Read 4749 times

• jackdaniels
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 18, 2009, 02:00:00 pm
Jackdaniels European Christmas Market Review (bah humbug)
« on: November 30, 2012, 05:31:42 pm »
2012 11/30-12/01-12pm-8pm European Christmas Market located at Hansung University station exit 2

If you live more than 10 minutes away not worth the time and effort.
The best thing about this "market" were those December calendars with a chocolate behind everyday. I didn't buy one because I'm in the middle of getting my teeth refurbished.
I did try the sauages with cabbage and two tiny slices of baguette. It was awful; tasted like boiled cabbage with no spices from a cook in germany not wanting you stay in their house after tasting the repast!
Pictures below enjoy!

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
Re: Jackdaniels European Christmas Market Review (bah humbug)
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:07:51 pm »
Yikes! That last snap is indecent. German food isn't always the most attractive but that took the biscuit! Some eye bleach (a German breakfast buffet);
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 04:43:39 am »
Man, they need to get some real Dutch and Italians etc to do these stalls.  I would be pretty upset if they served my country's food and it looked and tasted like that!!
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:55:25 am »
there's no contrast between the white of the plate and the food that's on it.....
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 30, 2010, 12:10:03 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:36:50 pm »
Yikes! That last snap is indecent. German food isn't always the most attractive but that took the biscuit! Some eye bleach (a German breakfast buffet);

I went to Berlin a couple of months ago. German food is worse than I'd thought it would be. "Currywhorst" was the biggest disappointment of the lot.

If you want good food in Germany, find your nearest Turkish quarter and get a kebab. We were there during Ramadan. Man, those Turks know how to feast when the sun goes down.

In fact, if I were to make a suggestion, I'd just tell the Germans to drop the kraut, scrape all that rubbish into the bin and start over with a nice kebab.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »
Can't say I was all that impressed. The whole thing was crowded into a tiny area so people were constantly shoulder to shoulder, the line for the German food was insane and the Christmas goods were overpriced and the selection poor.

Frankly, the steak sandwich I had there was the only decent thing I found. Oh, and the *Mexican* band was pretty enjoyable. Though last I checked Mexico was NOT in Europe.  :rolleyes:

• Jrong
  • The Legend

• April 28, 2011, 12:52:32 pm
    more
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2012, 06:25:12 pm »
South German food is better (more saucy) but not much better. There's a reason why the Doener Kebab (Turkish food) is the number 1 food in Germany...same reason why 'curry' is number 1 in England now.
"When in doubt...ask Troglodyte" ~0mnslnd

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:35 pm »
South German food is better (more saucy) but not much better. There's a reason why the Doener Kebab (Turkish food) is the number 1 food in Germany...same reason why 'curry' is number 1 in England now.

Yup. Stronger flavours in Indian food than in more traditional British food,

Still, I'd take a steak and ale pie in the UK over the slop I was served in German restaurants any day.

Come to think if it, I'd take a curry over a kebab maybe 8 times out of 10 too. Even our imported food is better.

We are not "guests" in Korea. Korea didn't invite us over for Pimms in the garden. We are paid employees.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 08:13:45 am »
Maybe your imported food is better to compensate for a severe lack of taste in traditional British food? Spice-envy, ever?  :wink: I'm biased towards German food over British but, tbh, it could just be bc I have strong emotional connection there.

IMO, there's a hierarchy to kebabs:

Best Kebab: Shawarma
Second: Gyro
Third: Doener Kebab
Fourth: Lomito Sandwich

A curry would probably beat second, third, and fourth kebabs for me but Shawarma is king. Nothing tops a Shawarma.

• flasyb
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• South Korea
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 12:58:51 pm »
Maybe your imported food is better to compensate for a severe lack of taste in traditional British food? Spice-envy, ever?  :wink: I'm biased towards German food over British but, tbh, it could just be bc I have strong emotional connection there.

IMO, there's a hierarchy to kebabs:

Best Kebab: Shawarma
Second: Gyro
Third: Doener Kebab
Fourth: Lomito Sandwich

A curry would probably beat second, third, and fourth kebabs for me but Shawarma is king. Nothing tops a Shawarma.

No spice envy. Curry is our national dish now!  ;D

Certainly, I would never envy German food. To my, albeit British, palate, British food is way better. The pies (sweet and savoury), the pasties, the pastries, the roasts, the soups and stews all surpass German food. I used to buy into the myth that British food is bland. Then I tried German food. Then I looked at what all the British celebrity chefs have been doing with homegrown recipes recently. People who claim British food is bland or bad have generally never been to a decent British restaurant or a good British pub.

Plus, although there's a place for your wiessbeers and suchlike, British beer/real ale is far more varied than German lagers and thus better. Don't get me wrong, German beer is good. It's just heavily mythologised in the concept of Oktoberfest.

PS You should, if you haven't already, try some Tandoori kebabs, Jrong.

• Jrong
  • The Legend

more
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 03:42:58 pm »
There are millions of other kebabs, I just wrote some of the big names. :) I used to eat a lot of Shami Kebabs too.

