Read 2540 times

• Mokona
  • Veteran

• June 29, 2012, 12:03:46 pm
Vacation Related Issue
« on: December 03, 2012, 10:50:24 am »
This is a little story of my booking ticket/ vacation registering

So about a month ago I asked my co-teacher when will be my winter vacation begin, and my co-teacher told me that I could register for vacation (between Jan - Feb) ANYTIME 14 days prior my leaving date. So I booked my ticket and it was a ticket on sale and the dates were PERFECT for Chinese New Yr!! Until I talked with other teachers did I realized that some days had classes during my vacation and now I had to change my flight dates and had to pay more because there are just regular tickets left......

I didn't receive any notice/ calender until I talked with other teachers and through other teachers I had to register 1 MONTH prior to my vacation start date!!

Is there anyway to claim the difference between the regular ticket and my sale ticket because obviously It's not my fault that I didn't know that in the beginning of Feb there would be a week of class popping up out of the blue....

Has anyone had similar situation before?  :-[

Re: Vacation Related Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 11:15:31 am »
That's rough.

Originally I was going on vacation from the 12th to the 27th of January.
I attempted to get it in writing before I booked my ticket even though my CoT said it'd be fine, but it turned out the principal had organised longer camps and not told anyone about it.

Subsequently I have to take my vacation in the Spring vacation after graduation.

There is always a week of school in february dedicated for graduation, this is usually followed by 3 weeks before the new semester starts.  These 3 weeks are termed 'Spring vacation' and are generally the latest commonly accepted time that your school can agree to give you vacation...although it is within their power to have you take it during school term time.

If you had nothing in writing then you're up a creek without a paddle as there's no proof an agreement was made.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 11:18:09 am »
unless you had something signed by your vice principle giving you your dates then the school isn't in the wrong in any way.   Sounds like she told you that you wouldn't get your dates confirmed until 2 weeks before your vacation so you were taking a risk assuming that the dates you picked months in advance would be ok.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 11:34:36 am »
Yeah, what Grimne said.  You should of got something in writing from the VP or Principal.  Head Teacher doesn't count.  You don't have a school calendar yet?  Your school's website should have a calendar of the days when classes are happening.

Also, our contracts are specific and vague at the same time.  Be an information seeker, espcially when it concners money :p

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:01:29 pm »
Yeah I might have the same problem. Asked my coteacher about 3 times if the dates I wanted were ok, to check with the principal, and let me know if it was ok to book the tickets back home.

I had the school calendar and everything looked fine. Dates were well after camps and before school started. Well somehow the dates for school starting got magically bumped up a week, and cuts into the last part of my vacation for 3 days.

My coteacher seemed to think it wouldn't be a big deal and I would just miss those three days, but we will see if the principal approves of it. If not, don't know what I'll do as the tickets are not refundable and can't be changed.

• Mokona
  • Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 07:43:19 am »
Well I wasn't given a school calender in the beginning anyway. Just like other foreigner teachers I was the last one to know about EVERYTHING. I changed my flight date but I had to pay a friggin lum sum of 80,000won just to change the dates (as a penalty fee I guess).

Well I've finally registered for my vacation and my VP and Principal approved it....

I think my point in here is that I really can't trust my co-teacher coz she is CRAPPY AT DOING HER JOB (even when teaching together with her the kids would just no listen at all go crazy and she would just screw up my lesson plan by spoiling my ppt info to the kids)

Ever since I came to school I had to rely on other teachers for ACCURATE information on vacations/ school coz my co-teacher is a crappy/ selfish middle- aged woman who just always apologize if does something wrong and NEVER GONNA FIX HER PROBLEMS.  I was always given some false information and this time I got screwed over. I am glad that she will be leaving on Feb but I am seriously worried about other teachers/ foreigner teacher who will be working with her.

Anyway, that's enough of my ranting. Will be more careful next time in terms of money

• cruisemonkey
  • Expert Waygook

• March 25, 2011, 02:17:57 pm
    • China
    more
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 11:27:15 am »
Mokona,

80k is a 'cheap' lesson learned.

I know this will give you no solace; however, I also know of people who have had to shell out for the entire cost of (non-refundable) tickets because they trusted what their CT 'said'.
The Ks once gave me five minutes notice. I didn't know what to do with the extra time.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 12:01:40 pm »
So, Mokona, congrats on getting that little snafu sorted and where are you going?
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• Mokona
  • Veteran

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:01 am »
Mokona,

80k is a 'cheap' lesson learned.

I know this will give you no solace; however, I also know of people who have had to shell out for the entire cost of (non-refundable) tickets because they trusted what their CT 'said'.

Ya, you're right. I have heard many other terrible stories (between NETs and schools) too. I should be glad and thankful.

JeremyC: I will be going back to Hong Kong for Chinese New Year, I miss my family =)