Read 3080 times

Random, Dumb School Rules
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:04:14 pm »
So my co-teacher told me today that we (teachers) can't sit in class anymore.  We have to stand all the time.  This is a new rule from the principal as of today for ALL teachers.  She and the regular teachers were all annoyed.  Even if she is typing vocab. she should lean over the computer and not sit.  So STUPID!  Not sure of the reason other than our principal is bored!

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
Re: Random, Dumb School Rules
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 12:07:44 pm »
This was a rule at the place where I did my TESOl training at at the academy i worked at in China.   I felt really bad and embarassed when i had some back problems at my public school in Korea because i had to sit down for a few minutes every 10 minutes or so.   I guess I assumed that it was SOP throughout Korea for EFL teachers to stand during classes.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 12:09:22 pm by Grimne_Lothos »

• lotte world
  • The Legend

• August 22, 2011, 09:00:38 pm
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:47 pm »
I am too busy in my classes to sit down.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 12:17:05 pm »
Does this mean you can't sit while teaching class or at all meaning even during "desk time"?

I can understand the principal wanting teachers to stand while teaching but its a bit extreme to mandate it in all cases. If its even during "desk time" then that's ridiculous.

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 12:26:29 pm »
I also don't usually sit during class time but our smart board is broken so I sometimes sit to use the computer/smart board.  The same with my co-teacher--the kids like it when she does vocab. on the computer/smart board rather than the white board. 

We can't sit even when the lesson component is over ie. having kids come to the desk to check work etc.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:28:52 pm »
a friend of mine had this at a hagwon they used to work for.

thinking about it, the only time i sit down is when students are bringing their homework to my desk and i have to check it.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Morticae
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 31, 2010, 12:45:33 pm
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:37:23 pm »
I agree with the rule. Why not? A teacher should be standing up while lecturing, then walking around assisting students afterwards. At no point should you sit down and relax in a class, unless the class is watching a movie. I'm constantly circling the room considering my classes are large (40 students) and they'll easily be sidetracked if I'm not there to hover over them and poke them.

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:07:08 pm »
Standing is healthier!

http://artofmanliness.com/2011/07/05/become-a-stand-up-guy-the-history-benefits-and-use-of-standing-desks/

I spend way too much time sitting at my desk in the teacher's room.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 01:09:08 pm »
I find kids respond to a physically present teacher. If you're sitting down your physically presence is very much diminished. When I was in school during exams the teacher would stroll up and down the lines of desks, I always tensed up when they got to me even though I never cheated. All I have to do is stand near a group of students and they usually quieten down a bit (except the belligerent ones).

Unless you're 60+ or sick you don't need to sit down in a 40 minute class.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• iseya
  • Expert Waygook

• February 15, 2012, 06:14:49 pm
    • USA
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:30:23 pm »
I think it's stupid that someone had to actually make this a rule...but, I do agree with it. There aren't many times a teacher should be sitting during a class.
It does sound like it's being done to an extreme at your school though if theyre specifically saying you can't even sit when checking students work.
  I wonder if a teacher or two got caught doing whole lectures from their seats..

Speaking of dumb rules....
I'm not a fan of the no shoes inside the school rule.
I'm more than fine with it in homes, restaraunts, etc..but at school...(or at my school at least) it's stupid.
 I dont know how everyone elses school looks, but my highschool is made up of a few 4 story buildings...the inside looks like some sort of plain government building...no carpets...just hard tile floors.
The boys spit all over the floor, so its not like theyre ever really clean.  I'm constantly looking down when I walk so that I dont step on snot.

They have the kids picking up trash, serving food, and cleaning classrooms anyways...they could have them clean the floors as well, if this is about cleanliness--
there's definitely no shortage of trouble makers at my school, so there's a never ending supply of janitors. They'd probably stop spitting and throwing trash on the floor if they were responsible for cleaning it up at the end of the day.

Also, I feel kind of weird giving orders while wearing slippers. 

• papayapie
  • Super Waygook

• May 30, 2012, 10:30:06 am
    more
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 08:24:09 am »
Teachers at my school aren't allowed to chew gum. I think that's totally ridiculous. Students not being allowed - okay, fine. But I was chewing gum AFTER all the students had gone home and some random Korean teacher in the hallway saw my mouth barely moving and came over and told me in broken English that I'm not allowed. I was so surprised that I just spit it out and asked my co-teacher about it the next day. She said because the students are not allowed, we are not allowed......guess there's no perks for being adults in Korea  :police: :afro:

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 09:54:18 am »
I'm constantly circling the room considering my classes are large (40 students) and they'll easily be sidetracked if I'm not there to hover over them and poke them.

the teacher would stroll up and down the lines of desks, I always tensed up when they got to me even though I never cheated

I have to disagree with a few points made here. I find walking around during paperwork is somewhat intimidating. Also if I have to help a student, I lean over their desk with my back to the rest of the class.

I prefer to sit at an empty desk and have the students bring me their paper. I think this does a lot of things. It keeps me in the front, helps establish I am the teacher and more of an authority, the students have to come to me. This method has not diminished the number of hand raises in fact it always increases. I think it gives off a friendlier vibe and not so intimidating, and the students aren't as shy, because they are not asking questions in front of other students.

Now I know my words will be taken to new extremes not intended, so to clarify a bit... I do walk around during paperwork. By sitting often, it makes those moments I walk around more sincere, and helps quiet a class. I do make sure I come off as a resource and I am there to help. I never sit during a lecture. I actually don't sit all that often. I accept your methods of walking around and am glad you do it.

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:58:33 am »
Moving around the classroom is very important to me with classes with behavior issues. I find the class response is completely different when I stay at the desk clicking next on the power point or walking around the class. I think it can make for better engagement with the whole class, especially students who sit at the back and either don't want to or are difficult to notice.

• dmw
  • Veteran

• March 08, 2011, 12:55:20 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:10:41 am »
I personally prefer to be standing or walking around the classroom to check on the students work etc ... I don't see the need to be sitting down for anything other than at the end of class if they are bringing up work to be marked/checked....

Plus standing up and walking around burns more calories ... we get to sit at our desks more than enough in my opinion...

• miss_cho
  • Super Waygook

• October 10, 2011, 10:00:55 am
    • Korea
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 11:43:35 am »
My school has an unspoken rule about standing during class. Thankfully it's a bit more flexible after class because I teach a night class for 2 hours and I think the students would hate it if I was standing there lecturing or monitoring the class for the time. I sit on the edge of a desk for part of the class to help the students. I purposely want to create a different atmosphere between our normal class time and night class. I hope the students find the night class more relaxed and fun.

My middle school has, in my opinion, a very stupid rule regarding shoes. It has the typical "no shoes" rule so students change their shoes but the V-P takes it one step further and doesn't want the students to even wear slippers. Instead he expects the students to walk around in their socks. The tile floor is freezing because he also likes the windows to be open for circulation. My toes are cold even wearing shoes so I can't imagine the poor students who must traipse along the hallways in their socks. Many students disregard the rule and I can't blame them.

My old tech school had a rule that if a student misbehaved they'd get a point and after so many points they were expected to clean the school. Overall I think it's a good rule except for the fact that the students get to miss a day of classes while cleaning. They typically get to clean on relatively nice days and get their normal break time between classes. So basically they get a free day outside with their friends. I don't really understand how it's a punishment for students who don't care about class.