Read 1680 times

Taking Ambien to get through Jet lag
« on: December 03, 2012, 05:59:48 am »
I plan to take Ambien on my trip over so I can rest.  I may also use it to get through all the jetlag.  Will taking Ambien cause me a problem when taking my medical exam or will they even look for this drug in my system?  Additionally, are we supposed to pay for our Medical exam or does EPIK pay for?  If I am required to pay it I wonder if my insurance will cover the bill and the medical facility will allow me to use it?  Please provide me with any information you can offer.  Thanks.

• Roo
  • Explorer

• August 23, 2011, 08:42:20 pm
Re: Taking Ambien to get through Jet lag
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 07:02:52 am »
Honestly, I wouldn't take it. It's too much of a risk that it could show up as something else on your drug test. For payment, you do pay for it, but they take it out of your first paycheck. Or at least that's what they did with mine. I was with EPIK.

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:26:18 am »
I'd say skip the pills. When you get here, don't sleep until it's night time the following day. It takes a while for your body to reprogram itself to the new time zone even with sleeping pills...better to do it the natural way. I had to pay with my own cash right when I got my medical exam.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 07:46:18 am »
taking pills to sleep won't do anything to prevent jet lag... you just have to get through it.

best things:
- don't nap. this is the worst thing you can do
- slowly increase the time you sleep by. 6pm the first day, 7pm the second.

but as others have said, it might be best to avoid having pills in your system around the time of your health check.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 07:52:50 am »
I don't know what kind of drug group Ambien is in; is it related to any narcotics that are tested for?

Anyways, I wouldn't take pills.  Look at your flight time and try your best to manage your sleep before and during the flight.  You're going to be tired; it's unavoidable.  Once you land, just stay up until it's nighttime.  Go to bed and wake up the next morning.  Done.  Jet lag's over-hyped.  I've done a number of these 20+ hour flight schedules and it never takes more than a day to get adjusted.

As for the medical test, you pay.  Myself and everyone that I know of has paid out of pocket at the hospital.  Which insurance are you talking about?  Are you still going to have your home country insurance? If so, that's to be discussed with them, though I doubt they will.  If you're talking about the insurance that you get with your job in Korea; no they don't pay for it (and you won't even have that insurance until after you get your medical exam, anyways).
C is for cookie, that's good enough for me.

• tipani
  • Veteran

• September 07, 2012, 03:52:45 pm
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:12:47 pm »
You pay out of pocket for the medical exam.  Just a warning, it's a bit expensive.  FYI mine was 80,000W so be prepared for that.

As for jet lag, the only thing that I can add that other posters haven't already is that it is much easier coming from the West going to the East than the other way around.  This way, you'll want to go to bed really early and wake up really early and it's much easier (in my opinion) to delay sleep than it is to try and sleep when you are wide awake.