess in any western English speaking city). I recently finished a year as a public school teacher near Gwangju along with a stint at a hagwon in Incheon 5 years ago. I have my documents ready for a new e-2 however every recruiter I've contacted seem to have no jobs for me (I'm after a hagwon job ASAP). I'm not sure I want to wait for the new public school year (I'm unemployed back home and am desperate to get a new job, even back in Sydney it's hard to get any job at the moment). Is it my nationality and accent? Or is it my age and past experience in Korea? Or is it the time of year? I tried to teach in China at a public school last year and it was the most miserable experience of my life (I quit after 2 weeks). I'd consider Thailand or some other countries if the salaries were bigger. I guess I'm wondering if it's worth bothering with the idea of returning to Korea for a 3rd time...

• chuck2657
  • Expert Waygook

• September 11, 2012, 02:29:12 pm
Re: Trying to get a new job in Korea
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:36 am »
And here I thought support and advice regarding teaching in Korea were part of this forum...

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:33:29 am »
Why comment if the only thing you're going to say is I will not offer guidance or support. I think everyone can live without that kind of help. Just keep those things in your own mind when you're reading posts. There's no need to post every thought you have.

• Engrish
  • Super Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 10:56:14 am
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:03:17 am »
Is there a reason you did not renew at your public school? I'm only asking because it sounds like you are desperate, but renewing at a public school is usually easy.

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:22:00 am »
This is going to sound rude, but since I don't know how you look...
Have you taken a look at your appearance? The demand is in the school's favor these days, so they tend to choose the more attractive teacher of an equally qualified group.
Have you taken extra care of your looks lately? Maybe that'll help give you an edge.

Sorry if I offend anyone :/
I felt sorry for myself because I had no shoes-- until I met a man with no feet.

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 10:57:51 am »
Why comment if the only thing you're going to say is I will not offer guidance or support. I think everyone can live without that kind of help. Just keep those things in your own mind when you're reading posts. There's no need to post every thought you have.

Just for the record, I have nothing against the OP.  How could I?  I don't even know the guy.  But you have to admit the original post is obviously confusing.  I'm not even sure what the OP is asking.  On one hand he wants to know if he has a chance to come to Korea.  Yet, on the other hand, he doesn't seem to know what country to choose.

If he wants someone to tell him where to go then I, nor anyone else, can make that decision for him.  Furthermore, I would never lead someone to think something that were not true.  What I mean is I'm not going to tell the OP that he has a chance to come here, that things will go well, that he can get a job, etc. because I simply don't know.  And to give someone false hope without knowing anything is simply unfair.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 12:28:03 pm »
Nah, I don't think Korea is saying you're too old, too Aussie, too 3rd timer etc. Maybe a few recruiters are or maybe it's just a difficult time of year to get a job here.

It hasn't turned into this;

How long have you been applying?
Also is there seasonal work in Sydney? Some easy bar/store work for a month might be a nice change?
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.