Ha ha! Well, I do like British meat pies better than most German food (worked at an 'authentic' British pub once and enjoyed the discounts) but when it comes to desserts...please. Germans are just better than British at making desserts. And Danish are better than Germans. And Americans (who have abandoned strict adhesion to Old World Traditions and modified those foods creatively) make the best desserts by far. Imho.

• JeremyC
  • Featured Contributor

• July 15, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2012, 04:03:54 pm »
I went to Berlin a couple of months ago. German food is worse than I'd thought it would be. "Currywhorst" was the biggest disappointment of the lot.

If you want good food in Germany, find your nearest Turkish quarter and get a kebab. We were there during Ramadan. Man, those Turks know how to feast when the sun goes down.

In fact, if I were to make a suggestion, I'd just tell the Germans to drop the kraut, scrape all that rubbish into the bin and start over with a nice kebab.

Agreed! I was in Berlin in 2010 and had a really good shawarma in a small Arabic place in the north of the city, although I enjoyed the street currywurst too. I was really hungry at the time and it was on the 'beach', so that probably added to the overall experience.
It's nice to be important but more important to be nice.

• loumac
  • Waygookin

• March 10, 2011, 12:55:03 pm
    • Yesan, Chungnam
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 06:20:26 am »
I went to the European Christmas market too and it was, as the OP said, small. I thought it was okay. I tried the smoked salmon on rye bread (I think that's what it was). It didn't really taste of anything, but the mulled wine wasn't bad. Pretty strong. I didn't stay very long as there wasn't much to see.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 07:39:43 am »
I also went. I thought it was terrible this year! The queues for all the stalls were madness! I only went for the mulled wine, that being manned by 3 Koreans took the novelty away. The 40 mins in the queue was a joke too.

They really need to move the location to a bigger place. The Italian and Dutch stalls were manned by people of those coutries. I didn't try any of the food, it looked all like mush.

As for the chocolate advent calenders, my mum sends me one in the post every year, regardless that I'm 37!
I still appreciate it. Ahhh I forgot to grab it this morning, there'll be murder if my fella has eaten it!!

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 07:48:05 am »
I went with a couple of friends and I really enjoyed it.  It was really busy and I think they could probably expand it a little bit next year, but the atmosphere was just what I was hoping for.  My friends and I were a little overwhelmed when we got there, so we walked around all the stalls once when a band from Mexico started playing music.  It distracted pretty much everyone in the vicinity, so after watching them play a song or two, we took advantage of the short lines to get some lunch.

I had the lentils with sausage and it was so amazingly good!  The presentation of it was lacking, but the taste was really nice!

I suppose the experience was just what you made of it.

I bought one of the Advent Calendars as well.  Love those!  Since I also grew up for a couple of years in Holland, I grabbed some stroopwafels and kruidnoten at the Netherlands booth.  If anyone wants some delicious treats in the future, you should get those!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 07:57:15 am by alyssa.callahan »

• namerae
  • Featured Contributor

• September 26, 2011, 09:38:41 am
    • Anyang, South Korea
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 07:51:35 am »
Frankly, the steak sandwich I had there was the only decent thing I found. Oh, and the *Mexican* band was pretty enjoyable. Though last I checked Mexico was NOT in Europe.  :rolleyes:

Spain, maybe?

Making mulled wine at home is pretty easy. Then again, I really hate crowds and lines, especially in Asia. Makes shopping pretty difficult.

Anyone know where to find an advent calendar? I found one 2 years ago in a Daiso, but I've been looking around with no luck this year.

• Suza
  • Super Waygook

• March 21, 2011, 07:32:17 am
    • Sanbon
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:18:40 am »
I went with a couple of friends and I really enjoyed it.  It was really busy and I think they could probably expand it a little bit next year, but the atmosphere was just what I was hoping for.  My friends and I were a little overwhelmed when we got there, so we walked around all the stalls once when a band from Mexico started playing music.  It distracted pretty much everyone in the vicinity, so after watching them play a song or two, we took advantage of the short lines to get some lunch.

I had the lentils with sausage and it was so amazingly good!  The presentation of it was lacking, but the taste was really nice!

I suppose the experience was just what you made of it.

I bought one of the Advent Calendars as well.  Love those!  Since I also grew up for a couple of years in Holland, I grabbed some stroopwafels and kruidnoten at the Netherlands booth.  If anyone wants some delicious treats in the future, you should get those!

Ahh I wanted to get kruidenoten but they had sold out!! Stroopwafels can be found in the supermarkets, even some of the GS and 7-11 sell them. I didn't see any stollen there, or krentenbollen. I miss those little goodies, I lived in Zeeland for 4 years.

• chedder
  • Waygookin

• December 15, 2010, 10:24:14 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 08:29:04 am »
I bought advent calendars in Emart yesterday for 1500 won. I was shocked to see them there along with lots of other discounted Christmas chocolates.

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:17 pm »

Spain, maybe?

I doubt a band from Spain would shout "Viva Mexico!" at the end of a song.  :laugh: