deleted.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 09:39:29 pm by reloset »

• illybo
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2011, 04:30:42 pm
    • South Korea
Re: WARNING: Kyungpook National University, Daegu
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2012, 11:59:56 pm »
Yes, please do be careful! However pertinent or relevant this information is for job-seekers, if someone at your workplace finds out it could affect your future job options. But - regardless! Thank you for getting the word out. :) 

• JL5205
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 11:02:50 am
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 07:41:48 am »
The only surprising thing about this article is that it took you roughly 18 paragraphs to describe a typical situation that could have been summed up in about 3.  Try cutting out all the unnecessary garbage and get to the point.

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 10:20:55 am »
The only surprising thing about this article is that it took you roughly 18 paragraphs to describe a typical situation that could have been summed up in about 3.  Try cutting out all the unnecessary garbage and get to the point.

Totally agree.

TBH, if I was interested in working there (and I'm not in the slightest), the length of the OP and the way it's written would probably make me almost as inclined to dismiss it as some serial whiner with personal bitterness towards certain individuals whose information was to be taken with a pillar or salt or several as to take it seriously.

I well know that quite a few Korean Uni jobs offer pretty dire conditions and I could certainly believe that this is one of them. Some of the things mentioned don't sound very good and are worth warning would-be applicants about. But others just sound like someone scraping the barrel for as much crap as he can throw at them. The severance change for example, is simply due to a change in the law. Yeah, they could have told you about it but most people I know here didn't need their employer to tell them about this. And those air-con restrictions are pretty normal in this day and age. If anything 26C is fairly generous.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 10:26:00 am by ironopolis »

• reloset
  • Explorer

• December 02, 2012, 12:43:49 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 10:51:38 am »
Interesting replies.  Actually, it's ironic that I'm being accused of scraping the barrel, and being dramatic because the things I commented on only scratch the surface  of the  problems at Kyungpook.  If I were to reveal more, I would be outed for sure.

I think any drama perceived in my post reflects the intensity of the drama of working at this university.   Again, there are more disturbing things I could have commented on.  Utter nonsense, the things that go on around here.

Take my info for what you will.  I think the general point I was trying to make, is that applicants with post grad degrees would be tortured putting up with the nonsense and drama I posted about here for 2.3million per month. 

• KLM
  • Veteran

• May 19, 2011, 10:24:36 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 10:53:11 am »
Very good point. You'll get your point across to people better without the long descriptions and without the drama.

The long descriptions are crucial. Do you want to work for a "beret and sandals in the office" bro? I don't. It's like when Larry David won't pick up the golf ball because the other dude is wearing a hat with a string.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAWNJ9TzSso

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 11:08:46 am »
Actually, it's ironic that I'm being accused of scraping the barrel, and being dramatic because the things I commented on only scratch the surface  of the  problems at Kyungpook.

Never accused you of scraping the barrel. I merely said that's what the way it was written and the content made it sound like.

If there are other things that you didn't mention and if they're more unique to this dire situation at Kyungpook Uni than air-con restrictions and changes in the law that apply across the whole country, then perhaps you should've mentioned them instead.

• Grimne_Lothos
  • Expert Waygook

• December 28, 2011, 12:56:27 pm
    • Buyeo, south korea
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:14:42 am »
Even taking everything at face value the job sounds reasonably attractive.

• reloset
  • Explorer

• Daegu
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:31 pm »
Never accused you of scraping the barrel. I merely said that's what the way it was written and the content made it sound like.

If there are other things that you didn't mention and if they're more unique to this dire situation at Kyungpook Uni than air-con restrictions and changes in the law that apply across the whole country, then perhaps you should've mentioned them instead.
Twice, I said that  I can't comment on other things as they would expose my identity.

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:27:54 pm »
Twice, I said that  I can't comment on other things as they would expose my identity.

;D You might have said it said 5 times for all I'm aware.

But that's the point that several of us are making here. There are ways to make people notice and take seriously what you're saying. And there are ways to make a lot of people not bother reading to the end, if at all.

• reloset
  • Explorer

• Daegu
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:35:55 pm »
I asked on the Dave's thread, but you never replied: what were you doing working during the summer? Didn't you have between 8 and 10 weeks of holiday leave?
No, we must either teach an intensive credit course that condenses a full semester's work, or a language institute class for 4 weeks.  This is repeated in the winter break as well. 

• reloset
  • Explorer

• Daegu
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 12:42:24 pm »

;D You might have said it said 5 times for all I'm aware.

But that's the point that several of us are making here. There are ways to make people notice and take seriously what you're saying. And there are ways to make a lot of people not bother reading to the end, if at all.
Well, the PMs I have received say otherwise.  My forethought was, if I had condensed everything, people would dismiss it for not being specific enough.

• olonergan
  • Waygookin

• March 03, 2012, 05:55:49 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 01:26:30 pm »
Wow, you guys are callous.