Read 7337 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
I understand this whole saving face thing, but I dont' think it's THAT bad. Over a month ago, some student stole 15 of the kids' cellphones during the school festival and the police were called. Even though the police won't do jack, at least they called them.

What don't you think is bad? Saving face? Stealing 15 cellphones? Police not doing anything?

Can't think of anything positive about any of the three, can you?

Let me put it another way. The fact that someone stole 15 cell phones and the police were called and did nothing makes face saving not so bad?

Come on Nobbie... give us some feedback.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• 제이
  • Super Waygook

• October 19, 2011, 12:43:22 pm
    • Suwon, Gyeonggi-do
    more

Basically, it's all magical time with police staying out of it till it's your 15 year old daughter being raped and murdered on the phone in Suwon while on the phone to the bored and indifferent police.  In this specific case, it's "Boys will be boys!" unless your kid has a reaction and perhaps dies from their little prank.  In your dad's time, I'm sure young white guys got off regularly for 'pranks' that would have landed other people in jail.  Now that the playing field is being evened, it's become a police state.  Meh.

Is this referring to a news story or just a hypothetical?

As a Suwon resident I'm curious

• S.Lee
  • Super Waygook

• January 24, 2011, 01:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
This saving face thing is so bad, people almost get away with murder because of this.

almost?

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/family-of-man-killed-by-spitting-student-struggle-to-survive.html

(admittedly the wife of the deceased said she didnt want any punishment, but still)

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
This saving face thing is so bad, people almost get away with murder because of this.

almost?

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/family-of-man-killed-by-spitting-student-struggle-to-survive.html

(admittedly the wife of the deceased said she didnt want any punishment, but still)

Unbelievable !!!

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side

Basically, it's all magical time with police staying out of it till it's your 15 year old daughter being raped and murdered on the phone in Suwon while on the phone to the bored and indifferent police.  In this specific case, it's "Boys will be boys!" unless your kid has a reaction and perhaps dies from their little prank.  In your dad's time, I'm sure young white guys got off regularly for 'pranks' that would have landed other people in jail.  Now that the playing field is being evened, it's become a police state.  Meh.

Is this referring to a news story or just a hypothetical?

As a Suwon resident I'm curious

I was referring to this recent story:

http://www.koreabang.com/2012/stories/incompetent-police-fail-to-prevent-horrific-murder-of-woman.html

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
A few months ago the police were in my elementary school, interviewing 6th grade boys and showing them videos in the teachers' room. Other staff were a bit evasive about the whole thing, but I was persistent and kept asking. It seems some of the boys were 'touching' the girls

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
I understand this whole saving face thing, but I dont' think it's THAT bad. Over a month ago, some student stole 15 of the kids' cellphones during the school festival and the police were called. Even though the police won't do jack, at least they called them.

Okay I'll you guys what happened in full. The 2nd grade homeroom teacher who's in charge of the class which the phones mostly got stolen from, broke down one day in class. She started crying really hard, worried about losing her job. One student felt really bad for her and told her his friend from outside the school actually stole everyone's phone.

I dunno if the police did anything to that kid who stole it or to the buddy who was blatantly his accomplice. But yeah, I doubt it. Frequently, my co-teachers do try to explain the bad behaviour of some kids, citing their tough family life and stuff. I do feel sympathetic, but it shouldn't be allowed to give these kids a free pass to do whatever the hell they feel like. My co-teachers at times, really do come down hard on the kids. My main one is really great at disciplining the kids...they all quiet down when she's in the room but they eventually start acting retarded again sometimes. Lately she's been giving me more control, and I've been trying to control the class more but she doesn't support my efforts enough. I really need her back...I dunno why she's not. The only reason I can think of is that enough kids complained about her to the VP and so now she's trying to be nice.

Yeah I guess saving face is big here...it's retarded with what students can get away with it.

What don't you think is bad? Saving face? Stealing 15 cellphones? Police not doing anything?

Let me put it another way. The fact that someone stole 15 cell phones and the police were called and did nothing makes face saving not so bad?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more

Okay I'll you guys what happened in full. The 2nd grade homeroom teacher who's in charge of the class which the phones mostly got stolen from, broke down one day in class. She started crying really hard, worried about losing her job. One student felt really bad for her and told her his friend from outside the school actually stole everyone's phone.

I dunno if the police did anything to that kid who stole it or to the buddy who was blatantly his accomplice. But yeah, I doubt it. Frequently, my co-teachers do try to explain the bad behaviour of some kids, citing their tough family life and stuff. I do feel sympathetic, but it shouldn't be allowed to give these kids a free pass to do whatever the hell they feel like. My co-teachers at times, really do come down hard on the kids. My main one is really great at disciplining the kids...they all quiet down when she's in the room but they eventually start acting retarded again sometimes. Lately she's been giving me more control, and I've been trying to control the class more but she doesn't support my efforts enough. I really need her back...I dunno why she's not. The only reason I can think of is that enough kids complained about her to the VP and so now she's trying to be nice.

Yeah I guess saving face is big here...it's retarded with what students can get away with it.

Sorry I am still confused, how does that make face saving not so bad? It is all part of face saving and all of it is bad.

• Nobbie Q
  • Veteran

• June 17, 2012, 05:15:58 pm
    • Seongnam, South Korea
Well i guess because they at least did something about it. They did actually call the police and I just figure the police aren't gonna do anything about it cuz they suck regardless, not because they want to make the school look bad.